The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades David Perron to PIT for 1st round pick

I always respect Pitt for making trades and trying to get better / go for it.

they've been doing this for years and typically they get the better end of the deal.

I just wish Vokoun was there to back up MAF in case he lays an egg.

Having said that, Pitt would be smart to pick up Brodeur, if / when he goes on waivers.

Really? Based on what? Three 20 goal seasons? We've a few guys who've done that. Cap? We've a few under friendly cap hits. The only difference is the NTC or modified NTC and some age

Perrons best season to date is 57 points over 78 games and is good for a 40 point average. At a $3.8 million cap through next year

By direct comparison

Hansens best season to date is 39 points and is an average of 30+ points over a full season at $2.5 million per year

Higgins best season to date is 53 points and is an average of 40 points per year at $2.5 million

Burrows best season is 67 points and is better than 40 points per year currently $ $4.5 million

Bieksa's best season is 44 points and is an average of near 30 points per season at $4.6 million

Hamhuis best season is 38 points and is good for 30 points per season at $4.5 million

When we take away the obvious Kassian etc (who is really the only rumoured Canuck to be on the block at the moment) these guys are all comparable to or better than Perron in regards to two way play some at better cap hits. It's all value for value really and knowing that Perron just net THAT kind of price from a cup contender.

Hard to say these guys wouldn't net something close

Lol......none of those guys are better than Perron at this point other than maybe Hamhuis. And they are a lot older with no upside. Teams dont pay that much for 3rd/4th line calibre scoring consistency (Hansen, Higgins, Burrows) and defensemen who cant defend or put up points anymore (Bieksa).

Higgins would be the most valuable out of those guys based on his cap hit and being a better option for a second line but on a cup calibre team he would be a third liner.

Their career average does not matter. Their trajectory in terms of their scoring would be a far more useful measuring stick.

Heatley just passed through waivers. He scored a ton of goals back in the day too.

Perron is jumping up and down right now.

I have a feeling that an organization, staff and locker room with the kinda guys Pittsburgh has, can do wonders to his career. Somehow I believe Pittsburgh won this trade no matter how you look at it.

This is a really dumb trade for the Oilers. Their team sucks, so they trade one of a few players that's not a problem for a late first round pick that likely never ends up as good a player, plus a fourth liner. The Oilers need players that can play now not in 5 years from now. The only real upside for the Oilers on this trade is making sure they get at least one of McDavid or Eichel. The whole management team there has to go. There's dozens of Junior teams that are run better.

Interesting if TBay or Mtl edge out the Pens(certainly possible with their plethora of injuries). Then Pitt has to face 1 of them, in the first round..end of the day, Edm COULD get a # early 20ish overall pick, which spells a worthy fishin' trip.

Especially considering this all stems from selling(the bottoming-stock) MPS, does it not?

It's like they all say: even a broken nut finds two squirrels a day...

This is a really dumb trade for the Oilers. Their team sucks, so they trade one of a few players that's not a problem for a late first round pick that likely never ends up as good a player, plus a fourth liner. The Oilers need players that can play now not in 5 years from now. The only real upside for the Oilers on this trade is making sure they get at least one of McDavid or Eichel. The whole management team there has to go. There's dozens of Junior teams that are run better.

His days in Edm were numbered going back weeks ago when he questioned the desire/self-respect of the entitled ones, er I mean the core of the team. I mean really, how dare you challenge the core that a useless management put together? Just for that, we'll ship your trouble-making a$$ to a first place team in the east where no one will notice you;)

Good trade for the Oilers. Very fair value.

I think it'll pay off for the penguins too, but they may have over paid.

Just hope Edmonton doesn't win the draft lottery. I'd rather see mcdavid go to an eastern team.

Good trade for the Oilers. Very fair value.

I think it'll pay off for the penguins too, but they may have over paid.

Just hope Edmonton doesn't win the draft lottery. I'd rather see mcdavid go to an eastern team.

If Edm gets McJesus im hoping he'll turn out to be a bust. But if he's taken by other team then I wouldn't mind just not Edmonton.

If Edmonton doesn't turn around and deal that 1st or other futures to bring in something for the present, I simply can't see how they try to sell this dumbass move to their fanbase. They really have their work cut out to vindicate this move.

Yup. Maybe they had to move Perron, but they can't keep dealing in futures if they want to ever do anything at the NHL level. A stacked prospect pool and young talent will only keep fans interested for so long (assuming they haven't already mostly lost interest).

Agree with you - the optics of this are just disgusting.

MacTavish at the WJC watching Canada vs USA as this deal is being cut, interviewing regarding which guy they're looking to take, McDavid or Eichel.

Planning to finish in the bottom two - is inexcusable imo - and to be so daft as to acknowledge/display the fact - while simultaneously dumping a top 6 for a late pick.

The NHL should get it's act together and institute a limit to the frequency with which a team can pick in the #1, #2, #3 spots in the draft. Subsidizing incompetence should have it's limits.

One of these players going to Edmonton just wreaks of overkill - and this latest deal has TANK written all over it. Edmonton is way beyond the point of justifying what they are doing here - they need to be spending futures as opposed to banking them, in order to improve their pathetic hockey team in the present. At the very least they should have dealt Perron in a hockey deal, to get a proven roster player that is a better fit, or brings a skillset they need to add. Had very little respect for that franchise before this move - but this takes it to another level - dumping him for a late pick is an embarrassment to an already embarrassing franchise. I hope they spend another half decade in the cellar.

