The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect Development Assessment

JamesB

MCCANN

Cool post guys!! ^_^ I like the rankings, most people don't know much about McCann, but he is having a solid year and is on pace for over 70 points including 30 goals. With him being known as a solid 2 way guy with a good shot this makes sense. If he can do better than Horvats 74 in 54 with 30 goals I would consider him to be the "A" grade especially considering he plays on the second line behind Tolchinsky (expect for right now).

With 13 points in his last 9 games I would say he's trending in the right direction for the year and if he can keep that pace for the rest of the season he will finish with 80 points in 60 games. I agree with the B rating, but considering his illness I would probably bump him to a B+ (If anyone saw his last 2 goals against Saginaw they were snipes)

VIRTAN
I would also say Virtanen is more of an A- for no other reason than he's not putting up the points at the WJC. If he sticks with McDavid he should score more, and we know he can so no reason to already give him an A+ when he clearly has room to improve. As far as with Calgary, he's been inconsistant like all juniors, not really a worry. I have a feeling he will bring his game to the next level during the knockout rounds and hopefully bring that back to junior with him as well.

He's only going to play 52-53 games at most with Calgary this year so point projections are hard to compare to other players, but I would really like to see him finish strong with 20 goals or so in his last 30 games. I think he can do it. I would love to see him match Bo's production Offensively with 73 in 53 as well that would garner an A+ for the whole season. It's hard to believe that Bo's post draft season offensive numbers could be better than Virtanen's but with injury I guess it's not a surprise given how much time Bo had against NHL comp in his first training camp, vs Virtanen's zero time.

VEYMAN

Vey is a B- for me. Just below where I expected at .43 PPG, I thought he would be around .5, but he's creating more at 5v5 which is great to see, and easily could have some more points as others have stated. He's made some great passes onto people tape who have hit the post or not been able to find the net. Trending up and if he can finish the season strong, pull his PPG up to .5 I would give him a solid B, if he can get 15 goals then maybe a B+

Cassels is exceeding expectations, Gaunce and Shinkaruk are doing alright, was expecting more from Shink given his deployment PP time etc. But also coming off a big injury recovery it's not exactly unexpected.

Interesting concept/initiative.

As a whole, if many of these kids graduate together(& the team is running nicely),many of them should attain their higher projections.

I like that they mostly all share similar language/exp/hockey-background. They should become a tight outfit(like our outgoing, older core), who trust in each other, on & off the ice. I'd say the camaraderie/closeness of our vets will be a key lesson for these kids.

Interesting concept/initiative.

As a whole, if many of these kids graduate together(& the team is running nicely),many of them should attain their higher projections.

I like that they mostly all share similar language/exp/hockey-background. They should become a tight outfit(like our outgoing, older core), who trust in each other, on & off the ice. I'd say the camaraderie/closeness of our vets will be a key lesson for these kids.

I agree that the Canucks are trying to build team chemistry. They put a lot of effort into the summer development camp and young stars tournament and they are trying hard to build a quality minor league team in Utica that reinforces the attitudes they want throughout the organization.

All that kind of thing helps, but they still need the basic talent to work with. They do have some good talent in the system but, if they fade in the second half I hope JB makes some moves to trade rentals for draft picks to build the prospect pool further.

This year, for the first time in a while, the Canucks have three high quality prospects in the World Juniors: Virtanen, Demko, and Forsling. And they would have had 4 if they had made Horvat available. That is a good sign, but I would like to see them with 4 or 5 next year.

Archived