The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks place Tom Sestito on Waivers

Sestito will get a lot more playing minutes in Utica. Hopefully he shines there and prove that he isn't just a guy who chucks the knuckles

I actually wonder how much they'll play him in Utica. Maybe they'll give him lots of playing time, but one wonders for what purpose.

Is he someone they want to develop, or just someone they want to get rid of? Is there reason to play him ahead of prospects?

If he's just someone to get rid of, is he better than the non-prospects presently getting playing time in Utica? That isn't a rhetorical question, I really don't know.

Is Utica being beaten up so that they need an enforcer?

Will he be a good guy in the locker room? I'm not asking if his teammates will like him-typically he's been described as liked by his teammates. My concern is that he's someone that's challenged his team on his playing style. Do they want that around their minor league development locker room?

This might be a strange thought, but what about sending him to the ECHL, at least at first?

-if he's still of the view that he knows how to play better than the coaches and management know, then he's not a good guy to have giving ideas to the prospects and sending him to the ECHL keeps him away from the best of them

-sending him to the ECHL might impress upon him the seriousness of his predicament if he hasn't realized yet that he could be out of hockey next season if something doesn't change

-is his hockey game too good for the ECHL? I don't know the answer to that one. He's pretty horrible in the NHL and apparently hasn't realized it. His line in the 3 games with Utica earlier were 3 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, no penalty minutes and +/- 0. Was he as invisible as that suggests? He scored about 0.6 ppg in the AHL in 2010-2011.

The sad thing is, Sestito does have some hockey ability. If he put his mind to it, he might have gotten-indeed, still maybe could get- to be the level of playing a regular 4th line shift in the NHL, given some allowances for his willingness to play physically.

Posted this a couple weeks ago in a different thread; copied and re-posted here (partly as "I said so" - I know) so I wouldn't have to retype it:

Posted by Goal:thecup on 19 December 2014 - 12:59 PM in Trades, Rumours, Signings

Tommy's not driving the bus.

WD is trying to get the most out of everyone, not to keep everyone happy.

When Kass comes back, someone has to move, and Tom fits the "new NHL" least of all roster players.

I don't think Sestito has much trade value and I would like to hang onto him for old-fashioned toughness and as a possible call-up if we are getting abused that way.

So it is probably best to put Tommy on waivers, if he clears he will fit in well in Utica; if not, he gets to play in the NHL and another try to prove he belongs.

Hate to come to these conclusions because I really like Sestito and he really stood up for the team (remember the return to Philly game?).

Maybe he can be more of a hometown (Rome, NY) star in Utica, finish his career out close to home and be ready for a call up if the NHL game reverts to more fighting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got him free off waivers so he did his job and time to move on.Don't know why so many don't like the guy he was paid to fight !

He was a pure goon, loved by Torts. Even when he fought, I didn't feel any intensity. He was not an energy player. Most importantly, he couldn't play hockey. Terrible skating, no defensive prowess and no chemistry with linemates. Derek Dorsett has changed our fourth line from being one of the worst in the league to one of the best. Can skate, can pass, can kill penalties, can make teammates better. And... unlike Sestito he can actually win fights.

I know Sestito was a guy we picked off waivers. I just think we should never have claimed him. Either trade or sign a tough player who can contribute, and that's what Benning did.

Just remember boys and girls.

Tom Sestito has gotten more ice time with the twins over the last 3 seasons than Kassian has.

criminal really

Not really surprising. I mean if Kassian plays with the Sedins who will actually shoot the puck? Kassian is more of a playmaker and he doesn't really go to the net hard or use his size to his advantage that way. It's pretty much a given that Vrbata is a better choice on that line.

Not really surprising. I mean if Kassian plays with the Sedins who will actually shoot the puck? Kassian is more of a playmaker and he doesn't really go to the net hard or use his size to his advantage that way. It's pretty much a given that Vrbata is a better choice on that line.

Yup, finally someone realizes this.

Kassian is not a sniper/goal-scorer, which is what the Sedins need on their line, not another playmaker. Kassian is not a PWF, he doesn't even do power moves to the net (Matthias blows him outta the water in this department). He's a playmaking, big RW imo, which isn't what the Sedins need.

Sedins need someone to shoot the puck, plain and simple, Kassian doesn't really provide that. Daniel is not a shooter anymore, he's a set-up man along side Henrik. They need a sniper, not a playmaker, unless you guys are down to watch them cycle EVEN more without shooting? Hell, even right now i feel Henrik/Daniel pass way too much (as in Daniel/Henrik deciding to pass instead of shooting).

If he's not a good fit in Utica he may get loaned to Kalamanzoo and guard our lower level prospects.

I really doubt he drops further than the AHL. He's certainly a good enough player for that, even if he isn't in every game.

Archived