The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades David Perron to PIT for 1st round pick

You know what gets me about this thread… and threads like this...

You have to know that we have MANY oilers fans on these boards either posing as Canuck fans or trolling us until they get banned.

What we don't have these days are legitimate, out of the closet, Oilers fans around these parts willing to discuss the merit of the team's moves and the thoughts of the fan base regarding them. Greene02 used to add good insight but I can't remember seeing him around much anymore.

That's why, whether you agree or disagree with their opinions, you have to like posters like Patrick Kane, Caboose, CALGARY!, Staal2Staal, PredsFanInLA, SabreFan1, and other that rep their team on this opposing teams message board.

Wherefore art thou Oilers fans?!?

Why would they claim Roy then ship out Perron? If you're going to tank then tank.

I guess it sorta might save Leon's confidence.

Also not a bad return. This offseason I would seriously consider moving that pick and other youth assets for roster players with size. A 50/50 shot at a 3rd liner in 2 to 3 doesn't seem that appealing from their current position. Unfortunately they aren't Florida so there is no beach for any vets with rings/extensive experience to retire on. Tough to acquire talent through trade when they all have NTCs too.

I think you answered your own question, it must be part of a bigger plan. But who knows, it is the oilers. Imagine they made the trade for there 1st (yakupov) for montreals first (galyenchuk sp) and PK Subban. Not trading that pick is exactly where the rebuild went wrong. IMO of course.

That is a great point...but it's pretty doubtful Montreal still deals Subban for that. Subbans don't grow on trees.... Now that I say that, someone is going to make a Subban tree aren't they?

So which one of these five keep popping up as trade bait?

I haven't seen any trade rumours about Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa or Hamhuis recently.

I just see five names of players you seem to want to trade.

Oh and Perron is just 26 - Hansen 28, Higgins 31, Burrows 33, Bieksa 33 and Hamhuis 32.

Exactly this.

So which one of these five keep popping up as trade bait?

I haven't seen any trade rumours about Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa or Hamhuis recently.

I just see five names of players you seem to want to trade.

Oh and Perron is just 26 - Hansen 28, Higgins 31, Burrows 33, Bieksa 33 and Hamhuis 32

If you read the whole post my man you'd have seen where I pointed out Kassian was the only one currently brought up in trade rumours. I also point out that age and NTC are the main differences between them as cap hits are/were better or comparable.

I actually don't want to trade any of these players but if we HAD to trade players to make room these are the players I'd choose to move for beneficial or maximum return as stand a lone pieces or as packages.

But then you'd have had to read the whole post to have caught that Das and knowing you're usually quite attentive to what you write and post; it lets me know you didn't read it all.

Again, If Perron can garner that kind of return I posted these names as players who could garner comparable returns as some seem to think that they're basically worthless in all aspects of the game including trade talks yet never seem to take in to account what the market will bear for players of their caliber and quality.

If would have to be a pretty high pick for NJ to even consider letting Larsson go for Yak...

Larsson has been a healthy scratch for quite a few games (in addition to missing time with the mumps). He's been disappointing. Whereas Severson and Gelinas are thriving. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jersey cut their losses with Larsson to get younger up front.

As bad as Yakupov has been lately, he's accomplished far more in the league than Larsson. But there would probably have to be a pretty high conditional pick from Edmonton based on whether NJ could re-sign him.

If Perron could get a 1st, the Oilers can easily still get good value for Yakupov.

To NJ : Yakupov + Justin Schultz

To Edmonton: Larson + 1st

Not sure if Edmonton is overpaying, but IMO it's a pretty fair deal. Larson and Yakupov both struggling in there situations, and a change could do wonders for both players. Devils get a potential top line player, and Edmonton gets a potential top pairing D man which both teams need desperately.

Another good move would be trying to get Griffen Reinhert package for Yakupov.

Okoposo - JT - Kulemin

Clutterbuck - Strome - Yakupov would be nice

Turning Perron into a 1st (albeit a late one) is a solid move. For the Oilers sake I hope they have a new crew making that selection. Oilers and Flames both have a good group of young forwards coming up. Hopefully GMJB can continue to stockpile high picks and/or young talent. Canucks need to keep looking to build. They cant win when it really matters with the team as its comprised IMO.

Guest Dasein

If you read the whole post my man you'd have seen where I pointed out Kassian was the only one currently brought up in trade rumours. I also point out that age and NTC are the main differences between them as cap hits are/were better or comparable.

I actually don't want to trade any of these players but if we HAD to trade players to make room these are the players I'd choose to move for beneficial or maximum return as stand a lone pieces or as packages.

