The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades David Perron to PIT for 1st round pick

@DarrenDreger:

Oilers trade Perron to the Penguins for a 1st round pick in 2015.

1st rounder in this years draft. Good deal for both sides. Pens get a top 6 winger who should gel well with Gino or Sid and Oilers get a 20-30 range draft pick and add to their rebuilding rebuild.

@FAN590:

The #Penguins will also send winger Rob Klinkhammer back to Edmonton in the David Perron deal. #NHL

...that kind of sweetens the pot for Edmonton I'd have to say. Fulfills both teams needs and both come out as winners; I'd argue Oilers got the better end of this deal.

They win on value, but they certainly don't get better now. Considering their record with using their draft picks to win games, I don't think they really get better for future either.

I don't think Edmonton is done.

Oh, they're done. Done at having any chance at the playoffs this year.

Tank tank tankity tank, I said a tank tank tankity tank

tank tank tank

Tank tank tankity tank, I said a tank tank tankity tank

(sung to the tune of HIMYM bang song)

All and all this looks like a good deal for Edmonton, but I am surprised they couldn't pry out one of Pittsburgh's young defensemen. We've all seen how well the Oilers have developed their picks..

Might have been better off taking less value (or adding to the package) to get someone close to NHL ready like Dumoulin Despres or Harrington.

Just to clarify

Perron got a 1st round pick.

Think on that everyone when the trade talks start heating up over the next 60 days and people are still claiming we have worthless players in regards to trade value.

Seriously shocked Edm got that value for Perron.

Perron definitely has more value than any Canuck whose names keep coming up as trade bait though.

even if they dont get the first overall they have plenty of picks to try and trade up for it

I was going to say this as well in my earlier post. they're a top 3 pick for sure and could capably move down a spot and pick players up.

IE trading the 1st overall for say (Buffalo gets it) the 2nd overall and Tyler Myers or Tistolainen/Zadorov and then takes this spare 1st as well as Yakupov/RNH/Eberle and maybe + to get the 3rd 4th or 5th overall as well.

Perron scored 28 goals last year. Even this year, he's somehow managed .5 points per game playing mostly with Draisaitl and Yakupov, who have both been terrible.

Look at last game: gets 2 assists, setting up goals by Matt Fraser and Andrew Ference. Each of those should count double!

I was going to say this as well in my earlier post. they're a top 3 pick for sure and could capably move down a spot and pick players up.

IE trading the 1st overall for say (Buffalo gets it) the 2nd overall and Tyler Myers or Tistolainen/Zadorov and then takes this spare 1st as well as Yakupov/RNH/Eberle and maybe + to get the 3rd 4th or 5th overall as well.

...Why would Buffalo trade any of those guys to move up one spot? They already have Girgensons and Reinhart as future top-6 centers. Eichel fits the Sabres' needs quite well.

Oilers need some nhl bodies more then anyone right now

Hall-rnh-eberle

Pouliot-Roy-yakupov

Fraser-draistl-purcell

Hendricks-Gordon-pitlick

That is God awful, trading hall or eberle has never looked more needed and who knows what you would get for yakupov but 1 of them has to go

And the rumour was yesterday they would confirm they're going to send Draisaitl back to junior.

Klinkhammer is listed a a winger mostly but center on some sites, but he's only taken 1 draw all year (in 10 games mind you) so he won't be replacing Draisaitl. Pitlick is more likely to take over the 4th line and Gordon move up to the 3rd.

Pittsburgh's top six looks mighty dangerous once they are healthy

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron

Dupuis-Malkin-Hornqvist

Spaling-Sutter-Bennett

Downie-Goc-Comeau

damn

I'd guess Hornqvist stays with Crosby (I think he got injured recently, so when he returns) as hthey've had some chemistry and Perron would play on the 2nd. They may make changes though, so we'll see what happens.

...Why would Buffalo trade any of those guys to move up one spot? They already have Girgensons and Reinhart as future top-6 centers. Eichel fits the Sabres' needs quite well.

