The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nick Bonino playing himself out of the second line center position

Sedintwinpowersactivate

1 goal in his last 22 games played. That beats out any quiet stretch he had all last season. But don't worry. His 'underlying numbers' are all still good, right?

As I've been saying all along, there was a pretty good chance that we were going to wear Bonino out if we played him a lot of minutes in the role we needed him to play here. Last year he had a pretty good job, getting Getzlaf-Perry power play time, a lot of 2nd assists there, and was behind a bunch of centers in their es deployment depth chart.

Early in the season people tooted some horns about Bonino's production and how the Kesler trade should be called the Bonino trade, etc. and all I said was, 'it is early, wait and see.' Now I think we are seeing the reality here.

Not that I'm stepping on anyone's toes. I think everyone had realistic expectations of what Bonino could deliver. He was never going to be a replacement for Kesler. He's just been a fairly effective stop gap for us while this team continues the process of a rebuild.

Can you imagine this team without Bonino? We'd lack a bunch of faceoff capability for starters, and the shot totals against would be much, much worse than they are now. We needed a center in return for Kesler, just to maintain a respectable NHL lineup, and that's what we have. In fact, more than respectable. No, we're not going to win a cup, but for better or worse, we're going to have a decent shot at the playoffs this year. Hopefully we won't finish just out of the playoffs, because that would be extremely stupid to do during a rebuild, but hey, we could at least say we almost made the playoffs in 2015 in that case, right?

I don't want to get too down on Bonino though. He's done fairly well. People probably should not have expected a 2nd line center, but if we throw him into that role, whatever. I think part of his production problem is that he may be playing hurt. The other part is that Hamhuis is out, and that's a HUGE hole in our puck control defense. If Bonino still struggles upon Hammer's return, then that's that.

It is mentioned time and time again that strength up the middle is what you need. Thank God we brought in Horvat, because Vey isn't a center and for some reason Matthias isn't being tried there. I would continue to find ways to spread the icetime around further though. It's a long season, and players need to be kept as fresh as possible.

1 goal in his last 22 games played. That beats out any quiet stretch he had all last season. But don't worry. His 'underlying numbers' are all still good, right?

As I've been saying all along, there was a pretty good chance that we were going to wear Bonino out if we played him a lot of minutes in the role we needed him to play here. Last year he had a pretty good job, getting Getzlaf-Perry power play time, a lot of 2nd assists there, and was behind a bunch of centers in their es deployment depth chart.

Early in the season people tooted some horns about Bonino's production and how the Kesler trade should be called the Bonino trade, etc. and all I said was, 'it is early, wait and see.' Now I think we are seeing the reality here.

Not that I'm stepping on anyone's toes. I think everyone had realistic expectations of what Bonino could deliver. He was never going to be a replacement for Kesler. He's just been a fairly effective stop gap for us while this team continues the process of a rebuild.

Can you imagine this team without Bonino? We'd lack a bunch of faceoff capability for starters, and the shot totals against would be much, much worse than they are now. We needed a center in return for Kesler, just to maintain a respectable NHL lineup, and that's what we have. In fact, more than respectable. No, we're not going to win a cup, but for better or worse, we're going to have a decent shot at the playoffs this year. Hopefully we won't finish just out of the playoffs, because that would be extremely stupid to do during a rebuild, but hey, we could at least say we almost made the playoffs in 2015 in that case, right?

I don't want to get too down on Bonino though. He's done fairly well. People probably should not have expected a 2nd line center, but if we throw him into that role, whatever. I think part of his production problem is that he may be playing hurt. The other part is that Hamhuis is out, and that's a HUGE hole in our puck control defense. If Bonino still struggles upon Hammer's return, then that's that.

Bonino is younger than Kesler, his potential is greater and he's on an unbelievable contract. Kesler is over rated. His faceoff and hitting ability will always be greater than Boninos but you don't lose too much else. He's just having a cold month, he's proven his talent.

Kesler is -2

Bonino is 4

6 plus minus differential is significant.

Edit: It is the Bonino trade.

Remember guys, Kesler demanded a trade out of town. It killed us competitively as he knew it would. I'm sure Benning thought he needed to try to compete for the playoffs this year so he took the package, rather than a high pick for Kesler. I guess we'll see what McCann becomes and then well know how we made out.

