The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks place Tom Sestito on Waivers

Hope he clears so he can play the season with Utica and be a emergency call up in the playoffs when LA beats the shieet outta Van.

That's right. Many people here seem to think we've seen the last of Tom. If he clears waivers and goes to Utica he could be called up by Van if we run into injury trouble. Before the current contract, players passed through waivers on the way down to the farm and then again on the way back to the NHL; but not now. I think he would be a serviceable player that could fill in on the 4th line if we run into injury problems.

I like tough guys. But I want tough guys that can play, that's all.

I find it ridiculous when people say we need Sestito to play against the Kings. We don't.

We need guys like Nolan, King, and Clifford. Until we get guys like that on our fourth line, we're just kidding ourselves plugging in goons like Sestito.

If Nolan wore a blue sweater he'd be suspended monthly.

I like tough guys. But I want tough guys that can play, that's all.

I find it ridiculous when people say we need Sestito to play against the Kings. We don't.

We need guys like Nolan, King, and Clifford. Until we get guys like that on our fourth line, we're just kidding ourselves plugging in goons like Sestito.

i agree with Clifford and King, but Nolan is as much of a goon as Sestito.

Plus Sestito is one of the more skilled pure goons out there.

I don't think he'll get claimed but I seem to have a terrible track record this year predicting waiver transactions. Was sure MSP would be taken, and I think the only one that I gave any thought to that came true was Panik back in the pre-season.

Something to look forward to in the morning ... bonus christmas, will there be a Sestito under my tree in the morning, and if so will I want him to get off my lawn?

I appreciated Sestito's time in Van. Good luck to him. He didn't get much of a chance this year but that was because of injury and that Van's bottom 6 have played well. As Old News said earlier there are options in Utica that can play in his place.

Tom Sestito has skills and is not simply a goon. Decent speed and shot. I thought his biggest struggle was the speed of the NHL and his reacting to it. He seemed to fight the puck a lot. 10-14 TOI might have gotten him over this but Van's depth is passing him by.

Good luck to Tom.

Did what he thought was best. And did it hard nuts! Like him, or his play, or not, its easy to respect him!

Not that everyone agreed what he did was best...

I suppose the writing was on the wall when the coach more or less suggested (LOL, pretty directly actually) that Tom had trim up to play the game at a faster pace. And Sestito responded by saying he intended to keep doing what got him here.

I suppose the writing was on the wall when the coach more or less suggested (LOL, pretty directly actually) that Tom had trim up to play the game at a faster pace. And Sestito responded by saying he intended to keep doing what got him here.

Exactly. Here the Canucks have gone full circle. They got rid of Dale Weise because he wanted to play hockey rather than just fight, and now got rid of Sestito because he wanted to be a fighter rather than a hockey player.

Realistically, though, how could they possibly keep Sestito? They told him to slim down and that he needed to play. When he finally got in to play, he got hurt. After he got over his injury he was over the weight the Canucks wanted him to be and was sent to Utica to get into shape. He came back up and said he played a simple game and if they didn't like it he'd need to play somewhere else.

I'm amazed he ever got into another Canucks game. I guess they wanted to try to get something in trade, but really, who is going to trade for a guy who not only can't pull a regular shift but essentially tells management he's a goon and won't play hockey no matter how badly they want him to.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/551424350382227456

@DarrenDreger T.Sestito & M.Sislo clear waivers.

Now that he has cleared waivers he is much more tradeable.

Cleared Waiver rule

IF A PLAYER CLEARS:

If a player clears, he can be sent to the minors, kept on the NHL roster or traded to another team.

A player who clears waivers does not require waivers again until they’ve spent 30 cumulative days on an NHL roster or played in 10 NHL games since they last cleared waivers. They can be recalled to the NHL and reassigned an unlimited amount of times as long as they don’t meet those requirements. Even if they’ve started accruing NHL days or NHL games, clearing waivers “re-sets the clock” as far as their waiver eligibility goes.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger · 13m13 minutes ago

Dal claims D.Schlemko from Arizona.

Now that he has cleared waivers he is much more tradeable.

Cleared Waiver rule

IF A PLAYER CLEARS:

If a player clears, he can be sent to the minors, kept on the NHL roster or traded to another team.

A player who clears waivers does not require waivers again until theyve spent 30 cumulative days on an NHL roster or played in 10 NHL games since they last cleared waivers. They can be recalled to the NHL and reassigned an unlimited amount of times as long as they dont meet those requirements. Even if theyve started accruing NHL days or NHL games, clearing waivers re-sets the clock as far as their waiver eligibility goes.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger · 13m13 minutes ago

Dal claims D.Schlemko from Arizona.

Thanks for sharing. Sigh of relief... I love Tito. I've said it many times, this guys offensive ability is extremely underrated.

As for shlemko... You would think he would help us on defence. Do you think JB placed a claim for him at all? Either way Dallas was way ahead of us on waivers.

Thanks for sharing. Sigh of relief... I love Tito. I've said it many times, this guys offensive ability is extremely underrated.

As for shlemko... You would think he would help us on defence. Do you think JB placed a claim for him at all? Either way Dallas was way ahead of us on waivers.

"Offensive ability is extremely underrated"

Come on now, that's funny.

I don't have much of an issue with Tom, I mean he comes pretty much as advertised. A big body, pretty decent skater, but rather mediocre at everything else.

He did show flashes of offence that had me going "Who dangled that!?", but it was so few and far between that I didn't expect it all the time. He might be able to beef up someones 3rd line, or stand in front of the net on a powerplay, but his point tallying days are long behind him. Junior long.

Archived