The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is most frustrating about this team?

Outsiders

Most frustrating thing about this team is the ranting and raving of all the Fair weather fans. Go jump on another bandwagon, we don't need you!

Who's this "we" and by what devine right do you determine what other fans should say or feel?!

Get over yourself!

What's frustrating as someone who's played major junior hockey is the fans that think hockey is a switch... you turn it on and win. Or it's about a coach... or an aging defensemen... so many clueless wonders who watch hockey.

Good for you but you are not the only one on here who has played at that level. If you are saying that a coach isn't a factor or an aging/declining defenseman then you must have been the stick boy on your team.

Most frustrating thing about this team is the ranting and raving of all the Fair weather fans. Go jump on another bandwagon, we don't need you!

I would tend to think that if somebody is posting on the CDC mid season that they are not bandwagon jumpers or fair weather fans. You may want to look into getting some antidepressants/antianxiety medication.

Guys like the sedins and bieksa dont underperform on purpose. They are getting older and this is to be expected. Sedins cant be second line players at the moment because there is noone to fill there shoes. It is what it is and we are just going to have to be patient while Benning rebuilds this team which includes purging out some of our older players on big contracts. Personally i think he has a tough job ahead trying to build a top line, get a pmd whos young and a top pairing.if we draft a number one center he will be 3 years away.

I dont get all the hate for weber and sbisa. They are our bottom pair and play as such.they get a little more ice time because wd is trying to take the load off of our top 4 so there flaws are extrapolated.

we are just going to have to be patient. We are 4 years from contention.

I actually believe this. I think in the last year of the Sedins Contract we might go back by this time

Jake Virtanen

Hunter Shinkaruk

Nicklas Jensen

Brenden Gaunce

Jared MacCann

Tryamkin will all have 1-3 years experience not to mention the free agent signings and trades

_______-________-________

Sedin-Sedin-________

Good for you but you are not the only one on here who has played at that level. If you are saying that a coach isn't a factor or an aging/declining defenseman then you must have been the stick boy on your team.

I get what he's saying. People want a quick fix but when you're playing under salary caps and with limited players that all teams are vying for, you have to do things as a patchwork. You roll the dice on young players and hope they develop as expected.

There is no replacement parts store where you simply slide in some new spark plugs and go. So if you remove an aging player you have to replace them and therein is where the problem lies. "Upgrades" aren't on demand and sometimes it's a be careful what you wish for as you actually risk not improving at all in making changes. It's complex and this is not a video game.

So I believe that's what he's saying...this team has made some significant changes (in management, goaltending, etc.). It isn't an immediate thing...over time you tweak and tinker, NOT a nightly basis as is often called for here.

I get what he's saying. People want a quick fix but when you're playing under salary caps and with limited players that all teams are vying for, you have to do things as a patchwork. You roll the dice on young players and hope they develop as expected.

There is no replacement parts store where you simply slide in some new spark plugs and go. So if you remove an aging player you have to replace them and therein is where the problem lies. "Upgrades" aren't on demand and sometimes it's a be careful what you wish for as you actually don't improve at all in making changes. It's complex and this is not a video game.

Fair comment and I think most of us agree with/understand this. It still doesn't discount the argument that those are factors which he appears to dismiss.

Also, there are lots of posters on here who played at that level or higher and/or coached or are students of the game. Using his playing experience to discredit other comments is somewhat arrogant, to say the least.

I get tired of daily knee jerk reactions to a game, last night is a prime example. We salvaged a point from a top team... we move on to the next game.

I get tired of daily knee jerk reactions to a game, last night is a prime example. We salvaged a point from a top team... we move on to the next game.

