The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible NCAA Free Agent Signing: Michael "Mikey" Vecchione

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=98845

While all of the attention is on the World Juniors, there are a few standouts in NCAA play that could be earning themselves NHL contracts. Around this time last year, we signed Dane Fox. This year, a player has caught my eye that I really like: Mikey Vecchione.

The Canucks have taken a look at a few other NCAA prospects, but haven't brought in Vecchione yet, so he could be a great bottom-six scoring option for us.

Two-way winger who isn't huge in stature but does all of the dirty work in front of the net and is quite speedy. Works very hard and will be ready to make the jump to the next level soon.

IMO NCAA free agents rarely pan out. Correct me if I'm wrong but few NCAA free agents are former draft picks of NHL teams. Notable exceptions in the past that come to mind is Schultz.

Tanev as far as the Canucks go is probably the best NCAA free agent they've ever found, the rest of the highly touted free agents really haven't amounted to much... ie Matt Gilroy, Evan Oberg, Ben Scrivens, etc. There have been some standouts in addition to Tanev that come to mind, such as Matt Read, Dan DeKeyser, Andy Greene.. but most are middling bottom 6 or barely bottom 6 capable, and mostly AHL fodder.

Wasn't Kellan Lain also an NCAA signing?

I get that a free prospect is a free prospect, but I'd rather focus efforts on developing guys with more exposure in environments more hockey centric... NCAA while good competitive sports places a higher importance on (aside from Basketball and Football) academics, with sports being a secondary focus.

I'd rather Benning center his scouting focus on the dub, and over in Europe to find some late round gems, rather than taking a shot at undrafted players, from less hockey-centric environments.

IMO NCAA free agents rarely pan out. Correct me if I'm wrong but few NCAA free agents are former draft picks of NHL teams. Notable exceptions in the past that come to mind is Schultz.

Tanev as far as the Canucks go is probably the best NCAA free agent they've ever found, the rest of the highly touted free agents really haven't amounted to much... ie Matt Gilroy, Evan Oberg, Ben Scrivens, etc. There have been some standouts in addition to Tanev that come to mind, such as Matt Read, Dan DeKeyser, Andy Greene.. but most are middling bottom 6 or barely bottom 6 capable, and mostly AHL fodder.

Wasn't Kellan Lain also an NCAA signing?

I get that a free prospect is a free prospect, but I'd rather focus efforts on developing guys with more exposure in environments more hockey centric... NCAA while good competitive sports places a higher importance on (aside from Basketball and Football) academics, with sports being a secondary focus.

I'd rather Benning center his scouting focus on the dub, and over in Europe to find some late round gems, rather than taking a shot at undrafted players, from less hockey-centric environments.

Yeah, Schultz was a former Ducks pick that left early and chose not to sign with them to go UFA and signed with the trainwreck, there are very few NCAA Free agents that come through that were former picks, they are mainly players passed over in their draft eligible years

Archived