The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen vs Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie

Luongowned

I rarely make posts but I felt very compelled to in regards to Jake Virtanen. I remember sitting at home reading the boards on draft day. There were a wide variety of posts stating the displeasure of the Canucks picking Virtanen over one of Ritchie, Ehlers or Nylander. People were convinced that we had made the wrong selection and that any of the other three players were better choices. I've followed all 4 players since then and am glad to say that we made the right choice. Virtanen plays with a tenacity and ferociousness that is difficult to teach, while also showing glimpses of pure skill and finess. He is the complete package and we are truly lucky to have a player of his ability. People were worried regarding his injury, people questioned his hockey IQ and play making ability. He returned from his injury and showed great play making ability thus far, he's shown consistency and poise that everyone feared he wouldn't be able to recover after his shoulder injury. I know it's still very early in their development but when I watch Virtanen on the ice I get excited and I haven't felt that from a prospect in our system since Bure. Now I'm not comparing him to Bure and we would be lucky if he developed into anything close to him, but I can say with certainty that our future looks bright and that we certainly made the right choice.

Virtanen has the best all around package, as well as having the best overall skating ability and best shot out of the 4. Doing all this while being the youngest of the 4. Add in him being a hometown boy, who you can bet will work his a** off to play for his favorite team and actually live his childish dream, you know I'm happy with the pick. They all have top 6 ceilings, but Virtanen is also the closest thing to a lock, to make the NHL as a impact role player or better. Jake Virtanen was simply the all around best pick at the time when it comes to those 4. Only time will tell who actually turns out the best…. I have a feeling it will be Virtanen

My bad if it was discussed already, that doesn't change the fact I wanted to state how pleased I am with our pick. If you don't like a thread how about not clicking on it? If it's a redundant thread I'm sure a mod can lock the thread. If you need an excuse to get your post count up just say so ;)

Virtanen = Bure

got it

More like opinion = fact. Apparently anyway.

My bad if it was discussed already, that doesn't change the fact I wanted to state how pleased I am with our pick. If you don't like a thread how about not clicking on it? If it's a redundant thread I'm sure a mod can lock the thread. If you need an excuse to get your post count up just say so ;)

That's why there's a Jake Virtanen Talk thread. I assume you searched to make sure there wasn't anything like this already?

This should be it's own thread cuz it's annoying af when people are constantly comparing Virtanen to these guys in his thread

And yet they still will even after this thread. It's a discussion well underway already with plenty of material in the Virtanen Talk thread, so no need to start it all over again here.

Oh Jake, get back on the ice it's your shift.

In all seriousness, glad to hear your feedback after following those named. I have not so rely on others' feedback and it's good to see/hear that he's got great potential. I'm leaving this, as you've been here awhile and your opinion matters even if it is a bit redundant. :)

It's not like we passed over McDavid.

It was a weak draft and really no wrong pick there. Jake was a safe and good pick. Big, fast and good around the net. Kinda guy built for playoffs,

Maybe one of the other guys gets a few more regular season points but who cares about that any more?

Archived