The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UPD] Fined 5k - So the Hansen hit on Wingels..

Tom Sestito

Seems appropriate, it is the maximum fine allowed.

NEW YORK -- Vancouver Canucks forward Jannik Hansen has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for an illegal check to the head of San Jose Sharks forward Tommy Wingelsduring NHL Game No. 544 in San Jose on Tuesday, Dec. 30, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 0:59 of the second period. Hansen was assessed a minor penalty for illegal check to the head.

The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Whew. Well the tides are turning and perhaps the league is factoring in some of the dramatics in trying to sell things for more. I think they've tired of it somewhat.

I think it's about right but expected more. Great news, as he can continue to build momentum.

Didn't deserve even a fine. It was a hit we see all the time and the NHL has said hits with far more head contact were perfectly legal. You know, like the 2 deliberate and blatant head hits on Matthias (one which causes a concussion) this season that didn't get anything, not even a fine.

Hansen clearly hit through the center of the body and did not target the head. I'm actually surprised he was fined and not suspended, but I guess even they didn't think they should sell that BS given the other calls they've made. It's still a big FU to the Canucks and especially Matthias though.

I mean...that's dumb.

Should be 2 games. Probably 1 really but it deserves an extra one for being completely unnecessary. That may be the only reason it's more than just a fine; the stupidity of the hit.

Actually it's dumb that you consider Hansen's hit suspendable. But I won't hold it against you.

NHL Player Safety@NHLPlayerSafety 2m2 minutes ago

Vancouver's Jannik Hansen has been fined $5,000 for an illegal check to the head of San Jose's Tommy Wingels.

Noice.

Still think wiggles shud be suspended for the rest of his career for diving like a queen.

Tbh I'm shocked this wasn't 4 games lol... Not that it deserved 4 games but Hansen has Vancouver on his chest. You can't ever discount that!

Archived