The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God

TheRussianRocket.

And who created God?

We did.

No scratch that. I did. None of the rest of you actually exist except in my mind. But it was you people that told me about God. wtf?

I'm going to back in time to murder my grandfather. That will level things out.

I don't believe there is a God, but let's say for a minute that there is. It definitely wouldn't be any man created God (e.g. the Christian God), so I don't get how people (at least in advanced countries) could still be Christian, Muslim, etc. I understand being Agnostic, because you ultimately can't 100% disprove the possibility of a God (although I wouldn't consider myself Agnostic), but realistically the major religions should be dying out (which they are, but not as much as I think they should be).

Was just reading an info graph about how voluminous the universe is and just how far things are from each other.

For instance, all of the planets of our solar system would fit in the distance between the Earth and the Moon, with room to spare.

Made me sad because it makes one realize that meeting with other life forms is a pipe dream at best. The distance between even solar systems is probably impossible to cover.

Not really contributing to the discussion but this thread came to mind while reading the infograph.

I've never tried to say or write this line of thought down before so bear with me.

If things didn't go exactly right, we wouldn't be here. But who is to say something else wouldn't be?

That is, i believe (and I think logic supports this) that were here because time and the formation of our universe (obviously) went our way. But further than that, we exist as we do because we are what can exist in a solar system like ours in a universe like ours. The article mentioned strong and weak forces and their delicate balance. Great ...but if they were different the universe would be too. Who knows what it might have been like. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all, it just means that we are the result of our reality. It wasn't made for humans in the same logic that had early man claiming the Sun revolved around US, the centre of the universe.

I've never tried to say or write this line of thought down before so bear with me.

If things didn't go exactly right, we wouldn't be here. But who is to say something else wouldn't be?

That is, i believe (and I think logic supports this) that were here because time and the formation of our universe (obviously) went our way. But further than that, we exist as we do because we are what can exist in a solar system like ours in a universe like ours. The article mentioned strong and weak forces and their delicate balance. Great ...but if they were different the universe would be too. Who knows what it might have been like. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all, it just means that we are the result of our reality. It wasn't made for humans in the same logic that had early man claiming the Sun revolved around US, the centre of the universe.

+1

Basically the anthropic principle

For those who feel threatened for whatever reason by a simple postulation that God may exist, relax. Metaxas isn't demanding you believe in God.

He's pointed out the universe is filled with extraordinary order and the odds for just our planet (us) to be here is ridiculous, suggesting of a higher power "something--or Someone--beyond itself.", and then the odds of the universe to perfectly expand to make life and everything else possible.

Like many of his contemporaries, all he is doing is making a claim that "something" created the Universe, and just like them he is overlooking the fact that he still has all of his work ahead of him in determining what this "something" might be.

God, Allah, Buddha, Jupiter, Odin, Zeus... or Puff the magic dragon, or Count Chocula. Based on what we can observe all are equally unlikely.

If anything can be said he/she is probably an indifferent being with poor manners, who has never bothered to introduce itself properly and really doesnt give a rat's ass what we think or believe, having never interacted with our society in any meaningful way unless you... literally... buy into the mythology.

This man may not be aware of it, but he is a whore. He doesnt care who or what it is that created the Universe, and he will settle for anything.

We ourselves have only been broadcasting for less than 100 years and our signal only reaches a handful of nearby stars. Consider as well that technological development may mean we discover a means of communication, such as subspace signals (eg faster than light communication). For all we know alien civilizations have already developed these and we don't have a means for picking up their signals.

Think as well that if this is true, then there is only a limited time span for when we can pick up early alien radio signals as they develop technology. It's also entirely possibly that alien civilizations have entirely different forms of wireless communication that we have yet to conceive. Could also be possible that the time between a civilization developing said technology to it eventually destroying itself is minutely small on a universal scale. For all we know several interstellar civilizations have come and gone before we even existed.

Archived