The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Mark Arcobello for Derek Roy

silver_surfer

Edmonton Oilers: A hell of a reason to be thankful for not being born in Edmonton post 80's.

I wonder if Katz is interfering in a similar manner that some speculated Francesco to have interfered. I mean, it could be one of the reasons that everyone under him, save for Eakins, has a job still.

who is mact?

who is gilis?

seriously it's not hard to spell their names properly

Terrible grammar. Specifically, capitalization and punctuation.

Seriously, it's not hard.

Edmonton Oilers: A hell of a reason to be thankful for not being born in Edmonton post 80's.

I wonder if Katz is interfering in a similar manner that some speculated Francesco to have interfered. I mean, it could be one of the reasons that everyone under him, save for Eakins, has a job still.

Terrible grammar. Specifically, capitalization and punctuation.

Seriously, it's not hard.

Oh, you! You're my new favorite :)

Bernier was a MG trade. MG gave up a 2nd for Stevey wonder.

I stand corrected.

How about the Mika Noronen trade for our 2nd round pick? (4 spots before Milan Lucic)

or the re-acquiring of Brent Sopel for a 2nd round pick (Wayne Simmonds) and a 4th

My point was that Nonis had a history of (and Gillis made many similar mistakes, the Bernier trade for example) trading away 2nd round picks for underachieving or washed up players and missing out on the best players because of an unwillingness to give up anything of significant value. This timid strategy cost us dearly (quantity) in prospects/picks and netted middling player that contributed nothing to playoff drives. Just like MacT. Prime example being the acquisition of Fasth and Scrivens, when pursuit of Halak or Hiller would have made much more sense albeit cost more. Low risk = Low reward.

Yup the offer sheet failed and Steve Bernier failed. 2nd and 3rd rounders gone.

2nd and 3d round picks aren't worth anything anyways. They're like the fresh ground pepper that hits the counter and not the steak.

I'm not making the time to look it up, but I do wonder if someone has compiled a team by team comparison of traded draft picks for any era. I'm curious how other organizations compare to the amount we traded off in the last decade.

Are we at the top of the list for traded 2nd round picks? How about 2nd round picks that amounted to nearly squat?

If anyone knows if someone else has done the work on this could they please post?

13. Asked for some clarification, and it was received: even if Leon Draisaitl is returned to juniors, he will remain as one of Edmonton’s 50 allotted pro contracts because he played more than 11 NHL games. Jesse Joensuu stays on, too, even though he is overseas. That’s one of the reasons the Oilers traded for Derek Roy instead of claiming him on waivers.

Grabbing Matt Fraser puts them at 47. Getting too close to 50 hurts flexibility, and the Oilers worked to drop a couple when they were right up against it a year ago.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-coyotes-vermette-a-wanted-man/

2nd and 3d round picks aren't worth anything anyways. They're like the fresh ground pepper that hits the counter and not the steak.

I'm not making the time to look it up, but I do wonder if someone has compiled a team by team comparison of traded draft picks for any era. I'm curious how other organizations compare to the amount we traded off in the last decade.

Are we at the top of the list for traded 2nd round picks? How about 2nd round picks that amounted to nearly squat?

If anyone knows if someone else has done the work on this could they please post?

Decent amount of players came from the 2nd and 3rd round picks... just look back in the last 4 years and you'll find a good amount of decent players that are playing right now.

You should really take a look at Detroits drafting records of taking players in 2nd/3rd rounders majority made it playing well over 300+ games in the NHL.

i think you're missing the fact that it had more to do with edmonton being at the contract limit after picking up fraser, so they had to move a contract.

It's like you didn't even see my post 15 minutes before yours...

Yeah, I think they made the trade because of too many contracts.

Just one more time to make sure.

I guess you can keep saying it if you still aren't sure, anything to help you out. I, on the other hand, am completely sure they did it because they wanted to move a contract out. My point is, they could easily have done that another way by moving a minor contract of some sort and claiming Roy off waivers.

i concur.

it definitely was done to shed a contract. i wonder why he didn't notice that he quoted it but must not have read it.

Let me point it out for you:

So Edmonton declines to claim Roy on waivers, holds Draisaitl out from the World Juniors, then trades for Roy and sends Draisaitl back to junior. They could have traded a minor contract earlier (or just made the same trade beforehand) and allowed Draisaitl to play for Germany, but instead they do whatever this is.

Do you understand now?

The only thing this does is give them flexibility to keep Roy in the minors for now since he's already cleared. Not sure why they'd want to do that, but maybe they think they can keep him as depth and call him up later only if necessary.

Archived