The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks-Islanders

The Canucks are playing as a competitive team now while keeping an eye on the future. We added pieces like Virtanen and McCannin the offseason but also guys like Miller. This trade is along those lines as well.

To the Islanders:

Alex Edler
Zack Kassian

To the Canucks:

Lubomir Visnovsky
Griffin Reinhardt

Conditional 2016 2nd round pick (based on whether Visnovsky re-signs or not)

Islanders Reasoning:

For the first time in forever, the Islanders team is relevant. They currently (Dec. 30) sit tied with Pittsburgh atop their division. Edler gives them another stud defenseman to add to their core, who is much younger than Visnovsky. With Grabner no longer living up to potential, the Islanders are weak on the right wing so Kassian adds a natural right winger, who is young, tough and has potential to grow. This trade makes them better right now, but also gets a player in his prime as well as a player entering his prime, so they are not giving away an elite prospect just for short term gain.

Canucks Reasoning:

Parting with either Edler or Kassian will not be popular with the fanbase however you have to give talent to get talent, and neither of these players look like they'll ever really achieve their full potential (which Edler regressed from a few years ago). The Canucks can afford (both present and future) to part with a right winger. We currently have Vrbata, Burrows, Hansen, Jensen, Dorsett and Vey even without Kassian. With that said, this deal is all about getting a future #1 stud defenseman who also happens to be coming to his hometown. Sure, he's not ready yet for the NHL, but his ceiling is higher than Edler, he's 8 years younger, and is the stud to build around for the future. On top of that, Visnovsky is a great short term replacement. His stats are almost equal to Edler this year, although Edler plays more minutes. He is a solid smart veteran who fills Edler's shoes and keeps us just as competitive for this season. There is risk that he walks away at the end of the year, or even retires, which is why the draft pick is there. In that case we also free up a lot of cap space (which the Isles have cap space to spare). Likely we take the rest of the year of Visnovsky then take the draft pick and sign a new defenseman with the cap space.

I don't like it because Lubomir won't be around much longer unlike Edler. As much as Edler sucks some nights, he plays the bulk of the minutes and a huge role that won't be replaced by Griffin any time soon. Plus, I don't even think Griffin is at all ready.

I hear you, the same can be said the other way around though. Visnovsky is nine years older than Edler and Edler is eight years older than Reinhardt, so Reinhardt will be around longer unlike Edler.

Griffin might still be a year or two away from logging 20 minutes a night, like you said, but keep in mind we will have an extra five million in cap space to spend on a defenseman. So it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a hole in our lineup. If we are able to sign a good defenseman (Mike Green, Marc Staal, Paul Martin, Bartkowski, Oduya, Boychuk, Franson, Michalek) or trade or promote in the offseason then it will be that player plus Reinhardt instead of Edler.

I like it. Kassian doesn't really fit with this team and Visnovsky provides a the puck moving D we need right now, while Rienharts potential is far better then Edlers ever was or will be. You might need to throw in Markstrom to convince them to let go of Rienhart and gives us the pick.

the reinhart's father paul, said he'ld love to see all his sons playing for the canucks....but it will be years before that will happen...there are few d-men coming up in the draft can eventually improve our defense...right now we need a tough stay at home mitchell type d-man and a offensive guy like paul reinhart...

Just so you know the season's done if this trade happens. It may work out well for the future, but for the now it would kill the season.

How so, the Canucks are doing pretty well without Kassian and Visnovsky isn't that much of a down grade on Edler, in fact offensively I would call it an upgrade for the season?

How so, the Canucks are doing pretty well without Kassian and Visnovsky isn't that much of a down grade on Edler, in fact offensively I would call it an upgrade for the season?

Visnovsky is a huge downgrade with the way Edler has played for us this season. Edler has played and played well against other teams top players all season. Edler's pretty much been our everything Defenseman. one our top Pkers on top PP and eats a ton of minutes 5 on 5.

No thanks

Edler has been a beast this years since Hammer went down. Him and Tanev have been a real solid paring.

Kassian is young has can easily still becoming a beast.

I really don't see Reinhart ever becoming more than a solid shutdown defence in the top 4. He's not oozing offence, his vision is ok and he doesn't even have that great of shot. I don't see him becoming that much better than the level Edler is already at. I would much rather keep both Edler and Kassian and push hard to sign Franson in the offseason.

Canucks have lost something like 6 out of the last 9 without Kassian, i wouldn't say that is doing pretty well. The Ducks were mugging our forwards all night and i expect the Sharts and Kings will be doing the same, is old Visnovsky the anwer for that right now.

This deal is just bad.. I wouldn't do Kassian straight up for Reinhardt let alone that package. As someone mentioned above, I don't see him being anything more than a solid top 4 -- which isn't that hard to find/acquire. Finding skilled physical wingers is pretty hard, and you usually have to develop them yourself.

I would consider Edler for Visnovsky, Reinhardt and the 2nd (no condition), but only after the season is over.

Archived