The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Magnus Paajarvi

VanGnome

Oilers absolutely butchered his development

i hate that team

How so?

I don't know specific details of Paajarvi's development and others might.

It is easy to note that Paajarvi spent his first season in North America getting 2nd or 3rd line minutes on a bad Oilers team as a 19 year old, then spent the next 2 seasons splitting time between the Oilers and their AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City.

One never knows how a specific player would have turned out if handled differently, but the obvious question that comes to mind when someone plays in the NHL at 19 then gets sent down at 20 and doesn't seem develop after his rookie season is whether he was rushed to the NHL before he was really ready, without having learned the pro game, without having to develop a consistent game to earn playing time and without good role models to learn from at the NHL level.

Again, though, I can't say whether that was the case with Paajarvi so can only ask the questions that, unfortunately, nobody can answer for certain without a time machine. (And no, I didn't spend last night watching "Back to the Future.")

I looked on the Oilers NHL.com forum. The few posters to the thread about Paajarvi being waived for the most part (it wasn't unanimous) seemed to like him and think he still was worth a shot. http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/topic/15981-paajarvi-on-waivers/?hl=paajarvi

Why do people want the Canucks to claim him? I don't think he adds much to the team, plus our forward group is already crowded.

My guess is he goes to Carolina.

Because people are greedy, their dream team consists of 100 forwards.

But yea, this guy doesn't work for our team at all.

Because people are greedy, their dream team consists of 100 forwards.

But yea, this guy doesn't work for our team at all.

I agree.

Pajaarvi would just create a road block in the future for our prospects. Currently Matthias is a better player in his potential position and he just simply cannot score goals enough for a top 6. Hence the reason not a single team gave him a shot.

Archived