The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bonino the 2014/2015 version of Mason Raymond?

vcrguy

He'll be fine, what people need to worry about is if Daniel Sedin's years as a sniper are over. To spark them both, WD should think of splitting up the Sedins.

Burrows-Henrik-Vrbata

Daniel-Bonino-Higgins

Mathias-Richardson-Vey

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

But, it'll never happen because of how good the twins play together, even though they are not the same pair they were before Daniels concussion.

Could you imagine if Bonino could skate like Raymond.......wow

Great Post Tyhee......One thing to consider with Vey is he has flashes of offensive brilliance. While he is wildly inconsistent......of our young players so far has shown the greatest ability to produce points. Sooner or later you gotta give these guys a decent look in the top 6. This applies to Kassian as well.

Bonino was heavily criticized last season in Anaheim as well. His skating is terrible and when he goes cold he's an easy target. I seem to remember him being press boxed last playoffs and then when he came back he played excellent and did some damage. Was one the Ducks better players.

Bottom line is Bonino is not Raymond not even close. Different game altogether.

Is there really such thing as a consistent offensive threat that plays second line and second power play unit. He's a steal at 1.9. and he's the least of our worries.

Well.

Higgins is a third liner at best.

Hansen is not skilled enough to be a second liner. He's more of a third line checker.

Vey is too young and he's inconsistent.

Kassian has not proved himself that he belongs on the second line.

Burrows is actually decent. But he can go streaky at times.

I've been saying it even before Gillis was fired. We need another top 6 second line winger. Especially after now getting rid of the cancer. Cancer was our goal scorer for many years on the second line. Now, we have none. If we really want to make the playoffs we really need to find more players like Cancer, minus the cancer attitude.

I'm realy starting to think that burr should go back with the twins and vrbata should drop to the second line.

Bonino hasnt been very good for a while now. Regardless of whom the guys wingers are, hes not helping the team the way a 2nd line C should be. If he were at least able to win faceoffs or make a strong defensive or physical contribution, but he doesnt really make a significant impact there either. He's not a bad player, but top 6 is a stretch for him imo.

Ill wait for the playoffs before passing judgment on him, as he was a very effective player for Anaheim in the post season.

Not even close, if anything Vey would be, but that's still not a good comparison. Bonino is playing in a 2nd line role for his first time, give the guy patience he's a great player, just he will learn to become better. He also said at the beginning of the year, don't expect lots of points like Kesler, atleast he was honest. I don't think most fans argued with that statement, because we kind of knew he wasn't going to keep up in points with what Kesler used to do, but that he was a great player to get from a limited trade with Kesler.

It's time for people to learn to let go of some fan favorites on this team, and realize this is a buisness not a retirement home. If you want to win you need to let go and fix what you need. One area is offense, players who get paid a certain amount where they should be scoring, yet still strugle to have that type of skill set. They may be great hard working players, but you need to score to win simple as that, as mentioned it's a buisness to win, not to fail and lose.

Everyone likes to blame the goalies here, but really it's not the goalies that suck, it's our D that sucks and has for years. This is the one area that needs a complete overhaul, because it's just not working and has stopped working for a while. Before we throw another goalie out of town, get ride of the D and bring in some new fresh faces and skill and heart, then you'll see it's not the goalies here that suck, it's just been our D for a while.

Is this a troll post? I have never trolled before, but when it looks like a troll post, it's probably a troll post.

Bonino is a 2C, 21 points in 35 games, on pace for 18 goals not bad for a 2C. Bonino is producing better than Brad Richards, Paul Statsny, Jarrett Stoll -- other comparable 2Cs.

Also stupid to compare Bonino to Raymond. Raymond is a 3rd line player, was soft, who played on the perimeter and that's why a lot of fans thought he was not useful to our team. Bonino on the other hand is defensively good, has a good shot, can be a playmaker, and has a high hockey IQ. So Bonino brings a lot more to the team than Raymond does.

