The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man shot by police while turning in a stray dog has died from injuries

Magikal

Dothan, Alabama – 30-year-old Robert Earl Lawrence was shot and killed by police on Tuesday night, after he attempted to do a good deed by turning a stray dog in at a local animal shelter. Instead of accepting this good deed and taking the animal in without question, the workers at the shelter demanded that Lawrence show them his government issued ID.

Instead of giving them his ID, Lawrence showed them notarized and legal identification that was an affidavit instead of Motor Vehicle Administration ID card.

The employees of the shelter then made a careless decision that would end the man’s life. For some reason they decided to call the cops. It was not reported that Lawrence was at all belligerent or violent with the employees of the shelter, the police were called because he did not have a form of ID that they were familiar with.

When police arrived on the scene, Lawrence was hassled by them for several minutes about his ID. Police then informed him that he was being placed under arrest, but when Lawrence attempted to resist, he was shot by an unidentified police officer.

After repeatedly being told to calm down, Lawrence was advised he was being placed under arrest. A physical altercation ensued, to which Lawrence was shot in the abdomen (by an officer),” Police Sgt. Maurice Eggleston told AL News.

Lawrence was then taken to a local hospital in critical condition, where he later died.

As with most police shootings, the media has been quick to drag the victim’s name through the mud, and bring up past issues with law enforcement and even custody battles to justify the actions of the officer.

The mainstream media has said that this man was a Sovereign Citizen, but his family has contacted the Free Thought Project saying that this information is not true, and they will be providing a full statement this week, explaining their side of the story.

The political beliefs that Lawrence held, or his past encounters with law enforcement are totally irrelevant to the circumstances surrounding his murder. What is important is that a man showed up to an animal shelter to do a good deed, but instead was killed after not showing government identification, and for having unpopular political beliefs.

All the articles I have found written on this has been biased. This one is clearly biased against the police.

I disagree with the man getting physical with the police but it seems like his rights were violated and there was no reason to demand his I.D and definitely no reason to resort to using a firearm to take control of the situation. Police are armed with other tools like pepper spray, billy clubs and tasers when situations get out of hand and their safety is threatened. But there is no real reason for the man to have had to show identification or for the police to even show up and harass him.

The man does a good deed by turning in a stray animal that he finds and this is how he is treated. Shameful.

Here is a link to the article : http://thefreethoughtproject.com/man-killed-police-showing-id-turning-stray-cat-animal-shelter/#YiuC1pvzhCsOs31G.99

"Instead of giving them his ID, Lawrence showed them notarized and legal identification that was an affidavit instead of Motor Vehicle Administration ID card."

"The mainstream media has said that this man was a Sovereign Citizen, but his family has contacted the Free Thought Project saying that this information is not true, and they will be providing a full statement this week, explaining their side of the story."

Sure sound like he is a sovereign citizen since he had a notarized affidavit instead of government issued ID. The sovereign citizens are the worst, they will do whatever it takes to provoke a confrontation with the law, and then cry foul after.

Don't get into a physical altercation with police, you might not like the results.

Holly frack,this like this makes me happy I live in Canada.other than the dizanskiy? Murder has there been anything else that's been so messed up?

The high un/underemployment rate for college graduates is pretty criminal. It makes me wish I was Swiss.

"Instead of giving them his ID, Lawrence showed them notarized and legal identification that was an affidavit instead of Motor Vehicle Administration ID card."

"The mainstream media has said that this man was a Sovereign Citizen, but his family has contacted the Free Thought Project saying that this information is not true, and they will be providing a full statement this week, explaining their side of the story."

Sure sound like he is a sovereign citizen since he had a notarized affidavit instead of government issued ID. The sovereign citizens are the worst, they will do whatever it takes to provoke a confrontation with the law, and then cry foul after.

Don't get into a physical altercation with police, you might not like the results.

OK Mr. Police State Apologist.

You don't have ID and you're a dick to the cops, you're going to get arrested. You get into a physical altercation while they try to arrest you, you're gonna have a bad day.

No apologist, but it's not hard to not get shot by the cops.

I think this is tragic yet avoidable, but do you seriously think that having an ID card on you at all times should be a requirement. LOL, Do you also believe that we should all have a tracking chip in our arms to aid government surveillance? Get outta here with that.

I hope that cop feels like a hero.

Fair point, but there was no reason for the police to even be there or to harass him for ID etc. There was also no reason for deadly force to be used.

I think this is tragic yet avoidable, but do you seriously think that having an ID card on you at all times should be a requirement. LOL, Do you also believe that we should all have a tracking chip in our arms to aid government surveillance? Get outta here with that.

Doesn't matter what I think, its the law. It's not a new law either. Not sure about you, but I always carry my ID on me.

Fair point, but there was no reason for the police to even be there or to harass him for ID etc. There was also no reason for deadly force to be used.

No reason, I agree, but the shelter called them so they had to respond. Police asking for ID isn't anything unusual, and sovereign citizens are known for being real dicks with police. Hard to say if deadly force was necessary, we don't know what really happened.

The high un/underemployment rate for college graduates is pretty criminal. It makes me wish I was Swiss.

There's too many idiots going to college anyways. Like the abundance of English, history, sociology, etc. majors. Most people aren't smart enough for STEM majors which are probably the best to get (especially engineering & computer science). Also, a lot of the graduates that do work often don't even work in the field they majored in.

The constitution does not require you to show police your ID ln the US . The police do not have to shoot the guy . Not only do they have pepper spray but they have tasers and stun guns on them as well.

Nobody says being belligerent to the cops is going to end well for you, but shooting the guy dead is beyond drastic simply because he showed utter contempt for them.

You can bet if some clown tried to take a stray dog to the shelter and the RCMP showed up and ended up shooting him dead they would be suspended and probably charged within 2 weeks.

it is in most western societies.

No, it's not.

That being said, you'd almost certainly have an ID of some sort on you (especially if you're driving, in which case, you're expected to carry it).

Not carrying an ID doesn't mean you'll get arrested necessarily, but if by chance that the police are looking for someone of a description that happens to fit you - and you don't have ID - they have no other choice.

It is beneficial to carry ID on you, but it is not at all a requirement, unlike in places like in Europe where you could actually get fined/arrested for not carrying ID (i.e. Germany)

As with most police shootings, the media has been quick to drag the victim’s name through the mud, and bring up past issues with law enforcement and even custody battles to justify the actions of the officer.

The mainstream media has said that this man was a Sovereign Citizen, but his family has contacted the Free Thought Project

Yeah, I read to here before I realized what was going on.

Thought this was a real news piece...

You don't have ID and you're a dick to the cops, you're going to get arrested. You get into a physical altercation while they try to arrest you, you're gonna have a bad day.

No apologist, but it's not hard to not get shot by the cops.

1941 called. It wants its schadenfreude paid forward.

As if real lawyers don't F things up enough, now the arm-chair legal experts have to convict the cops in the court of public opinion without the slightest info on what really happened. Did they actually have a taser or pepper sparay with them at the time? What exactly does resisting arrest mean, that can cover a lot of things from running away to physically attacking an officer. Best wait until you actually have some facts before passing judegement.

Archived