The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UPD] Fined 5k - So the Hansen hit on Wingels..

Tom Sestito

Who can honestly predict what will happen, after the Matthius / Robidas hit any attempt to apply logic long since disapeared. The concept is good but having players ( who like elephants have long memories and bias ) is not the route to go. It's been shown again and again that there is no common thread between who gets suspended or doesn't. Albert's career finished with a hit to the head ....nothing... others show no ill effects. The DPS should have a nominated group voted in by the players, owners and officials. Plus the vote tally should be published when the suspension or non suspension is announced. This is a kangaroo court IMO

Poor officiating for the whole night. Tanev gets leveled along the boards, decent hit ...but Tanev did not have the puck, nor had he just touched it.

The knee hit on Richardson missed completely.

Does moaning about the refs sound better after a win? I hope so :)

Possible suspension threads on CDC are fun.

They're full of "wheel of justice posts" "canucks r hated by bettman"

Regarding the actual hit,

Hit to the head, but again it's been inconsistent this year. I don't think it's going to be suspended because they didn't suspend the bull Robidas pulled on Matthias.

A fine is what I expect - AT MOST, and I think it's fair.

What do you guys think? (insert "wheel of justice posts" "canucks r hated by bettman")

If you think that's how they decide suspensions then you're doing it wrong.

Looking at it purely from the criteria for an illegal check to the head, it's not a hit squarely through the body and the head was contacted. That alone tells me suspension unless they believe it was minor enough to have thee penalty on the play stand as punishment enough.

He hits across the front of the body, glancing off the front shoulder but not contacting it directly, and then contacting the head. He didn't elevate unnecessarily, raise his elbow or hit late - which helps his case - but it was avoidable contact and the hit should have been in a direct line through the body, not across the front of it.

I'd say he gets a game, maybe two if they consider the previous suspension as 'history' (although it's not repeat offender status since it was more than 18 months ago).

Based on the way the head snapped back it looks like he did make contact with the head. We need a clearer video to know exactly where first contact was made. But based on the video in the OP I think Hansen will have a hearing.

It doesn't matter where first contact was made, it matters where the predominant contact is. He's not hitting squarely through the body, so any contact with the head isn't incidental. Glancing contact off the front shoulder doesn't allow for head contact after.

But glad to see there's no less rose coloured bias (or tin foil hats) in this thread than any other about suspensions.

It was barely a hit, it was contact. I don't think there will or should be a suspension. he didn't target a player in a prone position, he didn't lay him out like he could have, he was making contact with a player with the puck and he clipped the visor. 2 min was the right call. Looked like an accident. I can't wait to read how dirty Hansen is on HF.

A lot of bitter homers on here protecting the head shot (as predicted by Tom Sestito the OP)

Hansen has a history and the hit was a carbon copy of the one Burrows was suspended with. Burr got two since he had a history, so I think Hansen will also be getting two.

That being said, this league is pretty unpredictable with this stuff, and I don't know how they missed the Robidas elbow. That was a big miss by the league, and maybe they'll miss this one to even it out? It'll be tough.

^^ I'm surprised not to hear anything on it yet, but maybe they didn't feel it was that big of a hit and are letting it go.

Should of just put his shoulder into Wingels shoulder, still would have knocked him on his ass. Almost certain suspension IMO but It sure is getting tiresome watching the Sharks' theatrics every time they get hit.

Yup, and that's what the league wants, hits through the body. Hansen lines him up correctly and it's a clean hit all day - no penalty, no suspension, just a great hit.

I could see this getting a phone hearing but if it does all Hansen has to say is "remember how many games you gave Robidas? We remember." and hang up. There's no way Hansen's hit is worse. Additionally I'm enjoying the rage about a Canuck hit but nobody postgame has mentioned James Sheppard kneeing Richardson.

Their knees made contact, but that was incidental versus any kind of attempted hit from what I could see. You can't really suspend for that.

A lot of bitter homers on here protecting the head shot (as predicted by Tom Sestito the OP)

Hansen has a history and the hit was a carbon copy of the one Burrows was suspended with. Burr got two since he had a history, so I think Hansen will also be getting two.

That being said, this league is pretty unpredictable with this stuff, and I don't know how they missed the Robidas elbow. That was a big miss by the league, and maybe they'll miss this one to even it out? It'll be tough.

Well, Burr's was late too, so that added to it. That might have even been the primary reason for the DoPS, and it was a little bigger hit than this one in my opinion. I could see nothing more than a fine (or less if they never review it) coming out of this but we'll see.

He deserves a couple of games, wreckless, stupid hit, anybody that denies that needs to take off the Canuck-Coloured glasses.

This. I LOVE Hansen, he is my favorite Canuck. Having said that and after watching the video it is clear that he raises himself up in order to hit Wingles high. I'm figuring 2 games since Wingles returned to the game apparently hale and hearty. The victim mentality here is ridiculous; if this were a hit against a Canuck there would be howls of outrage. Oh and Wreckless Eric says hi (it's reckless doncha know...)

Ok so let me get out my calculator

Vancouver player: multiply deserving suspension by 5. So 5 x 0 = 0. In case of 0 game suspension for Vancouver player, please add 5 games because the player is on the canucks

So now we sit at 5 games

Against a California player +20 games what he actually deserves, because let's be honest we have to fix the nhl in favour of Cali teams.

Total suspension 25 games for Hansen for running into a diving Queen.

In my opinion wiggles is a diving POS. He stayed down making it look bad.

Do you REALLY believe the stuff you post? I mean really REALLY? Because if you do you are a sucker just like someone who believes that the WWF isn't staged. Why do you watch when you allege that the whole league is fixed and that the Canucks will never get a fair shake? This goes for the whole tinfoil hat brigade led by Viking Mama. If I were to honestly believe that the NHL was fixed I would never in a million years watch it or care about it. Fortunately I don't believe in any of this hogwash for sensible reasons (I mean what if they ever got caught red handed; it would be the end of the league). My suspicion is that none of you truly believe what you post and it's just some sort of release valve that alleviates your frustration when we don't win every game. One thing is for sure; it sure makes the rest of us Canuck fans look like whiners and fools.

Do you REALLY believe the stuff you post? I mean really REALLY? Because if you do you are a sucker just like someone who believes that the WWF isn't staged. Why do you watch when you allege that the whole league is fixed and that the Canucks will never get a fair shake? This goes for the whole tinfoil hat brigade led by Viking Mama. If I were to honestly believe that the NHL was fixed I would never in a million years watch it or care about it. Fortunately I don't believe in any of this hogwash for sensible reasons (I mean what if they ever got caught red handed; it would be the end of the league). My suspicion is that none of you truly believe what you post and it's just some sort of release valve that alleviates your frustration when we don't win every game. One thing is for sure; it sure makes the rest of us Canuck fans look like whiners and fools.

I second this ^^^ that reffing crap is getting a little old now.

Archived