The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Dallas claims David Schlemko from Arizona

Burlinbert

Feeling less bad about not picking him up, and it's good that we stick with who we have instead of seeing him as a savior (which CDC normally does with most new guys) when he's really a depth guy. If he was an elite-level skater then sure, but bad decisions and not being physical may mean that he can't handle the top guys if we need him to.

Dude, if he was meeting your expectations, then why would he ever be placed on waivers. You aren't going to see doughty on waivers if those are your expectations of players that are on waivers.

2 months ago called. It left a message... Benning and Willie passed on schlemko already.

But now they are "all over his skill set" right?

His former coach would be.

In what hockey world do you not see that?

Also,just because the team has a full roster on their big club and farm does not mean they were not interested in him.

Just why do you think Nill picked up Schlemko?

He wouldn't have a clue about his skill set,certainly not like Schlemko's former coach and a pro scout that saw him play endless times.

Nill schooled Chia/Benning in the Seguin trade no doubt he will School Benning in a trade for Kassian.

Nil schooled Chia because he has the final call on any decisions. Benning was only an assistant and didn't make the final call. So its kind of stupid to put the blame on Benning when he wasn't even the GM at that time. Maybe Benning would've traded Seguin for a much better player, who knows but I agree that Chia was schooled on that trade.

His former coach would be.

In what hockey world do you not see that?

Also,just because the team has a full roster on their big club and farm does not mean they were not interested in him.

Just why do you think Nill picked up Schlemko?

He wouldn't have a clue about his skill set,certainly not like Schlemko's former coach and a pro scout that saw him play endless times.

I think you answered your own question... :picard:

Nothing much to see here, Dallas missing some depth on D so they've claimed Schlemko to fill the void. He can be their Sestito (just on D) and let the younger D develop. Maybe he works out, but pretty clearly he wasn't in high demand having cleared waivers once already and only getting claimed the second time around to be the guy to sit in the press box.

Seguin had well documented off ice issues and Chiarelli is quoted as saying Seguin "had to become more of a professional".

Boston had to dump $6m in cap salary and Seguin was one of six candidates that would be traded.

He was timid.He brought bad habits back from Switzerland with him.He avoided physical contact.

Boston used the cap space to replace Horton with and sign Iginla,receiving Eriksson,Morrow and Smith.

'THERE HAS TO BE A MINIMUM LEVEL OF COMPETE'

For all of Seguin’s talent, he could be an infuriating player to watch during his time as a Bruin. He was the fastest player on the ice, but he routinely lost races to pucks in order to avoid contact. He had elite skill, but he didn’t want the puck on his stick. He was timid.

Seguin didn’t want any part of physical contact, and that limited him. It was tough to tell whether that would ever change with Seguin, just as it was hard to tell with Kessel.

THE PLAYOFFS

Seguin finished last season with 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points, with his .67 points per game a decent step back from his .83 mark of the previous season. Yet it was his postseason that really raised eyebrows.

During a playoff in which he was demoted from Patrice Bergeron’s line to the third line in favor of Jaromir Jagr, Seguin managed just one goal and seven assists over the 22 games.

“He didn’t have the greatest postseason performance,” Chiarelli said. “You could say that about a couple other players. Really, you could.”

Indeed, you could. Brad Marchand had a relatively quiet postseason and has admitted that when he saw the Bruins trade Seguin, he feared that he’d be next.

Of course, there were other things going on with Seguin during the postseason that have been well-documented. Seguin was doing his thing off the ice, but he wasn’t performing on it.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/dj-bean/2013/11/04/closer-look-why-tyler-seguin-no-longer-bruin

I think you answered your own question..

Nothing much to see here, Dallas missing some depth on D so they've claimed Schlemko to fill the void. He can be their Sestito (just on D) and let the younger D develop. Maybe he works out, but pretty clearly he wasn't in high demand having cleared waivers once already and only getting claimed the second time around to be the guy to sit in the press box.

If the Dallas trade rumours have any bearing what I proposed was that Vancouver will take one of Dallas' d men in trade so they added Schlemko to fill the gap if or when the trade goes down.

If Nill wanted a d man in return and Van did not have one it is possible that Schlemko's name came up as they just claimed him.

Desjardins coached him and Jim Elmer Benning's father would have scouted him over the years.

You don't see much but I see connections,posturing and Dallas is not making any run.

'In the meantime -- I've seen some immediate speculation this is all leading to a trade or another big move. While that's certainly possible I doubt anything is happening until closer to the trade deadline.'

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/1/3/7486217/david-schlemko-dallas-stars-waivers-minnesota-wild

If the Dallas trade rumours have any bearing what I proposed was that Vancouver will take one of Dallas' d men in trade so they added Schlemko to fill the gap if or when the trade goes down.

If Nill wanted a d man in return and Van did not have one it is possible that Schlemko's name came up as they just claimed him.

Desjardins coached him and Jim Elmer Benning's father would have scouted him over the years.

You don't see much but I see connections,posturing and Dallas is not making any run.

'In the meantime -- I've seen some immediate speculation this is all leading to a trade or another big move. While that's certainly possible I doubt anything is happening until closer to the trade deadline.'

