The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Mark Arcobello for Derek Roy

silver_surfer

Except for the fact that if they really wanted Roy and MacT actually was a competent GM, he would be calling every day to almost every team to see who's available and what he can do to get that player. Pretty damn sure Roy has been available for more than a couple weeks if MacT ever called Poile about it. Then that way, Draisatl can go to the World Juniors, Preds and Oilers would've probably made a small deal that involved Oilers sending a pick for Roy.. And when Draisatl comes back, their C depth would have improved. Nuge, Roy, Draisatl and possibly Arcobello down the middle would be so much better than what they have now.

I've been out of the loop for a bit so forgive me.........WTF!??!?!?! They sent Drai back to Junior? Burned a year of his ELC and had him miss the worlds??????

Acquiring Roy isn't so bad, he was once a reliable point producer, and may be again, but......

Drai??...............WTF!?

To be fair, Roy is slightly grittier than Arco, and Roy has played in the top-6 before. That said, as mentioned they're paying for someone for whom they didn't have to give anything up, and it's worse when that guy still has upside (wouldn't be surprised if Arco became another solid guy for them) while the guy they got is declining and hardly an upgrade. That said though, even a minimal upgrade would still be an upgrade when the Oil have nothing up the middle in their middle-6. Leon's not cutting it and they're desperate now for that 2nd line fill-in (could have been Anisimov but he's injured).

Totally think the Oil will regret this later on, or at worst both guys bust out (don't see that happening for Mark on the industrious Preds though).

Well they were at 50 contracts with the Fraser pickup, so it was necessary if they wanted both Roy and Fraser.

MacT reminds me of Nonis, remember when Matt Pettinger was someone they had "coveted" for a long time? Bernier, Pyatt, etc. hoping to find a gem in the garbage, and too timid to make the big move required to get a big change.

Saviors off the waiver wire, lol.

Bernier was a MG trade. MG gave up a 2nd for Stevey wonder.

This hurts... and i am not really an oiler supporter. at least the flames are doing better, gives me hope a western canada rivalry can still happen.

There are big problems at the top of the EDM food chain,

Makes me think they won't find success until Katz sells the team, I honestly think that's where it begins.

Remember the Hawks before and after "Dollar" Bill Wirtz? Went from being irrelevant to becoming one of pro sports biggest franchisees, not just hockey but all of pro sports. It's rare for an NHL team to become that popular with the casual fan, but it just goes to show how important the right ownership is.

Come to think of it.... Edmonton was probably one of the first teams that could put a claim on Roy. Why didn't they just take him instead of Fraser and if they really wanted Fraser, put Pinizzotto on waivers and claim Fraser. Then they'd still have Arcobello on their team. Otherwise, trade Pinizzotto and like a late pick to Boston for Fraser and then Boston can just waive Pinizzotto if they didn't want him and keep the pick. Doesn't make sense at all.

So Edmonton declines to claim Roy on waivers, holds Draisaitl out from the World Juniors, then trades for Roy and sends Draisaitl back to junior. They could have traded a minor contract earlier (or just made the same trade beforehand) and allowed Draisaitl to play for Germany, but instead they do whatever this is.

i think you're missing the fact that it had more to do with edmonton being at the contract limit after picking up fraser, so they had to move a contract.

Roy didnt like it here..he is going to love it in Edmonton..nothing better than Jasper Ave at -40 degrees.

More reason to be perpetually numb on white ave.

Archived