The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value Of) Zybnek Michalek.

Mr.53

Before I start, i know how much CDCers don't like rentals, and honestly I don't either. However, if it's the right price, you can't pass up a good deal. JB says he's serious about the playoffs. Well if he is, we still have to pay something up. A lot of people like the idea of acquiring a top 4 defenseman, or a top 6 forward, but don't like giving up pieces in return. Honestly, I think Michalek is the closest thing we can get to that sweet spot where we improve our back end and don't have to give up too much.

Apparently Phoenix is trying to trade their assets off. We need help on the defensive end. I feel like Michalek would be a good enough fit, that we can make this team better. He is a defensive defensman and capable of playing a shut down role. He is 6'2, 210 pounds, and capable of defending. He possess a hard shot, and decent overall offensive ability. He isn't overly aggressive, but he is still capable of shutting down the opposition. His offensive numbers in the past were not that bad; however in recent seasons it seems like his offense is dissipating, similar to Bieksa's. Still he is a known quality shutdown defender who can still rip a point shot from a good pass from the Sedins. His contract is for 4 million, but if I'm not mistaken, it's up after this year anyway. That in of itself could drive the price down, however they are still division rivals. He's 32 years old as well, so he gives a veteran presence as well.

I like the idea of a healthy back end looking like

Hamhuis Michalek/Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa/Michalek

(Stanton)

In the meantime, while waiting for Hamhuis, we have

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Michalek/Bieksa

Stanton Bieksa/Michalek

thoughts?

Oh and by the way… Merry Christmas, happy holidays and all that

We need to target a Jonas Brodin type player.

I both agree and disagree. I agree, yes we should starlet a Jonas Brodin type, young 21 year old type player, but that just isn't going to happen without giving significant pieces back. Matter of fact, we would have to give up so much, it really wouldn't even be worth it. I'm talking Kassian+. Maybe even Kassian++. Guys like Michalek can make an immediate impact now, while Hamhuis is sidelined, an impact when he comes back and bolsters our back end on the defensive side, as well as potential playoff impact for a MUCH lower price.

I don't like rentals, but if he's willing to stay then he would be a great pickup. Depending on the asking price that is.

Can never have too many quality defencemen.

Me neither. In fact I hate them; however, the fact that it is a rental could, and probably would, drive the price down. He's a quality defenceman, that shouldn't cost too much, and his team is already looking to unload assets and pieces. It's a great fit. Also it could be good that his contract is up. If he plays well and sticks, we can discuss a new contract and not have him strapped on for 4 million long term.

If it's at the trade deadline I'd think up to a 2nd round pick, depending on how hard a bargain Don Maloney can drive for him.

Robyn Regehr was sold for two 2nd's to L.A. two years ago, and that was in an apparent "fire sale".
Even Boston acquired Andrej Meszaros before for a 3rd.

Much cheaper before free agency though. As you probably remember, Ehrhoff's rights only brought back a 4th.

I'd still do it at the deadline if we're serious about going on a run though. Maybe trade Sbisa for him?

• 2 weeks later...

If it's at the trade deadline I'd think up to a 2nd round pick, depending on how hard a bargain Don Maloney can drive for him.

Robyn Regehr was sold for two 2nd's to L.A. two years ago, and that was in an apparent "fire sale".

Even Boston acquired Andrej Meszaros before for a 3rd.

Much cheaper before free agency though. As you probably remember, Ehrhoff's rights only brought back a 4th.

I'd still do it at the deadline if we're serious about going on a run though. Maybe trade Sbisa for him?

Hmmmm honestly I'd love any of the 3 top dman from the Coyotes. But didn't they say they want a forward in return as part of the package? Or was that just for yandle? If zby can be had for a 3rd I would do it in a heartbeat.

Michalek would definitely be the cheapest between OEL and Yandle. I'd assume OEL is untouchable but man would he look good in a canucks uniform.

This is what I would pay for each dman

Yandle for 1st 2015, Jensen and Corrado (don't think Arizona would do this though... No active roster players)

OEL for 1st 2015, Kassian, and Corrado (I'd personally sell the farm for a guy of OELs calibre. He's locked up long term and is very young)

And lastly for Zby, the topic of discussion - I'd part with any pick aside from the first rounder as he is a rental.

Hope JB is working the phones and evaluating any possibility for these 3 guys. Zby is obviously the most realistic option.

Wouldn't mind Michalek. Hefty price at 4 mil but he's a reliable shutdown defenceman like you said. Don't need him to produce offence if he's getting the job done defensively. That being said, I can foresee Michalek being acquired for at least a 3rd and a forward prospect as the highest he will garner the closer we get to the trade deadline.

Wouldn't mind Michalek. Hefty price at 4 mil but he's a reliable shutdown defenceman like you said. Don't need him to produce offence if he's getting the job done defensively. That being said, I can foresee Michalek being acquired for at least a 3rd and a forward prospect as the highest he will garner the closer we get to the trade deadline.

Who do you figure the forward prospect would be from us including the 3rd?

Honestly, I think it would be a steal. Especially if we could lock him up for less than his current cap hit.

Again, I don't know much about him but his +- is better than both OEL and yandle. I assume it's because he doesn't get the top pair matchups they get though.

He's the best fit, that we could use and not lose too much. If trade for him ASAP. I hate bringing in dman right at the deadline, they never get enough time to gel with the rest of the team. The earlier we pull the trigger, the better.

1) With the emergence of Edler and Tanev as an effective shutdown pairing, and the pending return of Hamhuis, Michalek is not the type of player we need.

2) Our team is performing well, but no way in hell are we getting past Chicago, Anaheim and/or LA in the playoffs. So I would rather spend assets on something that can help us next season and beyond.

1) With the emergence of Edler and Tanev as an effective shutdown pairing, and the pending return of Hamhuis, Michalek is not the type of player we need.

2) Our team is performing well, but no way in hell are we getting past Chicago, Anaheim and/or LA in the playoffs. So I would rather spend assets on something that can help us next season and beyond.

What? We've proven we're better than all 3 of those teams in our matchups...

A guy like zby can put us over the top... Especially if it only takes a 3rd rounder and a prospect.

Archived