Would seem that the circumstances were that either Perron requested a trade or they didn't like what he said to the media. Judging by their management, it was likely the former. Perron is one of the few players that is the type of player they need more of, not less.

One of these players going to Edmonton just wreaks of overkill - and this latest deal TANK written all over it. Edmonton is way beyong the point of justifying what they are doing here - they need to be spending futures as opposed to banking them, in order to improve their pathetic hockey team in the present. At the very least they should have dealt Perron in a hockey deal, to get a proven roster player that is a better fit, or brings a skillset they need to add. Had very little respect for that franchise before this move - but this takes it to another level - dumping him for a late pick is an embarrassment to an already embarrassing franchise. I hope they spend another half decade in the cellar.

Indeed, how does this improve their team? It obviously doesn't and won't for at least a couple years, and in the meantime makes them even worse.

So what now -- rebuilt take-2, we start over with the same strategy we failed with over the past 6 years? Will be interested to hear my die-hard Edmonton fan cousins' take later today.

They have the same amount of points except Seguin has more games played. And Seguin was dumped by the team that drafted him.

I didn't realize being traded for a 1st round d-man, 1st line winger Loui Eriksson and 2nd/3rd line speedster Reilly Smith was being dumped.

But I guess you think Kesler was dumped to Anaheim as well.

As far as the points go, Seguin started out on the 4th line on a great team. Hall has been on the 1st line since he was 18.

Seguin didn't get to the 1st line until he was traded because of Boston's depth.

Now he's outproducing Hall.

Agree with you - the optics of this are just disgusting.

MacTavish at the WJC watching Canada vs USA as this deal is being cut, interviewing regarding which guy they're looking to take, McDavid or Eichel.

Planning to finish in the bottom two - is inexcusable imo - and to be so daft as to acknowledge/display the fact - while simultaneously dumping a top 6 for a late pick.

The NHL should get it's act together and institute a limit to the frequency with which a team can pick in the #1, #2, #3 spots in the draft. Subsidizing incompetence should have it's limits.

One of these players going to Edmonton just wreaks of overkill - and this latest deal has TANK written all over it. Edmonton is way beyond the point of justifying what they are doing here - they need to be spending futures as opposed to banking them, in order to improve their pathetic hockey team in the present. At the very least they should have dealt Perron in a hockey deal, to get a proven roster player that is a better fit, or brings a skillset they need to add. Had very little respect for that franchise before this move - but this takes it to another level - dumping him for a late pick is an embarrassment to an already embarrassing franchise. I hope they spend another half decade in the cellar.

Yeah it makes no hockey sense. The Oilers are so bad at drafting too that the late first they just got probably ends up being a bust. I just don't see how you sell this to the fans. Personally is a good second line winger, he can even be a first line winger depending on the linemates. The Oilers get immediately worse from this trade. Either the old boys club is mad that he called the team out on being losers or his agent must have demanded that he be traded because otherwise it makes no sense.

Pittsburg got a a steal here too. He still has another year left and he's a 26 year old 25 goal winger. Just hitting his prime. Too bad Vancouver didn't go for him. I'd have easily given up our first and tostitos or one of our fringe guys from Utica.

Lol......none of those guys are better than Perron at this point other than maybe Hamhuis. And they are a lot older with no upside. Teams dont pay that much for 3rd/4th line calibre scoring consistency (Hansen, Higgins, Burrows) and defensemen who cant defend or put up points anymore (Bieksa).

Higgins would be the most valuable out of those guys based on his cap hit and being a better option for a second line but on a cup calibre team he would be a third liner.

Their career average does not matter. Their trajectory in terms of their scoring would be a far more useful measuring stick.

Heatley just passed through waivers. He scored a ton of goals back in the day too.

You lose credibility immediately the moment you start any conversation with lol.

Now, as per my post, had you followed through the thread you'd note that I state very clearly that people dump on our players and claim they are worthless.

Stat for stat, cap for cap I posted players who i thought could/should be moved as a counterpoint to this trade, nothing more.

People constantly saying that our players are worthless never ever take in to account the current market nor what other GMs will pay or what other GMs will react to without thinking.

I didn't realize being traded for a 1st round d-man, 1st line winger Loui Eriksson and 2nd/3rd line speedster Reilly Smith was being dumped.

But I guess you think Kesler was dumped to Anaheim as well.

As far as the points go, Seguin started out on the 4th line on a great team. Hall has been on the 1st line since he was 18.

Seguin didn't get to the 1st line until he was traded because of Boston's depth.

Now he's outproducing Hall.

All true, but misleading.

Marchand / Bergeron / Seguin was together for the better part of a year, and then half of another. And was called a second line? But it was also called amongst the best lines in hockey in 2012. Certainly the best two way line for a 6 month stretch. They scored big and played all the top match ups head to head. People forget Seguin led the Bruins in scoring, and that Bergeron was second.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20112012

How's that for a second line?

They waited, got frustrated waiting for his maturation, but he was always a sic talent. One many would have taken over Hall at any moment!

I think its fair to say the Coilers would prefer Seguin at this moment as well...

Archived