My reaction isn't based on one game. It's based on the current makeup of the team and the foreseeable future (playoff success) with all the NTC's and the declining performance of the vet's. Love the team, won't cheer for another.

ive been actually quite happy with our teams results thus far this season....way exceeding my expectations.

what frustrates me this year, is the Sunday games that are broadcast on city tv.....i live in BC, but in my area we dont get that channel yet so i have to watch online and that kinda sucks.

the Nux will be the dark horse this year and could play spoiler for some of the elite teams that may have to face us in the first round....teams will fear us because of our unpredictability.....oooooooh scary stuff kids! [count Floyd]

obvious is obvious.

i love the sedins. the reality is that this team likely wont win a playoff round with them at the helm unless we draw a favorable matchup. they have been amazing over their careers and still show flashes of their brilliance. but their calling card of their prime was the scoring consistency they played with. that consistency seems to only show vs lack luster defenses these days. theyd still be solid in a secondary role imo, and are far from "washed up".

i love bieksa. the guy, the character, the leader.... off the ice. im willing to give him a spot on the club just for the fact that he bleeds blue and green.... but the top 3 dman days are gone. limited ice time and selective deployment is needed in his case.

bonino, higgins, burrows... meh. theyre usefull players, but shouldnt be considered core players on any competitive team.

Defensive depth.... Realistically, I see our healthy D look like:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - ______

______ - Bieksa

Stanton

The hope is that we get a stellar PMD to pair with Hammer, and a mobile, physical two way D to play with Juice. Stanton is a solid #7.

Biggest issue for me is lack of a 1st line. We currently run with a 2nd - 3rd - 3rd - 3rd lineup. Its interesting that this formation can compete in the West as we can often match up the depth of our team well with most of the Conference. If we could replace Higgins, Burrows, and Bonino with just one legitimate 1st liner, Id like our chances better and believe that we still have enough depth on the roster to overcome those loses.

The forwards as Id like to see them:

______ - ______ - Kassian/Vey

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian/Vey

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

1.) The team needs more small, fast, skilled forwards who are all over 6' tall and weight 200+ lbs. and who play a physical game, can go to the dirty areas to score, and can dominate along the boards. They should also be able to drop the gloves and fight like Odjick, but we don't want them to be goons because there's no place for that in the NHL these days.

2.) We need an experienced, world class #1 goalie, but we also want our up and coming goalie prospects to each play 82 games at the NHL level.

3.) The guys on defense should each be able to score 20+ goals, be a PMD, be able to QB the PP, have a great shot from the point, and be able to be physical and deliver punishing hits. Having size is not a requirement, but they should to be Chara-sized at a minimum.

4.) The team should only draft guys who don't age. Having all these guys who are 30+ is getting old.

5.) On the subject of drafting, the team should also get a new scouting staff, and only draft guys who the fans want. I think that "take-backsies" should also be allowed on Canucks' picks.

6.) The team should also only get guys (drafted or UFA signings) who are loyal to the team and "bleed blue", which includes (but is not restricted to) them taking a hometown discount on their contracts. They should also happily leave town and go play on bottom feeder teams when the fanbase decide that they no longer wanted... this week.

7.) The owner, GM and coach should do what we want, because we're footing the bill for all this, right?

I believe that if these changes are implemented then we will get the team that we deserve....

regards,

G.

+1. Pretty much sums it up in a nice tidy package.

1) The Sedins

They are great players don't get me wrong. We were one of the luckiest teams for 10 years. The way they play the game. The way they find each other But man its so frustrating to watch them against playoff teams. They are no where to be found. They get pushed around and can't get anything going offensively and its just as painful to watch them play in the defensive zone, as I always feel like we are about to get scored on.

2) Bieska

He was part of the core but that has come and gone. I will always like him for his leadership and how he leaves everything out on the ice but man If anyone thought Edler was bad defensively Bieksa takes that to a whole new level. If I were Benning id trade him to Toronto (One of the few places he'd maybe waive but i doubt it). I know Bieksa wants to believe in this team but he makes so many bonehead plays now he is holding this team back. He is not worth 4.6 people. I don't care how much you may like him and what he means to this team but its time. We could use the cap space.

3) Our top 6

Probably one of the weaker in the league

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

(all top six players but are past prime)

Higgins-Bonino-Burrows/Hansen/Dorsett

( Are all bottom 6 players, except maybe Bonino but needs to get better on face-offs.)

