The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Refs not even bothering to hide their anti-Canuck bias anymore

*Buzzsaw*

You don't win hockey games in this league very often when you are outshot 40-16. Just saying. Lot's more going with the Canucks these days than the refs. Never liked the "sit on the lead" scenario with AV, like it even less with WD. Thought we were over that mentality. Guess not as you cannot sit on a 1 goal lead with the defending Stanley Cup Champions and expect to win, especially when they have lost the last two (close) games and are VERY hungry for a win.

:)

While I sometimes press the homer button and blame the refs there is no point. There are some names, yes, like Devorski, that make me upset when I see them on the sheet before a game. But the game is over if the Canucks had outshot LA, SJ, or Anaheim but lost do a few bad calls than yes I may feel a little angry but we played terrible and still managed 3/6 points vs Cali teams despite the major Corsi difference.

Move on, get ready to watch Virtanen wreck the Danes, and enjoy yourself.

The Canucks played badly, and lost the game. They could have still won, except for the last three minutes they couldn't even get the puck out of the zone

The ice was shifted against the canucks, but it wasn't why they lost.

In the first period the canucks had 3 questionable offsides plays called against them which floored me, 3, and the linesman Devorski was 20 ft off the blue line as John Garrett said.

I was soo floored, I took pics

the third was pretty close so I can see that one being ify

All the penalties called against us were bad calls... But you know which one was the worst? The icing call on a set Sedin play from our own end, Henrik shooting it down to the Kings zone with the puck goign around the boards and Daniel Sedin clearly being the first to the hashmarks and the puck regardless of which icing rule we're using and yet Greg Devorski still calls it an icing

that was an offside.......did you watch the game? Shorty and garret clearly explained that play.

If anyone actually believes the Canucks are the subject of an officiating bias, why would you continue to waste your time and belittle yourself by actually watching the games? Wouldn't you choose to do something more productive with your time?

precisely

The Canucks played badly, and lost the game. They could have still won, except for the last three minutes they couldn't even get the puck out of the zone

In the first period the canucks had 3 questionable offsides plays called against them which floored me, 3, and the linesman Devorski was 20 ft off the blue line as John Garrett said.

The TV melted your santa chocolates :(

It's not pro-California, or anti-Vancouver.

Any time you have individuals, regardless of years of experience making judgement calls and interpretations on the fly during an extremely fast paced game, you're going to get bad calls.

This is not exclusive to the Vancouver Canucks, you only think it is because you're predominantly exposed to it during Canuck games.

In fact, I'm astonished that the level of bad officiating isn't worse than it actually is; did it ever occur to you that the reason for the lack of penalties against the California teams is due to them being superior teams, and having an ability to dictate the play rather than the ones being dictated?

The team playing catch up throughout a game are often the ones taking most of the penalties, and the Canucks this season and last are very often playing catch up -- not necessarily in the score but in the play.

As tough as it is to admit, the Canucks are not a very good "team" right now, there are pockets of skill and "try hard" effort, but it simply is what it is. We're a middle of the pack team, and more often than not we allow other teams to dictate the play. Is it any coincidence, in 2010 and 2011 when we won back to back Presidents trophies, how dominant we were in dictating the play, and as a result received significantly more power plays than what we receive now?

The difference is we converted on far more of those chances because the team was better than it is now, the team was also 3-4 years younger than they are now.

This team is getting old, and slowly transitioning to a youth based approach. It's all cyclical, if you're a dominant team, you dictate the play. Simple as that.

Tired of this argument surrounding the reffing and the Canucks.

The Nucks need to play harder to draw penalties.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed last night a few attempts to draw penalties that were borderline Kesleresque, all with the intent to get on the pp. Newsflash: don't try to get on the pp, try to win without your special teams and the chances will follow.

Calls are missed every single game in the NHL, no matter what teams are playing. Playing harder is the only answer.

that was offside wasn't it?

No pretty sure it was icing

that was an offside.......did you watch the game? Shorty and garret clearly explained that play.

I was at the game so I didn't have the luxury of Shorty and Garrett explaining it to me. The puck was dropped at center ice after the whistle and that usually means the linesman made a mistake, usually resulting from a bad icing call.

It wasn't. They thought it was before the break but when they came back it was literally that Devo blew the call completely so they faced off at centre ice.

guys stop blaming the referees.Canucks looked scared while they played LA kings last night. No forecheck, no hits on D-men, no hits on the forwards, scared to shoot the puck, no speed, they tried playing a trap style game and failed; also its time to take a page out of the blackhawks book, to beat LA kings you need to show speed and skill, so the question becomes does this team posess these assets? Last night the defence could not even make a tape to tape to the forwards. Time to give a Sanguetti a shot already, so i can stop mentioning him in every thread. lol

If you ever watch an actual game you will see what we are talking about

Did you watch all the calls last night they could have called on us and didn't.

Burrows obvious trip comes to mind first of all.

If you ever watch an actual game outside of a Canucks game you will see that it happens all over. Refs miss calls; and sometimes they even screw up calls. It happens and we should stop whining about this conspiracy theory bulls**t.

Looks like the NHL has sent out a message to the league Refs and Linesmen...

"Season Bonus offered... for the most ignored hacks, slashes and dirty play on the Canucks"

Watching Hansen bleeding from the mouth on the bench, a result of a high stick to the face while he had a scoring chance... which was ignored... obvious what is happening.

Canucks are officially on the 'must lose' list handed out to all Refs and Linesmen.

I'm sure Boston, Rangers, Caps and a half dozen other teams feel the same as they have had less power plays than Van. I think Boston so far has had 30+ less power plays than Vancouver while playing a few games more. Vancouver is still in the bottom half maybe even bottom 10 for power plays against.

If anyone actually believes the Canucks are the subject of an officiating bias, why would you continue to waste your time and belittle yourself by actually watching the games? Wouldn't you choose to do something more productive with your time?

Because they don't actually believe the nonsense that they spew. I've noticed that the whining about the refs reaches a fever pitch whenever we play a team that has eliminated us from the playoffs in the last decade or so. Last night's game was a case in point with all the usual suspects dissecting every single offside, icing and penalty call. Even before the game there were posters whining about the officials. Some people simply need to complain about everything no matter what and the advent of the internet seems to have made conspiracy theories much more popular than in the past. Not that I'm complaining; the GDT was far more entertaining than the game itself...

Well the stats pretty much tell the story.

In the six games against the Cali team the penalties are 21 to 13 in favour of the Cali teams. Not to mention 2 penalty shots.

5 of the Cali penalties came in 1 game. A game where the Kings were up 4-0 in the game before the majority were called.

Yes tell me again there is no Cali bias. At least there has been no 7min penalties this year.

Well I watch WWE too!

Its called entertainment.

I can't wait until the day when officials don't make offside calls and the puck has a chip or Smth in it that decides.

Officiating in the last 3 games was horrible.

Archived