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/1/3/7486217/david-schlemko-dallas-stars-waivers-minnesota-wild

Maybe, just maybe, Nill claimed him to fill a spot so his young guys could play in the AHL....just like he said. Not everything other GM's do revolve around trying to trade with Vancouver. And to the other poster, if Benning traded Kassian for Schlemko he should be fired immediately. Thankfully I don't think he is that stupid.

Now it gets interesting.

Nill and Benning are two of the brightest and best young GM's in the business.

Both came to be GM's the hard way-working their way up by scouting and overseeing player development of NHL clubs.

Schlemko is a Sherwood Park boy so Benning is all over his skill set.

Schlemko also played for his Tigers so WIllie is all over his skill set.

With Dallas said to be scouting Kassian we may have a trade for a d man in play.

Dallas has a plethora of young d men and Willie coached a few of them in Dallas so he would know what is what and whom is worthy of putting on our blue line for the future.

I thought the Canucks would take Schlemko but maybe Benning passed so that Nill can now trade with us by giving up Klingberg.

That's been my thoughts since the Dallas rumour got going.

No idea why the Stars would give up Klingberg straight up for Kassian but stranger things have happened.

h

if the strategy is to pass on a freebie in order to trade for it later, the game ain't worth playing.

if the strategy is to pass on a freebie in order to trade for it later, the game ain't worth playing.

I never suggested they are trading for Schlemko.

I suggested Klingberg for Kassian.

I said the Canucks coach and GM were in a position to give a valid opinion on Schlemko.

"I thought the Canucks would take Schlemko but maybe Benning passed so that Nill can now trade with us by giving up (us) Klingberg."

Maybe, just maybe, Nill claimed him to fill a spot so his young guys could play in the AHL....just like he said. Not everything other GM's do revolve around trying to trade with Vancouver.

Maybe. Except the Stars allegedly sent a scout to the LA game.

Only Kassian has been the subject of public disapproval by the GM and coach.

No way Dallas trades there young d who is putting up numbers for Kassian

Dallas has a thin d crop. Why in the world would they ever trade it for Kassian?

I'd go for someone else that brings the same kind of grit, toughness that Kassian brought. If we trade toughness, I want toughness coming back.

As much as I would like to pry Klingberg away seeing as that he's also right handed, realistically, Nill ain't gonna sell him for Kassian. They have Brett Ritchie, Benn, Roussel who can hold his own fortress, big boy Erik Cole for a few more years. So they don't need Kassian.

Supporters of the club may want to wait and see how their GM does before being a dick.

Not being a dick just a realist. So to you anybody that critiqs Benning is a dick, btw i have supported this club since inception. I have liked most of his moves but the trade with the Kings for Vey leaves me wondering, could of had Roland McKeown for our thin d- cupboard. Lots of scouts have him as top 4 upside and comparisons to Brent Seabrooke. Beleive me there are a lot of Canuck fans who are not fond of some of his moves, i guess they are dicks to you as well. Don't go on HF boards you might faint when Benning is discussed.

Not being a dick just a realist. So to you anybody that critiqs Benning is a dick, btw i have supported this club since inception. I have liked most of his moves but the trade with the Kings for Vey leaves me wondering, could of had Roland McKeown for our thin d- cupboard. Lots of scouts have him as top 4 upside and comparisons to Brent Seabrooke. Beleive me there are a lot of Canuck fans who are not fond of some of his moves, i guess they are dicks to you as well. Don't go on HF boards you might faint when Benning is discussed.

I have so far been for the most part happy with JB's moves but I agree the trade for Vey was questionable.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Desjardins and Benning in relation to Schlemko, it makes it sound like you're either suggesting we would have claimed him for that reason or that we'd have interest in getting him from Dallas (which we can't, he can't be traded without being offered to any other team that put in a claim as well as the original team first, and the Coyotes could take him back and assign him to the AHL).

Maybe they make a trade in future, but they certainly needed depth right now unless they wanted to keep sitting one of their young D in the press box.

I have so far been for the most part happy with JB's moves but I agree the trade for Vey was questionable.

I honestly assumed Vey was here as a stop gap measure to buy Horvat another year or two of development, and that it was a smart move at the time. But since they seemed to be hell bent on rushing Horvat, the move really makes no sense to me.

Nill schooled Chia/Benning in the Seguin trade no doubt he will School Benning in a trade for Kassian.

Reilly Smith performed well. Morrow is developing nicely.

The reasons that trade looks so bad for Boston are 1) Eriksson getting concussed, and 2) Seguin's chemistry with Benn.

I honestly assumed Vey was here as a stop gap measure to buy Horvat another year or two of development, and that it was a smart move at the time. But since they seemed to be hell bent on rushing Horvat, the move really makes no sense to me.

The problem is both have played well enough to be here (especially Vey's PP success early in the year), but neither has pushed to become part of the core.

And it wasn't just Horvat. People also wondered if Burrows would rebound. Also, we didn't know if Bonino truly a top-6 player. Vey gave us another option in case one of them disappointed.

We didn't really have any young prospects with top-6 potential ready to make the bigs. The Vey trade gave us one. It wasn't that cheap, but then again, it wasn't that expensive either. The question is if he can continue to develop/improve.

Archived