The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN-WPG

VanGnome

Jets lost Kane until early February, and with them fighting for their playoff lives (they need to make it more so than the Canucks this season), I think this might be a good opportunity to improve our despairingly bad defensive depth.

WPG

Z. Kassian

J. Hansen

1st 2016

VAN

J. Trouba

Even though Winnipeg has defensive depth to burn (with Morrissey almost having made the lineup last year), still having Bogosian as their 1RHD, it would still take a significant bounty to pry loose one of the best up and coming young two way defensmen in the league.

Add to Trouba being 6'2 and 200 lbs, he's a RH defenceman that immediately becomes our first pairing RH defenceman that has been lacking for so many years.

Canucks give up a 1st in a projected good draft, a versatile speedy winger in Hansen who can shore up their PK and add scoring to the bottom 6. Kassian is a player I loathe to part ways with, but for a chance to get a defenceman like Trouba it makes the pill easier to swallow.

True Kassian has struggled the past season and a half, and really hadn't had much of a chance to prove himself this season with injuries; I think he would fit in better with Winnipeg and with a change of scenery could really break out.

Our lineup (once Hamhuis is back)

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Dorsett (that line looked great vs Anaheim)

Matthias - Richardson - Vey

Burrows - Horvat - Jensen

Hamhuis - Trouba

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller

Lack

I think you missed the part where Winnipeg's defensive injury status is even worse off than their forwards, including Trouba who's injured until February as well. Along with Trouba (who they'd never move anyway) they also have Stuart out until February, and both Bogosian and Enstrom out until later in January.

That is not nearly a good enough deal to get Trouba from Winnipeg just because Kane's injured. Winnipeg is on a roll as well, and might be the best Canadian team at the moment despite all their injuries.

For Trouba, I'd think Winnipeg would ask for Virtanen+ - which of course we wouldn't do. Maybe there's a possible deal involving one of Shinkaruk or McCann, then adding Corrado and a 1st, but they'd likely want more on that as well.

Yeah, I don't see us getting involved with Winnipeg in a trade at this time. Edmonton and Arizona are done.

So right now looks like the Ducks should take it, with 4 teams fighting for 3 playoff spots.

Chicago, St Louis, and Nashville look to be in. Winnipeg is 4th, the other 3 teams don't seem to have it this year.

If the Canucks get 5th, they could still be ahead of Winnipeg or Minny.

With Trouba out for a few more weeks, this trade helps them more for this year. We don't want to do that.

Yeah, I don't see us getting involved with Winnipeg in a trade at this time. Edmonton and Arizona are done.

So right now looks like the Ducks should take it, with 4 teams fighting for 3 playoff spots.

Chicago, St Louis, and Nashville look to be in. Winnipeg is 4th, the other 3 teams don't seem to have it this year.

If the Canucks get 5th, they could still be ahead of Winnipeg or Minny.

With Trouba out for a few more weeks, this trade helps them more for this year. We don't want to do that.

Agreed. Vancouver fans should want Winnipeg to tumble down the standings so the Wild Card stays open since I say Cali' takes the 3 Pacific spots.

A number of untouchables in Winnipeg, Trouba is one of them.

It bothers me when people say players are untouchable. No they aren't. Every smart GM in the league knows that there is a price for anyone. If Pittsburgh offered Sidney Crosby for Jacob Trouba, do you think they would say Trouba is untouchable? Of course not. The only potentially "untouchable" players in the league are Crosby adn Stamkos, but even with them, if Tampa was offered Crsoby, Malkin and Letang, obviously they'd take it. The "untouchable" argument is garbage.

Realistically though, those 'untouchable' players are untouchable apart from a large overpayment that most teams wouldn't be willing to give up, making them all but untouchable. I think we can figure out that nothing is ever so absolute as to say it could never happen, but it'd be very unlikely to do so.

Archived