The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-DAL

Dallas has some amazing prospects. One of them is Brett Ritchie. He is also a PWF who has a higher ceiling than Kassian. He's 21 years old, he's younger and is tough and big like Kassian. He has a knack for goals and he's also doing well in the AHL. Willie D coached him during his tenure with the Texas Stars so they know each other a lot. I just think Dallas is a better fit for Kassian. With all the trade rumors, and being benched, he's just not getting welcomed here anymore. He can still fetch us a lot.I just think Kassian needs a new change of scenery. I think this would be a good trade for us on the TRADE DEADLINE.

DAL: Zack Kassian, 2015 6th round pick, Anton Cederholm, and Darren Archibald.

VAN: Brett Ritchie, Antoine Roussel.

Why DAL does this?

They get 2 PWF. One has potential to become a bonafide top 6 player while the other has potential to become a great 3rd line checker that can kill penalties, much like Bryan Bickell, or a Kyle Clifford. They get this year's 6th round pick and they get a d prospect that has a 50/50 chance of making it to the NHL. He's a good stay at home d-man that has potential to become a Matt Greene.

Why does VAN do this?

We get a younger PWF that has lots of potential. A future line up of:

Virtanen/McCann/Ritchie

Shinkaruk/Horvat/Jensen

could be a very nice line. Both lines have grit, toughness and speed. And Ritchie would be 'up and coming' so he can very well join the next wave of a new core. Roussel is also just 25 and he is a really good, hard-nosed, "always trying to get under your skin" type of player. He would be great on our 3rd line. A Roussel/Richardson/Matthais line would be a pretty good line. He can also kill penalties and can fight. We can create our own identity of a skill, tough, fast, "getting under your skin" type of identity.(I know, kinda far-fetched.

What are your ideas about this trade?

EDIT: PS: I would have added Matthias to that DAL trade and take away Archibald but realistically, they wouldn't want a player that is going to be a UFA at the end of the year if they aren't 100% he'll stay. If Dallas is in the hunt for the playoffs, then Matthais could definitely tighten up their bottom 6.

not cederhome...he is the kind of d-man our team needs....big stay at home physical d-man....i read that dallas also needs a back up goalie...

We 'kinda' have that already with Pedan, Tryamkin, Stanton, and Bieksa for a few good years. And other than Bieksa, I am not open to trading them.

not cederhome...he is the kind of d-man our team needs....big stay at home physical d-man....i read that dallas also needs a back up goalie...

Pedan and Tryamkin make Cederholm expendable.

Dallas needs defense, not a back up goalie. They have Lindback.

In regards to OP, we don't really need Roussel. And I can't agree with your idea to trade a proven NHL pwf for a rookie pwf of the same size. Seems like a lateral movement for us.

Pedan and Tryamkin make Cederholm expendable.

Dallas needs defense, not a back up goalie. They have Lindback.

In regards to OP, we don't really need Roussel. And I can't agree with your idea to trade a proven NHL pwf for a rookie pwf of the same size. Seems like a lateral movement for us.

Sure is inconsistent for a 'proven nhler pwf'. :P

I just want a Kassian type player(potentially better and consistent) that is apart of the new regime ahead of us after the Sedins. As much as I like Kassian, I just don't think he'll fit in our new core once the Sedins go.

Dallas is already short on D. Most of their d core is 25>.

And that's why I don't want to go after there d-man. Realistically if we want any of there d-man that is young they'd want a Tanev back. And I don't want to give a Tanev. And there d is pretty bad so if you want a d-man look for another team that is stacked at that position and/or draft one. :)

Sure is inconsistent for a 'proven nhler pwf'. :P

I just want a Kassian type player(potentially better and consistent) that is apart of the new regime ahead of us after the Sedins. As much as I like Kassian, I just don't think he'll fit in our new core once the Sedins go.

Ritchie doesn't get full time NHL minutes. Kassian does when he's healthy. Regardless of anything else, Kassian is more proven. Ritchie has yet to show his worth in the NHL. I'm sure he'll be a great player, but not for us.

Ritchie is a huge bust. LOL. He's in Kassian's position but basically busted, has had his chances and flat out sucks. Dallas has already written him off. At least Kassian has shown positive signs and can be helpful. Kassian alone is >>>> Ritchie.

Neverminddddd.....mistaken Ritchie for Scott Glennie for whatever reason. Ritchie is gud, Glennie on the other hand sucks.

Ritchie is a huge bust. LOL. He's in Kassian's position but basically busted, has had his chances and flat out sucks. Dallas has already written him off. At least Kassian has shown positive signs and can be helpful. Kassian alone is >>>> Ritchie.

Ritchie who turned 21 in July is a huge bust. And yet Kassian who turns 24 in a couple of weeks and is a healthy scratch is a PWF in the making :lol:

Neverminddddd.....mistaken Ritchie for Scott Glennie for whatever reason. Ritchie is gud, Glennie on the other hand sucks.

At first I was like, what are you on....

But we all make mistakes right? :)

Kassian is a far better player than Ritchie.

Roussel is not only redundant as long as the Canucks have Burrows, but tends to cross the line.

And giving up Cederholm when the blue line is already undersized going forward is a bad idea. He's insanely strong for his age as well.

Dallas has some amazing prospects. One of them is Brett Ritchie. He is also a PWF who has a higher ceiling than Kassian. He's 21 years old, he's younger and is tough and big like Kassian. He has a knack for goals and he's also doing well in the AHL. ...

DAL: Zack Kassian, 2015 6th round pick, Anton Cederholm, and Darren Archibald.

VAN: Brett Ritchie, Antoine Roussel.

1. Can you say why you think Ritchie has a higher ceiling than Kassian? I can't remember seeing Ritchie play so am only able to go by stats, but I see nothing in his stats to indicate he's got higher potential than Kass. Drafted lower than Kassian. Scored about the same ppg in Jr, with considerably fewer PIM which could be good or bad. Pretty clearly not a fighter from his penalty totals both in junior and minor pro. Scoring as a minor league pro not much different from Kassian's, though Kassian spent less time in the minors.

The Defending Big D blog did a review of some Stars prospects in March. For Ritchie they listed pros and cons as follows:

Pros: Hard, quick shot and high-volume shooter. Good size and decent two-way ability.

Cons: Not a playmaker, disappears at times when the puck isn't on his stick and is suffering a bit with his shot accuracy (8.4 pct on 178(!) shots on net).

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2014/3/18/5517832/texas-stars-scouting-report-curtis-mckenzie-patrik-nemeth-live-up-to

The phrase "disappears at times when the puck isn't on his stick" sounds a lot like complaints that have been made about Kassian.

2. Notwithstanding those doubts, with Roussel included I'd have to say the proposal as a whole makes sense for the Canucks.

I"m not so sure it makes sense for the Stars. Those spare parts (Archibald, Cederholm, 6th round pick) aren't worth much of anything in trade.

edited to fix numbering error (no #1 as originally posted, just a #2)

Archived