The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What asset(s) would you give up to move up in the draft? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Never thought too much of it, but i believe the Cali teams will start to dismantle, or regress by the time these prospects step in. Its definately a good thing to think about, but a lot can change in a year or two.

I dont know about that but it's a formula that works for the Cali teams the Kings in particular. Look at some of the prospects on the Cali teams, most have size and drafted size this year as well. You have to do well in the division to have any chance at the playoffs as the Central is tough as well.

draisatl for markstrom and corrado and stanton

2lc for a potential starter potential top 4 and a decent 5/6 dman

That's a pretty even value in my opinion. Stanton's showing progress, Corrado is still super young and growing, and matkstrom is full of potential.

add virtanen and after yesterdays game demko to that list and i am ok with anyone else going. i am really liking the possibility of landing barzal.

he may not be mcdavid but very very possible Hank replacement. once Hank retires we are absolutely Boned if we dont land a legit first line centre...

Yes I meant anyone on our NHL roster except for Horvat. For our prospects I wouldn't like trading Virtanen, McCann, Demko, and Shinkaruk

Higgins has a limited no trade clause ( I WONDER HOW IT IS WRITTEN......ANY IDEA HOW THEY USUALLY WORK?)

$2,500,000 PER ........2 1/2 years left on his contract......finishes at the end of 2016-2017 season

limited ntc's usually mean the team can request a list of teams he is willing to go to and they can freely trade with those teams without the player being allowed to refuse.

What assets? It really all depends on where we finish and how far we're moving up.

Moving into the top 3 I'd give a lot.

Moving in to the top 10 i'd give a combination of our first plus a player and a B prospect

Gaining an extra 1st round pick alone? I'd give a later pick plus a roster player/B prospect

Gaining a 2nd? Well who knows.

Perron JUST net a 1st plus a Klinkhammer. So is it easy to say that Hansen/Higgins/Burrows could net a first alone?

Players on the roster I';d consider moving for the youth movement or garnering addition 1st and 2nd round picks include

Hansen

Higgins

Burrows

Hammer

Bieksa

Richardson (UFA)

Matthias (UFA)

Honestly as is I'd really consider almost all of our prospects untouchable until we see them actually play in the bigs.

McCann. Already have Gaunce for the future 3C

Pretty sure McCann has 37 points in 28 games with a + 10 this year. McCann has a MUCH higher offensive ceiling than Gaunce, and it wouldn't shock me at all if he became a top 6 forward in the NHL.

No thanks.

Now, on the other hand, moving Gaunce is something that I would be willing to do. Especially seeing as we already have Cole Cassels for the future 3C. :bigblush:

Pretty sure McCann has 37 points in 28 games with a + 10 this year. McCann has a MUCH higher offensive ceiling than Gaunce, and it wouldn't shock me at all if he became a top 6 forward in the NHL.

No thanks.

Now, on the other hand, moving Gaunce is something that I would be willing to do. Especially seeing as we already have Cole Cassels for the future 3C. :bigblush:

Needless to have him. I don't think that Horvat will be a legitimate first line centre. Good second line centre, but I don't think he'll be a Bergeron, like people are anticipating. Let's say that the Canucks fall to a wild card spot, lose in the first round, and finish with the 18th pick. Trade the pick along with McCann for the 11th-13th pick, and take a playmaking centre with first line potential. Hoping Barzal keeps dropping in stock. Kyle Connor could be an option there too, but like Barzal, I'm not sure he'll be there.

Shinkaruk - Barzal - Virtanen

XXX - Horvat - Jensen (If he even pans out)

XXX - Gaunce - Cassels (who can play RW)

clgman......I see this all the time and wonder what people, not just you, are thinking

Gaunce was a 24 OA pick, what 3 years ago....he hasn't played a game in the NHL, and is developing as would any 24th OA pick would develop...........his value alone is worth more than where he got picked, as he has had 2 years to improve.

His value in the 2015 draft is probably somewhere around 20 OA to 26 OA.....People over value picks after the top 10....so whenyou suggest Gaunce already split the difference and call him a 23 OA value and a 2015 2nd for a Early 30's pick.....I wonder exactly what is being smoked?