Is this a troll post? I have never trolled before, but when it looks like a troll post, it's probably a troll post.

Bonino is a 2C, 21 points in 35 games, on pace for 18 goals not bad for a 2C. Bonino is producing better than Brad Richards, Paul Statsny, Jarrett Stoll -- other comparable 2Cs.

Also stupid to compare Bonino to Raymond. Raymond is a 3rd line player, was soft, who played on the perimeter and that's why a lot of fans thought he was not useful to our team. Bonino on the other hand is defensively good, has a good shot, can be a playmaker, and has a high hockey IQ. So Bonino brings a lot more to the team than Raymond does.

You're missing the point. I'm comparing the two because MayRay always started fast and then slowed down / fizzled out. Kind of like what Bonino is doing right now.

He'll be fine, what people need to worry about is if Daniel Sedin's years as a sniper are over. To spark them both, WD should think of splitting up the Sedins.

Burrows-Henrik-Vrbata

Daniel-Bonino-Higgins

Mathias-Richardson-Vey

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

But, it'll never happen because of how good the twins play together, even though they are not the same pair they were before Daniels concussion.

I second this comment. Daniel is no longer a shooter!

Since the Sedins are now both set up guys split them up and you have an elite passer on both of the top 2 lines

The Sedins are also very competitive with each other and will want to out produce their brother

Apparently they were both Centres on seperate lines when they were kids

I second this comment. Daniel is no longer a shooter!

Since the Sedins are now both set up guys split them up and you have an elite passer on both of the top 2 lines

The Sedins are also very competitive with each other and will want to out produce their brother

Apparently they were both Centres on seperate lines when they were kids

You could also reunite them several times a game...for powerplays or just to shake things up

You could also reunite them several times a game...for powerplays or just to shake things up

I agree with this. Canucks coaches have done this in the past here and there but as more of a "give your heads a shake" kind of thing. I've never understood why. Especially now when we're looking for balance throughout our lineup.

Their powerplay is their specialty, and having them together on it is a no brainer. They have time and space to feed passes. But to me its simple... Playmaker with a shooter. Not two on a line.

He's doing all of the right things on the ice, and replacing Kesler pretty damn well. It's not like he has any true 2nd line wingers either.

Bonino struggled to get points for awhile, but basically the whole team did in that same stretch.

he should have produced when our guys cant, and when we were having stretches the third and fourth line produced, which is suppose to be the 1st and 2nd lines role, Though its good our bottom produces in those times.

he should have produced when our guys cant, and when we were having stretches the third and fourth line produced, which is suppose to be the 1st and 2nd lines role, Though its good our bottom produces in those times.

I'm conflicted about whether I think you should be banned for consistent idiocy or if you're worth keeping around for your intoxicated ranting

Admit it guys, the Canucks do not have a true 2nd line. It's really 3A, 3B, and 3C. This is not a radical statement. I see it all the time.

Most every team in the NHL have a top 6, and a bottom 6. They will also check their opposition accordingly. So the Canucks 3A line is going to face top defenders. 3A does not seem to have much difficulty defensively, but they disappear offensively for long periods. This is due to being overmatched in the offensive zone.

Bonino has an awfully nice shot. I would like to think that he could grow into a true 2C. Since Bonino is on the small side, I think that he would benefit greatly from playing with a play making power forward. The Canucks have one of those but he is young and not defensively responsible and not really an option at this time.

Should Vrbata play with Bonino 5 on 5? He is a true top 6 player and would certainly help but he is not big either. The question is, would Vrbata benefit the team better playing with the Sedin's? If Vrbata played on 3A, then who would slot in with the Sedins? Burrows? Jensen?

I don't see a trade for a top 6 forward coming soon. The first need is depth on defense.

I think that the Canucks can carry on as they are. As they are built right now, they have good depth and with respect to line 3C, the reverse is true from 3A. More often than not, 3C will do better than their opposition. In the meantime, we wait for players to develop. :unsure:

Archived