Against playoffs teams like I said in the Sedin part, our top 6 goes know where. Its our bottom 6 that is scoring and winning us the game, I think our bottom 6 is top 5 in the league. But the problem is we have 3 bottom six lines. Are top 6 just gets pushed around by these big playoff teams. ( California teams , CHI, STL)

4) Not having a PMD, i can't stand this one. Our PP was best in the league in 2010-2011 because we actually had someone that could rush the puck up the ice. Edler can't. he gets to centre and then leaves it to Hank. All good teams have a PMD. La - Doughty, MTL - Subban. We need one so bad. We might not even have a 25 point d-man this year. our d must be bottom 3 in the league in scoring ( G + A)

You need a powerplay to score on one. The Ducks record reflects the favoritism they get with the officials. 1st overall in the league and half of their arena was empty. Might have something to do with the 4-1 pp's they've had in the season series thus far including no pp's last night, unless your counting the 5 second pp we had last night. Dorsett gets high sticked the shift before they score their first goal no call, then Hansen goes to the net and is interfered with, no call and they score on their way back down the ice. Ducks are a good team, but the officials can sure swing a close game.

You need a powerplay to score on one. The Ducks record reflects the favoritism they get with the officials. 1st overall in the league and half of their arena was empty. Might have something to do with the 4-1 pp's they've had in the season series thus far including no pp's last night, unless your counting the 5 second pp we had last night. Dorsett gets high sticked the shift before they score their first goal no call, then Hansen goes to the net and is interfered with, no call and they score on their way back down the ice. Ducks are a good team, but the officials can sure swing a close game.

Do realize that fans of all 30 teams believe their team gets the short end of every ref call.

There is really nothing to be "frusterated" about with the current edition of the Canucks. The core is declining beyond their prime, as has been beaten to death. There will be a transistion period between now and the time the next core rises up, and, at this point no one know for sure who the next core will even comprise of. Instead of being frusterated with the team, why not accept that the current core provided you all with some fantastic seasons, a trip to the finals, and lots of great moments. Even today, though they are past their prime, they are still playing competitive hockey, have 3-4 games in hand on everyone around them in the conference, and have a good shot at making the playoffs. Every team goes threw highs and lows. How low were Chicago and LA just 7-10 years ago. They were basement dwellers for a while, now they each have 2 of the last 5 cups. Take a look at Edmonton, they havent seen playoffs since 06, 8 years going on 9. Things arent that bad are they?

Miracles and changes don't happen in one season, it takes time to draft, trade, aquire and build a competitive team, and the Canucks are just a few seasons removed from Presidents Trophy back to back.

Where were you when we were playing entire games without getting a penalty or on games like the one against the Yotes where we got SIX PP's.?

Do realize that fans of all 30 teams believe their team gets the short end of every ref call.

There is really nothing to be "frusterated" about with the current edition of the Canucks. The core is declining beyond their prime, as has been beaten to death. There will be a transistion period between now and the time the next core rises up, and, at this point no one know for sure who the next core will even comprise of. Instead of being frusterated with the team, why not accept that the current core provided you all with some fantastic seasons, a trip to the finals, and lots of great moments. Even today, though they are past their prime, they are still playing competitive hockey, have 3-4 games in hand on everyone around them in the conference, and have a good shot at making the playoffs. Every team goes threw highs and lows. How low were Chicago and LA just 7-10 years ago. They were basement dwellers for a while, now they each have 2 of the last 5 cups. Take a look at Edmonton, they havent seen playoffs since 06, 8 years going on 9. Things arent that bad are they?

Miracles and changes don't happen in one season, it takes time to draft, trade, aquire and build a competitive team, and the Canucks are just a few seasons removed from Presidents Trophy back to back.

I'm tired of looking in the rearview mirror. I appreciate and enjoyed what was. Ready for a change.

This team isn't winning anything of consequence with this core. Re-arranging deck chairs doesn't change the sum of the ingredients.

Bieksa....It's like he's always playing injured. Loafing around, waiting for the puck to find him, and then making terrible passes. I get that age slows you down, but how do you forget how to play?

Sbisa will hopefully improve, but right now he isn't worth what he's being paid. Not even close.

The first line without Burrows looks bad most of the time because nobody ever wants to screen the goalie or go for any greasy goals. Vrbata is the most predictable shooter on any powerplay in the NHL. Daniel hardly ever shoots anymore...watching them make an extra pass and lose the puck is getting a little old. 19 million in salary should buy more than we've seen so far.

There's a ton more I know, but these are in my opinion the main issues.

Archived