The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades David Perron to PIT for 1st round pick

A lot of people hating on the Oilers for this trade. They are doing exactly what they should. This season is hopeless, trade off your veteran assets for picks/prospects while simultaneously improving your draft rank. Meanwhile they brought in Roy for peanuts to bridge the hole.

They got a bandaid and a 1st. Good asset management. As for perron he is going to rock out on Crosbys wing. Win win.

A lot of people hating on the Oilers for this trade. They are doing exactly what they should. This season is hopeless, trade off your veteran assets for picks/prospects while simultaneously improving your draft rank. Meanwhile they brought in Roy for peanuts to bridge the hole.

They got a bandaid and a 1st. Good asset management. As for perron he is going to rock out on Crosbys wing. Win win.

I agree with this completely.

A extra 1st for Edmonton is a good thing. In my opinion they should trade that pick just before or on draft day for a veteran top 3-4 defender.

The problem here is that Perron isn't an aging veteran asset. He's a good second liner in his prime, with another year if low cap hit left. All they managed to get was a late first round pick, it's pretty unlikely that whoever they pick with that helps improve the team in the near future which is what they need. It's also pretty likely that whoever they pick never ends up being as good of a player as Perron either.

The problem here is that Perron isn't an aging veteran asset. He's a good second liner in his prime, with another year if low cap hit left. All they managed to get was a late first round pick, it's pretty unlikely that whoever they pick with that helps improve the team in the near future which is what they need. It's also pretty likely that whoever they pick never ends up being as good of a player as Perron either.

Except you're forgetting that Perron hasn't been very effective this year, not to mention his comments about the team it basically sealed a trade for Perron. As for who they draft, in my opinion they will end up trading that pick near the draft or at the draft.

Great trade for Pittsburgh. They don't need a 1st round pick and the ensuing prospect that is potentially years away from reaching the NHL (if ever) nearly as mmuch as they need a still young 25 goal scorer to play in their top 6. Klinkhammer does not make this deal any better for the Oilers or any worse for the Pens.

I agree, Pittsburgh has been looking for a Perron type for some time, very good addition and longer term as well.

the oilers will probably try to trade one or two more if smart at the draft they should for once trade the first over all pick like a Lindros deal and instantly make the team better with getting one or two more 1st rounders and keep them in the minors so for years to come will be a great team!If not then they will always be bottum feeders as managemnet doesnt seem to make right choices with young players!

Good hockey trade for both teams. Oilers get a serviceable C so they can send Drais down, as well as a 1st round pick in a deep draft. Perron is exactly what the Pens need for their cup run this year.

Besides, Perron probably asked for a trade. Wouldn't you?

Except you're forgetting that Perron hasn't been very effective this year, not to mention his comments about the team it basically sealed a trade for Perron. As for who they draft, in my opinion they will end up trading that pick near the draft or at the draft.

Perron was one of the only moderately effective oilers this season. There is every reason to believe he will fit like a glove in Pittsburgh and will be very effective.

Perron was one of the only moderately effective oilers this season. There is every reason to believe he will fit like a glove in Pittsburgh and will be very effective.

I think he will fit like a glove in Pittsburgh but in Edmonton he wasn't that Great this year, to be fair though that team is F'd up.

I just think considering the situation Edmonton is in they got a very good return for Perron. In my opinion that pick should be dealt around the draft for a veteran defender. As for Perron I have no doubt he will succeed in Pittsburgh's top 6

Agreed....Perrons a really good player,he just disappeared under the Dallas Eakins experiment..I think he will thrive in Pittsburgh..I agree that it's very unlikely the Oil get a player of Perrons ability with a very late 1st round pick.

Agreed....Perrons a really good player,he just disappeared under the Dallas Eakins experiment..I think he will thrive in Pittsburgh..I agree that it's very unlikely the Oil get a player of Perrons ability with a very late 1st round pick.

I think half the issue is that he was playing with a center that should have been in Junior. On the other side you have Yakupov, who is probably the biggest defensive liability in the league, so I'd say his stats are probably pretty skewed. Watch him tear it up on a line with Crosby now. Probably still gets 25 goals this year.

Perron has had to play with Draisaitl, who wasn't even close to ready for NHL action. And despite this, he's somehow racked up 19 points (would be 5th on Vancouver).

The only reason Perron had to be traded was that now that they have an actual NHL center to get him the puck, he might actually help them win more games.

In fact, since they picked up Roy, Oilers have points in 4 straight games (2-0-2), including a win against the Kings. At this rate, it won't be long before Derek is traded too! (I imagine the reason the Oilers traded for Roy rather than claiming him on waivers was so they'd still be able to trade him back out at the deadline.)

Perron has had to play with Draisaitl, who wasn't even close to ready for NHL action. And despite this, he's somehow racked up 19 points (would be 5th on Vancouver).

The only reason Perron had to be traded was that now that they have an actual NHL center to get him the puck, he might actually help them win more games.

In fact, since they picked up Roy, Oilers have points in 4 straight games (2-0-2), including a win against the Kings. At this rate, it won't be long before Derek is traded too! (I imagine the reason the Oilers traded for Roy rather than claiming him on waivers was so they'd still be able to trade him back out at the deadline.)

Ya I'm thinking they will hope to get a later pick for Roy at the deadline

Archived