But then you'd have had to read the whole post to have caught that Das and knowing you're usually quite attentive to what you write and post; it lets me know you didn't read it all.

And then of course you'd have to expect to have a wheedling and whinging sycophant like RS hanging off your every word as that bit of mucus discharge has sadly never had an original thought in his head but hangs off of the posts of people who have a clue what's going on.

Again, If Perron can garner that kind of return I posted these names as players who could garner comparable returns as some seem to think that they're basically worthless in all aspects of the game including trade talks yet never seem to take in to account what the market will bear for players of their caliber and quality.

Then I guess you should heed your own advice - was it so hard to read that one sentence OP? I was merely pointing out the disconnect between your response and the OP you were responding to.

Then I guess you should heed your own advice - was it so hard to read that one sentence OP? I was merely pointing out the disconnect between your response and the OP you were responding to.

Fair enough,

But it still stands true as I qualified my post.

A lot of people claim that we nobody on our roster worth anything at all yet never count what GMs will pay. Perron, Gaustad, Ott and more got 1st round picks in so called "deep drafts"

To say we don't have anyone worth trading that would net a comparable package as a stand alone or as a package is crazy talk because it is only what the market will bear. And apparently the market for players to contending teams is lucrative

Guest Dasein

Fair enough,

But it still stands true as I qualified my post.

A lot of people claim that we nobody on our roster worth anything at all yet never count what GMs will pay. Perron, Gaustad, Ott and more got 1st round picks in so called "deep drafts"

To say we don't have anyone worth trading that would net a comparable package as a stand alone or as a package is crazy talk because it is only what the market will bear. And apparently the market for players to contending teams is lucrative

Yeah but obviously everyone has something worth trading... We're not a seller though, so it just seems unrealistic to trade top 4 defensemen and top 9 forwards for draft picks - maybe a hockey trade where it's player for player.

Who do you think we could realistically trade within season? Or even during the offseason? Just curious.

And that Gaustad trade was insane - that was really bad. Probably the worst valuation. BUF used that pick to trade up and draft Girgensons.. Ott was in a package with Miller so you can't really say he got BUF a 1st rounder.

Yeah but obviously everyone has something worth trading... We're not a seller though, so it just seems unrealistic to trade top 4 defensemen and top 9 forwards for draft picks - maybe a hockey trade where it's player for player.

Who do you think we could realistically trade within season? Or even during the offseason? Just curious.

And that Gaustad trade was insane - that was really bad. Probably the worst valuation. BUF used that pick to trade up and draft Girgensons.. Ott was in a package with Miller so you can't really say he got BUF a 1st rounder.

I still think a slide precipitates us moving from settling to selling in a hurry. I am absolutely unconvinced we are a playoff team. Miller to inconsistent, defense to porous even with a healthy hamhuis and our 5v5 numbers are among the worst of all the current playoff teams. Add in a lack of scoring on all counts from the top 6 on a regular basis and I really don't see us being buyers let alone doing nothing.

As for who I see potentially on the move, it's the same list I wrote down previously. Higgins and hansen would be sure fire pick ups for many playoff bound teams. I see Hamhuis as being more likely to be traded than bieksa off the blue line as Hamhuis has already played elsewhere yet Bieksa will die in a Nucks uni. barring that I see Tanev possibly pricing himself out of vancouver and Weber or Stanton being good depth purchases for a few teams.

As for Matthias and Richardson I pencil them in simply because they are upcoming UFAs and it is hard to say they'd either be signed again or re-signed. I'd love to hold on to Matthias BUT if he is playing his stock to an all time high we'd be crazy not to explore possible returns.

The white buffalo is Burrows who i feel could and should be moved simply based on his cap hit but we could also reap the benefits of having him here and his work ethic rubbing off on our upcoming youth because the guy absolutely leaves it all on the ice.

Really for selling there's only 4-5 sure fire names that we could/would/should move but as to whether or not Benning and Linden live up to their words is not my call nor in my ball park. I am still not convinced we're a playoff team and if this is to be the final year of our "retool" so be it.

I was also thinking by the by of the initial Ott trade that net Roy and Eakins for Dallas. Of which Roy was the far better player and Eakin the unknown but Eakin is turning out better and better as the years go by, so that is my mistake for saying a 1st.

But again, it is what the market will bear and the top 10 teams will be very attentive to what's available while the bubble teams will of course be looking to shore up at every possibility. It just takes 1 single knee jerk move by a GM to ensure that over payment, and we have the vets teams look for at this time of year to cement those playoff hopes

*Edit** I wouldn't even consider an off-season trade which would mean a far less favourable market. Sell high always

Archived