The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Mark Arcobello for Derek Roy

silver_surfer

And for anyone who didn't see it, Draisaitl was sent back to juniors yesterday:

Keeps him under the 40 games that would push his UFA years up, and really doesn't do anything to help his development having kept him so long and denied him the chance to play in the WJHC.

they assigned him to the entire chl? crazy!

you would think the official oilers twitter would take the 5 seconds it takes to determine the team and specific league he's being assigned to.

quite the mickey mouse org they have going on over there.

you would think the official oilers twitter would take the 5 seconds it takes to determine the team and specific league he's being assigned to.

Hey, if the salary's good, I could do that for them from home. I'd decline if they asked me to move to Edmonton to run their social media though.

Actually Bob McKenzie mentionned technically he would need to report to Prince Albert since they own his rights, but has unofficially been traded to Kelowna but can't be official until WJC is over. Therefore, he was assigned to CHL (WHL) but does not report to his team rightaway.

They could have said WHL though.

I see some of the points being made right for why this move may have been better than most imagine... But how does that matter now to Edmonton? How about a real move to get some real defense?

I guess they're waiting for the 1st pick in 2015 and 2016 before they do anything.

Actually Bob McKenzie mentionned technically he would need to report to Prince Albert since they own his rights, but has unofficially been traded to Kelowna but can't be official until WJC is over. Therefore, he was assigned to CHL (WHL) but does not report to his team rightaway.

They could have said WHL though.

he's still technically being assigned to prince albert and they should have reported as such. once the trade goes through they could then report that he has been traded. it's ridonculous to say a player was assigned to the CHL as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how far downhill Roy has fallen.

He's still a decent player though. 7 points in 10 games since the trade, and a +2. His salary is only 1 million, and it's only for this year.

Problem is, he's not an improvement in the top-9 for most playoff teams, and most non-playoff teams don't really want to improve their roster. They are going for the highest pick possible. Edmonton had to do something though, as the fans were going nuts.

Win/win? Roy's a better player than Arcobello, but Nashville probably felt the extra contract spot could be more valuable than either of them.

Considering the number of contracts you can have on a team are limited, I would guess that waived players are more likely to be traded this day and age rather than claimed. If you can give up a contract to get a contract, you have the same number of total contracts and, in Edmonton's case, a better player.

Considering the number of contracts you can have on a team are limited, I would guess that waived players are more likely to be traded this day and age rather than claimed. If you can give up a contract to get a contract, you have the same number of total contracts and, in Edmonton's case, a better player.

I don't know what your post has to do with mine, but sure? That would be the reason Edmonton traded Arcobello rather than just claiming Roy and keeping both.

Archived