The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Idaho mother shot by toddler, 2

elvis15

The article I'll add is pretty typical of this type of story (for regular gun-toting America that is, not gun-toting black America of course). But what got me wanting to create a thread about it when we already have plenty is not the portrayal of her as a model mother and gun owner, but rather that there's actual offence taken in the article that this was anything other than an accident, and in no way her being the least bit careless with a loading gun.

This piece has more background than the initial news stories I first read, but they were similar in that it's just a senseless accident and she was a good person who cared about gun safety. There was one interview with local police where there was brief mention that more care should have been taken, and maybe he even expanded on that but it certainly wasn't included in the report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/12/31/the-inside-story-of-how-an-idaho-toddler-shot-his-mom-at-wal-mart/

Veronica Rutledge and her husband loved everything about guns. They practiced at shooting ranges. They hunted. And both of them, relatives and friends say, had permits to carry concealed firearms. Veronica typically left her Blackfoot, Idaho, home with her gun nestled at her side. So on Christmas morning last week, her husband gave her a present he hoped would make her life more comfortable: a purse with a special pocket for a concealed weapon.

The day after Christmas, she took her new gift with her on a trip with her husband and her 2-year-old son. They headed hundreds of miles north to the end of a country road where Terry Rutledge, her husband’s father, lived. The father-in-law learned of the new purse.

“It was designed for that purpose — to carry a concealed firearm,” Rutledge told The Washington Post late Tuesday night. “And you had to unzip a compartment to find the handgun.

On Tuesday morning, that was exactly what Veronica Rutledge’s son did — with the most tragic of outcomes. Veronica, 29, arrived at a nearby Wal-Mart in Hayden with her three nieces and son, her gun “zippered closed” inside her new purse, her father-in-law said. Then, in the back of the store, near the electronics section, the purse was left unattended for a moment.

“An inquisitive 2-year-old boy reached into the purse, unzipped the compartment, found the gun and shot his mother in the head,” Rutledge said. “It’s a terrible, terrible incident.”

Rutledge isn’t just sad — he’s angry. Not at his grandson. Nor at his dead daughter-in-law, “who didn’t have a malicious fiber in her body,” he said. He’s angry at the observers already using the accident as an excuse to grandstand on gun rights.

“They are painting Veronica as irresponsible, and that is not the case,” he said. “… I brought my son up around guns, and he has extensive experience shooting it. And Veronica had had hand gun classes; they’re both licensed to carry, and this wasn’t just some purse she had thrown her gun into.”

A lot of people in Idaho are [gun people]. Earlier this year, the state legislature passed a bill that allows people to carry concealed guns onto state university campuses. And more than 85,000 people — 7 percent of the population — are licensed to carry concealed weapons, according to the Crime Prevention Research Center.

So many locals didn’t discern anything odd with 29-year-old woman carrying a loaded gun into a Wal-Mart during the holiday season. Stu Miller, a spokesman for the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office, told the New York Times that it didn’t strike him as anything out of the ordinary. “It’s pretty common around here,” he said. “A lot of people carry loaded guns.”

Not that they would have even known she was carrying it considering it was concealed in her purse as designed, and maybe she was responsible and very much the model gun owner America wants people to see, but she was certainly careless to the point that her 2 year old son had time enough to reach into her purse and take the gun out of a zippered pocket then accidentally fire it. Clearly the purse alone, despite being sold as designed for guns, didn't have any of the necessary safeguards so that it couldn't be fired by someone else.

I'm assuming if she was so responsible then the safety at least would have been on so the 2 year old would have had to disable that before firing. In a perfect world she would have also had a trigger guard (possibly even with a lock) of some sort since it wasn't being carried within her reach at all times, but people who are avid gun owners could suggest better ways she would have secureed the gun.

Very sad story indeed.

I have to agree with you elvis - it's pretty hard to justify that the mom was a responsible gun owner when something like this happens. It's possible that she was very responsible 99% of the time but sadly when dealing with firearms that doesn't always make the grade.

^ If he even remembers it. Maybe on some level he'll understand it later in life and I guess he'll know how his mom died but I'd assume the family won't be rehashing it to him to make him feel bad when he's old. Then again you never know...

My first reaction was .. 'I wonder how much safer she feels now?' .. just glad her 2 year old and 3 young nieces were not injured.

Second reaction was 'Is this a 'teachable moment'??