Bonino is younger than Kesler, his potential is greater and he's on an unbelievable contract. Kesler is over rated. His faceoff and hitting ability will always be greater than Boninos but you don't lose too much else. He's just having a cold month, he's proven his talent.

Kesler is -2

Bonino is 4

I think the phase of comparing him to Kesler is fairly over with. Kesler's gone, and we now have to focus on Bonino.

I like the positivity in your post. However, we will still need to get some production from him. He's been cold since early November.

There's 90 'first liners' in the NHL. 90 'second liners' in the NHL. Bonino is 100th in scoring. Bjugstad, Duchene, Henrique, Marchand, Johansson, Staal, Nielsen, O'Reilly, Eberle, and Jagr are all of the players who have 21 points. And, of those 11 players, Bonino has the third lowest TOI/GP (16:59).

I don't know why people are now jumping off the Bonino bandwagon. People were stupid to claim he was better or on par with Kesler when he was hot, but now people are acting like he's not a top six player. He's playing with third liners people, come on.

lol, bonino is going to have the same problem kesler did. third liners around him for years.

Kesler is -2

Bonino is 4

lol, You serious? Do you really believe that ? 6 plus means nothing.

Now, Kesler has over 40 more shots than Bonino. Thats significant.

I think the phase of comparing him to Kesler is fairly over with. Kesler's gone, and we now have to focus on Bonino.

I like the positivity in your post. However, we will still need to get some production from him. He's been cold since early November.

He's was terrible offensively this month. Terrible. But he's shown enough previously to know he'll turn it around. Honestly I think he's been Snake bitten and we shouldn't worry. His shot is actually extremely dangerous.

I haven't seen enough from him yet , but he doesn't make dumb plays defensively and is generally sound. He can shut down guys like Getzlaf. I think his defensive play has been sound. Even sounder than keslers (from what I've seen from kesler, granted I haven't watched even half of his games)

His offense will follow. Hopefully they can solidify his wingers. I think Higgins and Bones are a great pair.

I'm going to disagree with some of the assessments there, but I don't want to put everything on Bonino either. He's not the one we should be calling on, it's the stars of the team who at the end of the day need to be stars. On LA's gwg tonight... Ugh... What can you say? This has been the norm for awhile?

Oh, and just so I'm being clear, whether we like it or not, Bonino IS a top-6 player for us. We have no choice.

It is mentioned time and time again that strength up the middle is what you need. Thank God we brought in Horvat, because Vey isn't a center and for some reason Matthias isn't being tried there. I would continue to find ways to spread the icetime around further though. It's a long season, and players need to be kept as fresh as possible.

Nice post Ban. Your posts are usually apt and articulate. Cheers.

Now that I've got the ass grabbing out of the way..

I would have to agree he's playing injured. It certainly doesn't seem like lack of effort. Someone mentioned he sports a couple knee braces earlier in the season? I find it hard to believe he's dropped off as fast as he has without something hobbling him in one way or another.

He definitely was thrust into a much bigger role here than he was used to in Anaheim. He was never going to "replace" Kesler in the sense of a Selke nominant type of centreman though. As you said, a stop guard for this season.

I'm not disappointed in his play at all really. Obviously you'd like to see him contributing offensively a whole lot more than he has of late, but he is certainly not detrimental to the team when he's on the ice.

No matter how you slice "who won this trade" it was a necessary trade. Sbisa has been as advertised... A 5-6 defender who hits hard. He's young, and he's cheap. McCann has been playing well so far this season, and while that doesn't mean anything as far as the NHL goes, still seems to be shaping up to be a good pickup.

I'm not sorry in the slightest to see Kesler gone. His play on the ice was welcome for sure, but give me 2 players who want to play hard for this team and a solid 1st rounder for a distraction like him any day of the week.

Cold streaks happen to the best of them (even Sid is cold; it's rare to find guys outside of elite players like Seguin and Voracek who are remarkably consistent). Once Zack comes back I hope Willie would shuffle him into the top 6, with either him or Vey flanking Bones to set him up more often, and have Burr back on his wing. That should help Nick find his scoring again.

Bonino can bring a bag of popcorn and eat it at center ice and he will still be our 2c. We don't have anybody that can fill his role. He had an amazing start to the year and has cooled down. I expect he'll start producing soon enough. He's done well given his linemates

Archived