Yeah, I don't see them doing much to move up just to get McDavid over Eichel, but the idea of Edmonton trading down isn't that crazy. Well, it wouldn't be crazy if the Edmonton front office had any idea how to really improve their team, but still.

Perron definitely has more value than any Canuck whose names keep coming up as trade bait though.

Really? Based on what? Three 20 goal seasons? We've a few guys who've done that. Cap? We've a few under friendly cap hits. The only difference is the NTC or modified NTC and some age

Perrons best season to date is 57 points over 78 games and is good for a 40 point average. At a $3.8 million cap through next year

By direct comparison

Hansens best season to date is 39 points and is an average of 30+ points over a full season at $2.5 million per year

Higgins best season to date is 53 points and is an average of 40 points per year at $2.5 million

Burrows best season is 67 points and is better than 40 points per year currently $ $4.5 million

Bieksa's best season is 44 points and is an average of near 30 points per season at $4.6 million

Hamhuis best season is 38 points and is good for 30 points per season at $4.5 million

When we take away the obvious Kassian etc (who is really the only rumoured Canuck to be on the block at the moment) these guys are all comparable to or better than Perron in regards to two way play some at better cap hits. It's all value for value really and knowing that Perron just net THAT kind of price from a cup contender.

Hard to say these guys wouldn't net something close

Well as their is no guarantee Buffalo is going to get the 2nd overall pick or the Oilers the 1st overall I am sure you can see where I said (Buffalo) as an example only it is all hypothetical.

But a GOOD GM would seriously consider doing just that. netting a top prospect AND a comparable pick within the range they need just to move down a spot or two. Much like the Oilers should have done at least twice before in the last 6 years.

With the newer draft rules one can put Buffalo, Arizona, CBJ, Carolina, Ottawa, NJ, PHI, Colorado and even Minni into that top 3 area. And a lot of them would seriously consider that 1 or 2 spot jump at the cost of a prospect.

Edm could be in a brilliant position to clear out some of the stink of failure and mediocrity as well as cap space by doing just that, trading down and then again trading one of their big 4 + to get into the top 10 or better again. But...it's Edm and we all know how they work. Today not with standing

Yeah, I don't see them doing much to move up just to get McDavid over Eichel, but the idea of Edmonton trading down isn't that crazy. Well, it wouldn't be crazy if the Edmonton front office had any idea how to really improve their team, but still.

Edmonton would have to be bat-s*** crazy to trade down from #1. McDavid as the "next one"? Talk about instant hope in the fanbase. Going forward, build around him and Hall.

They should be moving guys like Eberle and Yakupov, the latter before he's worthless. If I were them, I'd try to be making a deal with New Jersey to get one of their talented young D-men. Yakupov (plus pick?) for Larsson?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/perron-on-leaving-edmonton-after-a-few-years-you-just-want-to-win/

Perron on leaving Edmonton: "After a few years, you just want to win"

The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired David Perron from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for a 2015 first-round pick and Rob Klinkhammer. Regardless of whether you feel Pittsburgh or Edmonton got the better end of that deal, it's hard not to see Perron as the big winner in all of this.

He's going from one of, if not the worst team in the league to a club that has the potential to win the Stanley Cup. Perron said it's tough to leave any situation once you’re emotionally invested, but he’s not shy about admitting that this is an exciting turn of events for him.

"Once (the losses) start piling on, it's hard to get out of it," Perron said. He later added, "I think the first few years you're in the league, you're just happy to be in (it) … but after a few years you just want to win and obviously it's not going to happen this year in Edmonton. It’s nice to get that kind of opportunity in Pittsburgh."

When asked if he was a pretty happy guy overall, he didn't hesitate before saying, "For sure."

He did offer an olive branch to the Oilers by saying that they’ll bounce back "eventually" and be a top team.

I can imagine all the players on the Oilers feel this way + more.

Archived