Teachable moment for sure. If at least one person doesn't learn something from this then it's a completely wasted death. Ideally many people (the purse maker allowing a secure zipper of some kind, gun owners not leaving guns unattended even for a second, gun owners using the safety and/or trigger locks even when carrying, etc.) learn something from this.

Very sad story indeed.

I have to agree with you elvis - it's pretty hard to justify that the mom was a responsible gun owner when something like this happens. It's possible that she was very responsible 99% of the time but sadly when dealing with firearms that doesn't always make the grade.

If you aren't fully responsible with guns 100% of the time, then you aren't responsible.

"But I only robbed a bank once!" "Well, you're still going to jail." It doesn't work in other arguments, why would it here?

I'm sorry but why the hell... I dont even..

"I brought my son around guns and he has extensive experience shooting"

No, you don't teach AND bring gun influence to your son who's aged 2 that. I'm sorry but this tragic death seems preventable.

No kidding, clearly he wasn't old enough to understand gun safety to the point where he was ok to be handling one, so why have any significant gun presence around him at that age? I can understand a basic "not for baby" style teaching but anything more than that?

doubt the safety was on. glad none of the kids got hurt.

There likely would have been more outrage if one had.

I'm sorry but why the hell... I dont even..

"I brought my son around guns and he has extensive experience shooting"

No, you don't teach AND bring gun influence to your son who's aged 2 that. I'm sorry but this tragic death seems preventable.

^ If he even remembers it. Maybe on some level he'll understand it later in life and I guess he'll know how his mom died but I'd assume the family won't be rehashing it to him to make him feel bad when he's old. Then again you never know...

Teachable moment for sure. If at least one person doesn't learn something from this then it's a completely wasted death. Ideally many people (the purse maker allowing a secure zipper of some kind, gun owners not leaving guns unattended even for a second, gun owners using the safety and/or trigger locks even when carrying, etc.) learn something from this.

If you aren't fully responsible with guns 100% of the time, then you aren't responsible.

"But I only robbed a bank once!" "Well, you're still going to jail." It doesn't work in other arguments, why would it here?

No kidding, clearly he wasn't old enough to understand gun safety to the point where he was ok to be handling one, so why have any significant gun presence around him at that age? I can understand a basic "not for baby" style teaching but anything more than that?

There likely would have been more outrage if one had.

I read that part of the article as the father in law saying he taught his sons (ie. The husband) about guns. It's never indicated that the 2 year old was taught anything besides what he may have observed. Monkey see, monkey do.

You left a loaded weapon within mere inches of a 2 year old child and your family is angry that people are bringing up GUN RIGHTS!

If you were responsible you wouldn't leave a loaded god damned weapon where a 2 year old can get it especially with the gods be damned safety off.....

Have you NEVER been to a Wal Mart? Seen how 2 year old kids act in a Wal Mart? have you never had a 2 year old let alone a child period? They will touch EVERYTHING

Seriously this has Darwin written all over it and while I respect the families involved in this, their devastating time of grief. You HAVE to know that this is the act of a moment of inattentiveness, the kind of inattentiveness around a loaded weapon that kills dozens of people if not more every single year in the USA

Christ this poor kid has to live with this issue now their entire life all because someone had to exercise their right to carry wherever the hell they wanted.

As a parent and a person with common sense this is such a wasteful tragedy a senseless death and a life just beginning shattered irreparably

INB4 we hear how it is the right of and law and constitutional god given mandate to carry guns cause cause cause...'Murica

I read that part of the article as the father in law saying he taught his sons (ie. The husband) about guns. It's never indicated that the 2 year old was taught anything besides what he may have observed. Monkey see, monkey do.

It doesn't really matter. That two year old will have to live with this for the rest of his life. I just can't imagine a father or any other parent leaving their loaded gun in an easy accessible purse that even a 2 year old can open. I bet 99.9% of the people here would never do that.

Definitely is and will be a teachable moment especially for the dad. This was pretty damn preventable.

Purse was accessible for the 2 year old.

I'm pretty sure the 2 year old has some gun influence flowing about his family/himself. And that is just bad. It does not set up the future well for him and I hope for the best of the 2 year old moving forward.

only in murica so dumb survival of the fittests right there weeding out the idiots one bullet at a time

If only it were so. The unfortunate truth in this case is that the 2 year-old was every bit as likely to kill himself, or some innocent bystander as he was the person who was stupid enough to put him in that position.

In this case, the person responsible paid the price, (although, I'd say the child will pay a very real price as well) but all too often the one who pays is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Archived