The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finally Bobby Sanguietti gets called up!

desiboynux4lifee*******

I'm pretty sure the 10/30 waivers rule refers to 30 days on the NHL roster and not 30 calendar days.

The most recent example would be last season with Pascal Pelletier. He was sent through waivers and assigned to Utica on September 20th, 2013. Then recalled October 24th, reassigned October 26th, recalled February 4th, 2014, and finally reassigned on February 9th, 2014.

He only had to clear waivers on the first AHL assignment, on September 20th. All the other movements that season were without waivers IIRC.

So Sanguinetti should still have a fair sized chunk of NHL roster days left before his waiver status resets. I believe he only spent two days on the roster in November. And he didn't dress so he has the full 10 games remaining as well.

I'm pretty sure the 10/30 waivers rule refers to 30 days on the NHL roster and not 30 calendar days.

The most recent example would be last season with Pascal Pelletier. He was sent through waivers and assigned to Utica on September 20th, 2013. Then recalled October 24th, reassigned October 26th, recalled February 4th, 2014, and finally reassigned on February 9th, 2014.

He only had to clear waivers on the first AHL assignment, on September 20th. All the other movements that season were without waivers IIRC.

So Sanguinetti should still have a fair sized chunk of NHL roster days left before his waiver status resets. I believe he only spent two days on the roster in November. And he didn't dress so he has the full 10 games remaining as well.

Well, ok, I looked further. You're right. Sanguinetti is not subject to waivers if sent back down before he's been on the roster 30 days, cumulative since he last cleared waivers.

Section 13.2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement reads:

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.

Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Playermay be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:
(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver
Period; and
( the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since
Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

Weber has more SOG than half our roster. Including Henrik, Tanev, Hansen, among others.

So he shoots more than the best passer on the team playing with two snipers,a more defensively inclined defesemen, who doesn't quarterback a PP and a fourth liner. I would have never guessed. :frantic:

Well, ok, I looked further. You're right. Sanguinetti is not subject to waivers if sent back down before he's been on the roster 30 days, cumulative since he last cleared waivers.

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.

Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Playermay be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

Period; and

(B) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since

Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

Thanks for this. I was pretty sure but I don't keep a copy of the CBA on mobile and didn't feel like downloading the PDF on my phone.

And as far as Bobby Sanguinetti goes, I'm definitely in the camp that hopes he plays on this call up. The most obvious choice would be to swap him into Weber's spot. Bobby does everything better than Weber IMO except hitting. He's a phenomenal skater, and actually won the skating comp at the AHL all star a few years back, setting a record at the time IIRC. He also has a very hard shot and has competed in the AHL competition and some team skills tourneys, although I remember him whiffing a bit at the 2010 AHL all star and I've only seen him clocked at just under 90 mph (still good but he can shoot harder).

More than velocity though, he has a knack for getting shots through from the point, whether slappers or wristers, and knows when an accurate "off speed" attempt is better than putting your head down and blasting away.

He's also a guy with more offensive dynamism, in terms of "puck rushing" ability, than pretty much anybody on our current D.

And unlike in the past, this year's version of Bobby Sangs has added strength to his frame and has tightened up his play in his own end (he's Utica's best D and leads the team in plus/minus).

We need to see what he can do at the NHL level. And Comets fans deserve better than having the parent team steal away their #1D to merely fill a chair in the Canucks' press box.

It's almost a shame that this is happening right after the Christmas break. If it was during a busier stretch, I might even argue for resting Bieksa for a game and letting Bobby sub in for him.

EDIT: added a little a fixed a couple typos

Let's hope he doesn't just sit in the press box like Biega and Corrado did. Give Weber a game off and see what BS can do.

Completely agree. Last time he was called up he sat in the press box for one game then went back down. So far the Canucks have been giving the Utica defencemen turns sitting in the press box: Sanguinetti, then Corrado, then Biega, now Sanguinetti again. They are of course happy to get the extra money as they are all on two-way contracts that pay much more (between 3 times as much and ten times as much for each NHL game they are on the 23 man roster).

But it real is time to give Sanguinetti a chance. He has been outstanding in Utica whereas Weber has been so-so on the Canucks. I just don't see how the coaches can be so confident Weber is better than Sanguinetti. I don't see what more he could do in Utica to prove himself.

For me Weber has been pretty steady. I don't believe in lying about a player's performances to justify him being dropped in favour of the latest "new thing" I doubt Willie does either and he is the guy that counts.

Having said that I have no problem in giving Weber (or anyone else) a rest so that we can see what Sanguinetti has got under the hood.

PS OP, how about getting the guy's name right?

Period; and
( the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since

10 ''NHL'' games and 30 days ''on an NHL roster."

Safe he is then. Thanx for digging it up!

Still happy he / somebody (with some speed and puck skills) is getting a crack. Hope he does well!

Completely agree. Last time he was called up he sat in the press box for one game then went back down. So far the Canucks have been giving the Utica defencemen turns sitting in the press box: Sanguinetti, then Corrado, then Biega, now Sanguinetti again. They are of course happy to get the extra money as they are all on two-way contracts that pay much more (between 3 times as much and ten times as much for each NHL game they are on the 23 man roster).

But it real is time to give Sanguinetti a chance. He has been outstanding in Utica whereas Weber has been so-so on the Canucks. I just don't see how the coaches can be so confident Weber is better than Sanguinetti. I don't see what more he could do in Utica to prove himself.

Agree on giving BobS a chance. However, I disagree that Weber has been terrible. He is two points behind our leading defenceman in points.

He is a serviceable bottom pairing defenceman. Not one a contender, but we are not one either...

Archived