The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades David Perron to PIT for 1st round pick

Edmonton would have to be bat-s*** crazy to trade down from #1. McDavid as the "next one"? Talk about instant hope in the fanbase. Going forward, build around him and Hall.

They should be moving guys like Eberle and Yakupov, the latter before he's worthless. If I were them, I'd try to be making a deal with New Jersey to get one of their talented young D-men. Yakupov (plus pick?) for Larsson?

If would have to be a pretty high pick for NJ to even consider letting Larsson go for Yak...

Iv been saying Perron to Pittsburgh for a while now. It makes sense but this trade is bad for Edmonton. More prospects for a team that needs vets to win now? Why not trade for a player that can contribute now or next year. Kilnkhammer is a 4th liner. Oilers will still suck for a long time.

Imagine of this is the first time the team receiving the 14th pick gets the first. That would be the blooper of the season for the oiler fans.

We could still finish just outside of the top 10.

Imagine the Nucks just missing the playoffs and drafting MacDavid over the Oilers.

The crying would echo through the ages

Imagine of this is the first time the team receiving the 14th pick gets the first. That would be the blooper of the season for the oiler fans.

The odds are strong, right now, that the Oilers won't pick 1st overall despite how bad they are. At best it will be a 3-1 shot against unless they get another lottery pick.

Looking at the standings now I would say that they'll likely pick 3rd, which would still be a fantastic pick but not the mulligan the fans want.

We could still finish just outside of the top 10.

Imagine the Nucks just missing the playoffs and drafting MacDavid over the Oilers.

The crying would echo through the ages

There might be a few teams in the East that we could do a deal with to get their 1st (NYR, Bos, Fla) and that might yield a lottery pick.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Probability…. no… but ...you're saying there's a chance!

I don't even get this move. Unless it's part of a bigger deal, it's retarded. They don't need more picks and prospects if they want to improve this current team. They need an actual roster that can play. Perron was one of their best players and he's a helluva lot better if you give him some others to play with. He doesn't care anymore though; he just went from worst to first.

Just to clarify

Perron got a 1st round pick.

Think on that everyone when the trade talks start heating up over the next 60 days and people are still claiming we have worthless players in regards to trade value.

Seriously shocked Edm got that value for Perron.

Well, any talk of us moving Kassian should now see a 1st coming back our way.

Guest Dasein

Really? Based on what? Three 20 goal seasons? We've a few guys who've done that. Cap? We've a few under friendly cap hits. The only difference is the NTC or modified NTC and some age

Perrons best season to date is 57 points over 78 games and is good for a 40 point average. At a $3.8 million cap through next year

By direct comparison

Hansens best season to date is 39 points and is an average of 30+ points over a full season at $2.5 million per year

Higgins best season to date is 53 points and is an average of 40 points per year at $2.5 million

Burrows best season is 67 points and is better than 40 points per year currently $ $4.5 million

Bieksa's best season is 44 points and is an average of near 30 points per season at $4.6 million

Hamhuis best season is 38 points and is good for 30 points per season at $4.5 million

When we take away the obvious Kassian etc (who is really the only rumoured Canuck to be on the block at the moment) these guys are all comparable to or better than Perron in regards to two way play some at better cap hits. It's all value for value really and knowing that Perron just net THAT kind of price from a cup contender.

Hard to say these guys wouldn't net something close

So which one of these five keep popping up as trade bait?

I haven't seen any trade rumours about Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa or Hamhuis recently.

I just see five names of players you seem to want to trade.

Oh and Perron is just 26 - Hansen 28, Higgins 31, Burrows 33, Bieksa 33 and Hamhuis 32.

I can't believe Edmonton got a 2015 1st rounder.

Agreed, this doesn't make them better now it continues the endless rebuild. But strictly on value, Edmonton won this trade even without Klink coming with the first

I don't even get this move. Unless it's part of a bigger deal, it's retarded. They don't need more picks and prospects if they want to improve this current team. They need an actual roster that can play. Perron was one of their best players and he's a helluva lot better if you give him some others to play with. He doesn't care anymore though; he just went from worst to first.

I think you answered your own question, it must be part of a bigger plan. But who knows, it is the oilers. Imagine they made the trade for there 1st (yakupov) for montreals first (galyenchuk sp) and PK Subban. Not trading that pick is exactly where the rebuild went wrong. IMO of course.

Archived