The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Refs not even bothering to hide their anti-Canuck bias anymore

*Buzzsaw*

All the penalties called against us were bad calls... But you know which one was the worst? The icing call on a set Sedin play from our own end, Henrik shooting it down to the Kings zone with the puck goign around the boards and Daniel Sedin clearly being the first to the hashmarks and the puck regardless of which icing rule we're using and yet Greg Devorski still calls it an icing

I thought these comments made by Matt_T83 on the Vancouver Canucks vs LA Kings (GDT) thread, post #821.. made some sense.

Quote: "The refs favour LA so heavily the Canucks become tentative. When you play a cleaner game but somehow get 4 penatlies called against you, and the dirtier team (LA) only 1, you play tentative.

The Canucks are afraid to play hard, giving the Kings a competitive advantage. Corrupt referees can 100% steer a game between evenly matched teams." - close quote.

I'm NOT saying that the offciating was corrupt last night..just that maybe a natural bias has developed within the So-Cal crew members who typically work the So-Cal triangle. Neither Greg Devorki nor Paul Devorski, (last season's author of a game which featured 7 minutes of straight 5 on 3s),...have been historically kind to our 'Nucks. From minute one, the crew was disposed to see things LA's way. The very odd whistles to start the game,...errors on off-sides & icing,...& then the rest of the officiating team calling extremely soft holding calls, (more like leaning-in or leaning-on calls)...when far more dangerous or violent slashes, cross-checks & other infractions by LA were ignored. This was not reasonable nor all that fair to say the least. So - why? We are only speculating....why.

LA had finished losing to 2 inferior teams (CGY, EDM) & out-shoot both - badly. Their home crew was now here in VAN & not that on-board with aiding or abetting another upset. They clearly over-compensated. LA's familiar home-boys were now in an away building - was this by design? I can't say. But - the name 'Devorski' always raises warning flags for me. Elder brother Paul Devorski could not be in more thick with the BOG Chairman (media-mogul Jacobs) & his agendas. 2 peas from the same pod?

The very odd, late, strange & sometimes erroneous off-side & icing whistles that were favorable to LA to start the game....only fore-shadowed what was to come. Officiating was NOT the reason the Canucks lost the game. But - the officiating was not altogether fair or balanced. That slant from the start,.. may have influenced how the game could be attacked or played thru-out. No risk allowed,... meant less chance for reward.

You Shouldn't Rely on The Power Play to Score

This relies too much on the refs making calls, and we all know the whistle pretty much vanishes in the playoffs. This is also part of the persecution complex in Vancouver. The Sedins, being powerplay wizards in their prime, absolutely needed the powerplay to be effective. So when the calls stopped coming, the whining started increasing. And so did the diving.

A team that is built properly shouldn't need the powerplay at all to score. A coach should be able to focus on a 5-on-5 deployment strategy and treat powerplays as a bonus. If that is the case, then his team is close to being ready to win.

Tonight the Canucks weren't getting any calls because they were outplayed. Simple as that. The Kings currently have a well-constructed team.

Agreed. +1

We would all like more PP, but a shitty team NEEDS them to win.

This conspiracy this is such BS.

We aren't getting the calls because we don't keep our feet moving. If there was an actual effort, we would see the calls.

Why don't we focus on our 5 on 5 play? If that effort improves, I bet we see more PP

I thought these comments made by Matt_T83 on the Vancouver Canucks vs LA Kings (GDT) thread, post #821.. made some sense.

Quote: "The refs favour LA so heavily the Canucks become tentative. When you play a cleaner game but somehow get 4 penatlies called against you, and the dirtier team (LA) only 1, you play tentative.

The Canucks are afraid to play hard, giving the Kings a competitive advantage. Corrupt referees can 100% steer a game between evenly matched teams." - close quote

I didn't even read how you planned on backing this up. This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

The canucks are scared to play hard against LA for fear of getting called. Give me an f'n break.

you can't actually believe such a stupid quote.

We are getting those penalties because of the lack of hard work.

Drifting around and putting your stick in feet gets you called. We don't keep up with pace, try to make a move at the last second. That almost always ends up with a penalty.

From the day you start playing hockey you are taught to Always Keep Your Feet Moving!!

They have been playing garbage lazy hockey. That's why they get called. You can force someone into taking a penalty if you are working hard. We haven't.

Im blown away someone would read those quotes and actually agree with them.

Jesus people.

Last night once the game got down to the 5min mark i was thinking..just wait for it and boom. Bit of a weak call on Stanton and one you would never see in the playoffs. That said the Canucks deserved to lose with that performance, almost Torterella like.

All the penalties called against us were bad calls... But you know which one was the worst? The icing call on a set Sedin play from our own end, Henrik shooting it down to the Kings zone with the puck goign around the boards and Daniel Sedin clearly being the first to the hashmarks and the puck regardless of which icing rule we're using and yet Greg Devorski still calls it an icing

that was offside wasn't it?

It's not just the Canucks, even though at times it feels that way.

There is obviously game management going on, giving the trailing team a PP etc., and it makes you wonder how far it goes.

The improprieties in the NHL Head Office, the Auger incident, the conflict of interest with Campbell and his kid. They all just reinforce an uneasy feeling about the reasons for the actual outcome of games.

Was it simply a bad call, or was there an agenda behind it?

Archived