The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Idaho mother shot by toddler, 2

elvis15

That poor child is going to need serious therapy when they are older.

I can't believe that an event like this can't make someone like her father-in-law maybe doubt current gun laws even for a minute...

Glad to hear nobody else was physically harmed, cannot ven imagine what this will do to this family moving forward.

Quite frankly it's disgusting the reaction of the grandpa in my opinion, but he has a right to be angry and misguided anger at that ? he also has a right to bear arms in America.

Having a loaded gun in a " zippered compartment " in a purse, what is wrong with people, why do so many feel this is normal and ok behaviour ? hearing this crap makes me wonder how safe I am being around other regular Joe's when shopping in America ?

Glad to hear nobody else was physically harmed, cannot ven imagine what this will do to this family moving forward.

Quite frankly it's disgusting the reaction of the grandpa in my opinion, but he has a right to be angry and misguided anger at that ? he also has a right to bear arms in America.

Having a loaded gun in a " zippered compartment " in a purse, what is wrong with people, why do so many feel this is normal and ok behaviour ? hearing this crap makes me wonder how safe I am being around other regular Joe's when shopping in America ?

No kidding. As if a toddler would be unable to figure out how to work a zipper. :rolleyes:

I've raised three girls and I can tell you from experience that a two year-old requires constant vigilance.

No kidding. As if a toddler would be unable to figure out how to work a zipper. :rolleyes:

I've raised three girls and I can tell you from experience that a two year-old requires constant vigilance.

I agree, was thinking my own daughter was mezmerized by zippers, scary that an easy oversight by a parent could turn so tragic, but then again this person was living within the rules her society had in place. This IS a teachable experience in every way.

A very tragic accident. I automatically thought what many other posters have already mentioned about the gun's safety being off; not that it matters anymore but if the gun were a 6 shot revolver would it even have a safety? Maybe it's a stupid question but my firearm knowledge is very limited.

I'm sorry but why the hell... I dont even..

"I brought my son around guns and he has extensive experience shooting"

No, you don't teach AND bring gun influence to your son who's aged 2 that. I'm sorry but this tragic death seems preventable.

That was the grandfather speaking of his son.

A very tragic accident. I automatically thought what many other posters have already mentioned about the gun's safety being off; not that it matters anymore but if the gun were a 6 shot revolver would it even have a safety? Maybe it's a stupid question but my firearm knowledge is very limited.

In that case you don't load the first chamber. She should have also known that.

Can someone clarify two things for me? First, why is the safety not on, and second, why is there a bullet in the chamber? Both instances are fairly inexcusable.

Can someone clarify two things for me? First, why is the safety not on, and second, why is there a bullet in the chamber? Both instances are fairly inexcusable.

1. She's a complete idiot that doesn't take firearm safety seriously.

2. See above.

I doubt a 2 year old could pull the trigger on a revolver. Hard to say though, but the trigger on a revolver is much tougher than say a 9mm. There are revolvers out there that have a safety.

More Americans are killed or wounded accidently every year by guns then are protected by them. That gets overlooked a lot.

That's complete speculation. As if you know about and have analyized every incident where a gun has ever been used. Offensively/defensively/accidentally. The biggest issue with guns is safety education and common sense. The lack there-of of either, even if only momentarily. Can lead to these unfortunate circumstaces. That doesn't change the fact that inanimate objects do not do anything themselves.

This is tragic yet preventable.

I understand keeping a gun in your house, maybe...

But does a mother taking her kids to wal-mart really need to be packing a loaded handgun? in Idaho?

is the crime rate that bad in Idaho that a mother cannot go shopping at wal-mart safely without carrying a gun??

this is just beyond stupid. there is gun rights, and there is out of control gun culture.

these people carry guns around because they like it... for whatever reason, a sense of power? something cool to carry around??

what a stupid woman. no excuses for this. you can commit suicide, but don't scar your children for life with your stupidity. the only good news is that her stupidity didn't cost any innocent lives.

unlike that mother of that psyco kid, who felt the need to carry around military style rifles around, and make a whole bunch of innocent children pay with their lives.

Purely speculation but is it possible that raising this child around firearms led to this accident in more ways than one? I mean, I'm assuming the child knew how to aim and pull the trigger given he had seen it done so many times. Obviously he didn't understand the consequences but speaking from the experience of fatherhood my kids didn't even know what a gun was until they were around 4. Even now they often refer to them as kapewers (spelling?). It would most likely take them a lot more time to find the trigger let alone operate the gun correctly thus allowing for more time to correct the situation. Perhaps if this child had never seen a gun before this all could have been avoided. Then again he could have killed himself making this incident a great deal more tragic than it already is.

As I said, without knowing the specifics of the incident it's purely speculation. The kid could have accidently pulled the trigger without aiming and unluckily hit his mother making my point null and void but the defense put up by the father after the incident irked me a little.

Archived