The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nick Bonino playing himself out of the second line center position

Sedintwinpowersactivate

He certainly is slowing down. I want to say maybe he's injured but maybe he's just in a funk.

In the video of Horvat making the Canucks, you can see Bone putting on a knee brace as he was sitting beside Bo.

The Brace is hanging on the wall behind Bonino

bo_horvat.png

Until we know if there's anything wrong physically with Bonino, and thus the reason his production decreased substantially, i must say he's the Canuck that's disappointing me the most. Prob a bit strange considering he joined the team this year but that's probably because he had such a great start of the season and i have high expectations of him; I think a healthy Bonino will do us a great deal in the longer run, he's great value for money with the shot he has. He's still on par to have a good 1st season with the Canucks though.

A knee brace can be for support or prevention. Just like lots of people routinely have their ankles taped. It doesn't mean they're injured. I don't remember Bonino taking a shot in the knees this year. Anybody?

Apollo, I like your confidence about the team. I think you're bang on except.....I disagree about your assessment of the 2nd line. :)

They need a bona fide top 6 winger. One would help a lot. Either a sniper or a big body may help create some space which Bonino just doesn't have lately. I like that they're trying Vrbata with Bonino and I hope they keep them together for at least 3 games to see if it really works.

Anaheim dumping Sbisa on us definitely widens the gap between kesler and Bonino & 1st

Dump? Iono I guess you can call it a dump but you make it sound like he's a huge cap hit and locked up long term. 2 mill and is a restricted free agent end of this year. He's had many solid games and a large handful of bad games, same as bieksa, hamhuis, Weber and Stanton.

What I'm trying to get it though, he isn't a dump. He's an asset.

The entire top 6 is in a slump, as far as I'm concerned.

What is apparent to me is that we have a good lineup that saw a nice spurt to start the season, but that is now coming back down to earth.

Changing the lineup around at this point is risky as it sends a signal to the team that they are in trouble. However, the right shuffle could make all the difference.

Personally, I think Daniel and Hank could benefit from the space making talents of Burrows, their longtime and most successful right winger in history. This type of change would not signal trouble as it is not change to something never done before, but a return of the jedi, if you will.

Then, Vrbata goes on the wing with Bonino, who is Bonino's type of player: north-south, quick transition, pass-shoot, bang-bang. The Sedins cycle, and that is not Vrbata's strength. It certainly is Burrows' strength.

With Vrbata on the 2nd line right side, all you need is a somewhat skilled/fast forechecker/body crasher on the left side of the 2nd line. That remains the team's gap at this point. If they can find the right power forward for this role, they could be a force. There would be no issues with the resulting bottom six.

Personally, I'd trade Kassian today for that 2nd line left side role to fill. Kassian's limitations on this club make him an asset we can parlay for a roster player today. There is enough forward depth in our prospect pool to pull the trigger on shipping out Kassian, who never seemed to find a groove in Vancouver anyway.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

(Kassian Trade) Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Matthias Horvat Dorsett

Don't want to say that I called it, but the timing is uncanny. Stoked to see how it goes...

Dump? Iono I guess you can call it a dump but you make it sound like he's a huge cap hit and locked up long term. 2 mill and is a restricted free agent end of this year. He's had many solid games and a large handful of bad games, same as bieksa, hamhuis, Weber and Stanton.

What I'm trying to get it though, he isn't a dump. He's an asset.

he plays at the level of a #6-7 defensemen and has a 2 million cap hit. That is a cap dump.

Don't want to say that I called it, but the timing is uncanny. Stoked to see how it goes...

It's interesting that you are labelling that 2nd lw slot as (Kassian trade) when all we could get for him at this point is a player like Burrows or Higgins, who you're also describing as a need in that slot.

Sounds like a bad move, considering Kassian's value is low, but potential is still high, and considering we already have Burrows and Higgins.

he plays at the level of a #6-7 defensemen and has a 2 million cap hit. That is a cap dump.

Next to Edler, Sbisa is the hardest hitting defenceman the Canucks have. A $2 million cap hit for a big, physical, young defenceman is nothing. I shudder to think how weak this defence corps would look if Sbisa wasn't hammering guys like he is right now.

Next to Edler, Sbisa is the hardest hitting defenceman the Canucks have. A $2 million cap hit for a big, physical, young defenceman is nothing. I shudder to think how weak this defence corps would look if Sbisa wasn't hammering guys like he is right now.

It doesn't matter how big phyiscal or young a defensemen is if they suck at hockey.

Good call, I'm hoping for the best also. Not sure what the issue is with Bonino, but this will put one theory to the test, namely that its his RW. Personally, I think Higgins has been part of the problem offensively. We'll see.

Archived