People fall in love with the picking of Picks...........they usually will sell assets below market value....at least in Vancouver.....read the NYI boards...........they never want to give up picks

In most drafts Gaunce and 2015 2nd = 16 to 20th.....Gaunce was never billed as an OFFENSIVE player and was at one time still rated higher than where he fell to....even if Van had not picked him, he was going in the first round for sure........funny how many times people think this....don't understand it......2 years of development is worth something

Needless to have him. I don't think that Horvat will be a legitimate first line centre. Good second line centre, but I don't think he'll be a Bergeron, like people are anticipating. Let's say that the Canucks fall to a wild card spot, lose in the first round, and finish with the 18th pick. Trade the pick along with McCann for the 11th-13th pick, and take a playmaking centre with first line potential. Hoping Barzal keeps dropping in stock. Kyle Connor could be an option there too, but like Barzal, I'm not sure he'll be there.

Shinkaruk - Barzal - Virtanen

XXX - Horvat - Jensen (If he even pans out)

XXX - Gaunce - Cassels (who can play RW)

I'd still much rather move Gaunce than McCan.

I want Hannifin. Barzal be a good pick 2. Hannifin looks like a #1 in the making. I would probably draft him over barzal. Barzal maybe avaliable around 7 though so depends how high we can trade up.

Can we trade up and get them both?

Hannifin

Barzal

omg. lol. We would have our potential #1 center and a potential #1 d man.

I'd give up Higgins, Bieska, Richardson, maybe a young prospect etc. I like Shink but I'm not sure if hes the type of player we will go with moving forward. Hes exciting but if we want to play the fast paced, hard hitting, possession style we would need those types of players. to get them you gotta give up something of value.

I <3 Shink but will see. I'm open to him being dealt if it helps us get the big 2 pieces we need.

1st line C: Barzal

#1 D-Man: Hannifin

#1 Goalie: Demko

damnn

Adding a 2nd rounder to Higgins or Hansen doesn't get you a 1st. That's not how trades work. The best way to get more picks in the draft is to trade our players for picks then package those picks with our own picks to move up.

Higgins could get a 2nd

Hansen could get a 2nd

Matthias could get a 3rd

Richardson could get a 3rd

Markstrom could get a 5th

Weber could get a 7th

Not saying we should make all those trades but lets say we do. We would have 1 first, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 1 fourth, 3 fifths, 1 sixth, and 1 seventh

Lets say we end up with the 18th overall pick. Add 1 second and we get 14th. Add another second and we get 11th. Add another second and its probably 9th. Something like that.

Adding a 2nd rounder to Higgins or Hansen doesn't get you a 1st. That's not how trades work. The best way to get more picks in the draft is to trade our players for picks then package those picks with our own picks to move up.

Higgins could get a 2nd

Hansen could get a 2nd

Matthias could get a 3rd

Richardson could get a 3rd

Markstrom could get a 5th

Weber could get a 7th

Not saying we should make all those trades but lets say we do. We would have 1 first, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 1 fourth, 3 fifths, 1 sixth, and 1 seventh

Lets say we end up with the 18th overall pick. Add 1 second and we get 14th. Add another second and we get 11th. Add another second and its probably 9th. Something like that.

If hansen can get a 2nd, what the hell is the wait? Trade Hansen now lol

Yes I meant anyone on our NHL roster except for Horvat. For our prospects I wouldn't like trading Virtanen, McCann, Demko, and Shinkaruk

I wouldn't either but you also gotta think about who's coming back.

If trading, say, Horvat along with our first round pick could get us a high first-rounder in the 2015 draft, then it'd be tempting.

If hansen can get a 2nd, what the hell is the wait? Trade Hansen now lol

A gritty, superfast, low maintenance pest of a player who is on pace for 20 goals in only 12:42 of average TOI.

...Yeah! Trade the bum! We need more Rodins. PICKS! PICKS! PICKS!

Players I would consider having numbered days left in Vancouver include one of Markstrom/Lack one of Bieksa/Hamhuis and any of but hopefully not all of Higgins, Hansen, Sbisa, Dorsett, Richardson.

I think you're wrong about Hamhuis.

And I hope you're wrong about Dorsett. That's one guy who shouldn't cost too much to retain, and will probably be worth every penny.

Archived