The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks place Tom Sestito on Waivers

Well I do hope he finds a hope in the NHL, I like the guy, gotta hand it to him, he fought anybody, didnt win all the time but wasnt afraid to drop them with anyone. I like his character too. Hope to see someone snag him off waivers soon.

Sestito seems like a good guy and all, but as far as hockey ability goes all he can do is take penalties, turn over the puck, and fight the odd other goon. I'm glad Benning saw that and sought to get him out of the lineup.

Penalties Are Stupid

'Moral Victory!' Are you kidding me? Nobody wants to see goon hockey anymore. But beyond that, there seems to be this feeling in Vancouver that the refs are out to get them. False. The reason the team takes more penalties than others and appears to be fouled more often than not is because it is simply built incorrectly.

A team that has one relatively one-dimensional scoring line will find that line to be targeted every night. When push comes to shove, you're going to need that big net presence to take physical pressure off your scorers and to give them some more space. However, that big net presence shouldn't be a goon or a totally undisciplined wackjob or he'll be a total detriment to the teams' scoring efforts.

This is exactly what happened in the Canucks' upset loss against Minnesota. Bertuzzi collected mountains of penalties in that series and didn't stop doing the same silly crosschecking play over and over again in front of the net. And because they Canucks were pretty much a one-line team back then, with a weak goalie and a coach who didn't make adjustments well, that was enough to bury them.

A guy like Bertuzzi should have been corralled. But what about Burrows' biting/hair-pulling antics? And Kassian's multiple suspensions? Are these types of guys irreparable? Perhaps if the entire team was built better. What takes the pressure off of these guys to take these insane penalties is if the rest of the team is built well enough to start dictating play. The fewer guys that need protecting, the less the need for retaliation penalties. The more puck control you have, the less need there is to take penalties at all. Again, the need for 4 'do-all' centers in the lineup comes into effect.

So recently, the big Turk Sestito strode confidently into the Aquilini's office for an arranged mtg. He'd suggested they expand the "family business", with imports across border.

Man this guy had nerve. they say he'd done lotsa hard-time, & was good with a knife.

One of the hiearchy was gunned down('round Christmas) buying seasonal produce at a Farmer's Market in the Valley. Even St Paul's was now a place of danger.

Well now Sestito's meeting with Michael, in some non-descript Utica pasta joint...

Thank god management finally woke up.

This team needs more skill not more goons.

I have noticed that you were never big on Sestito the last couple of years...Anyway,I would say that when Dorsett was signed in the off season,Sestito was essentially out of a job..!

I have noticed that you were never big on Sestito the last couple of years...Anyway,I would say that when Dorsett was signed in the off season,Sestito was essentially out of a job..!

I like tough guys. But I want tough guys that can play, that's all.

I find it ridiculous when people say we need Sestito to play against the Kings. We don't.

We need guys like Nolan, King, and Clifford. Until we get guys like that on our fourth line, we're just kidding ourselves plugging in goons like Sestito.

I like tough guys. But I want tough guys that can play, that's all.

I find it ridiculous when people say we need Sestito to play against the Kings. We don't.

We need guys like Nolan, King, and Clifford. Until we get guys like that on our fourth line, we're just kidding ourselves plugging in goons like Sestito.

Is Nolan really that much better? If I recall, they never played him in the playoffs last year.

I could see EDM pick him up just to add some more toughness till the end of the season.

He wasn't the best player but he was brought here for muscle. I respect the job he did while he was here.

He is tough as nails so I wonder which Canuck he beats up the first time they meet? I'd guess Dorsett as that's the guy who made him dispensable and who he never really played with. I know they are in different weight classes but sometimes that just doesn't matter.

Archived