The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovi clobbers Luongo

Mackcanuck

You haven't been clobbered until you catch Ballard's stick off the side of your head. Not sure who did that too but he got clobbered.

Hope Lu is all right. I still have love for that guy.

Vokoun? Someone around here turned it into a lightsaber gif. Makes me laugh every time

Absolutely ran him over intentionally accidentally on purpose. Could very well have minimized that impact if he'd wanted to by steering left and going toward the net.

Had plenty of time (and room) to avoid him and I'd go so far to say that it would have improved his chance of scoring/getting the puck in a scoring position as such. Sure, at game speed things happen quickly, but the pros should have the reflexes and ability to react quickly as well. No pleading "I couldn't (stop/avoid him)". I call BS on that.

With that, dirty deal and although I like OV, this lowered my respect for him a great deal. His instantaneous "who me?" shrug at the refs helped solidify that.

Hope Lu's ok....don't call it a dive because in knowing how his groin is and the position he was in when contacted, it very well did put him at risk of being injured. He made sure it was known but there's no way OV should be plowing into him like that in my view.

looksathim_zps5272bedb.jpg

Lu's on his knees, Ovi has a better chance of scoring if he simply goes left vs straight into Lu from what I see. If he can't maneuver in order to do that with this space between them?....well he could if he'd wanted to I'm sure.

sure_zpsa1de48b7.jpg

puckiswhere_zps65bd845d.jpg

runover_zpsd0b1e8de.jpg

This is rather comical though:

whome_zpsddf10f4a.jpg

Pure OV, 100%. Clown.

Lu put himself in a vulnerable position and when he comes out to challenge for the puck like that, stuff happens. But in a climate where they want to eliminate unnecessary risk of head shots/injury, a goaltender sliding out like that on his knees who IS in a compromised position should be avoided at all costs (I think). Or, let's have a free for all which would be fun too.

Mack....I can't disagree in that he's all about the goals. But he's also reckless and has been known to dole a cheap shot or two if the opportunity presents itself. So it's easy to disguise that with "trying to score".

D: things happen fast and I think an argument can be made both ways. My point is that it should ALWAYS swing in the favour of safety (at this point in the league). But for sure Lu put himself out there in a way that made him vulnerable.

Mack....I can't disagree in that he's all about the goals. But he's also reckless and has been known to dole a cheap shot or two if the opportunity presents itself. So it's easy to disguise that with "trying to score".

D: things happen fast and I think an argument can be made both ways. My point is that it should ALWAYS swing in the favour of safety (at this point in the league). But for sure Lu put himself out there in a way that made him vulnerable.

ALWAYS swinging in the favour of safety is a slippery slope. I don't want to watch a game where players can't go at top speed simply because someone may jump in their way.

And then whose safety are we concerned with? Wasn't there also a chance of Ovechkin getting hurt? And if he did, who would be responsible? The forward chasing down the puck in the slot, or the goalie who came well out of his crease (and right at him) to also chase it down? In fact, if we're going to swing all the way to safety, and maintain the integrity of the game, the only way to prevent this is to put another trapezoid in front of the goalie, and limit how far they can come out to play the puck...

...See what I mean about slippery slope?

well unlike Lucic, Ovechkin isn't a piece of **** and actually let up and tried to avoid making contact.

I agree, that's why I mention it. But you might want to watch the swearing before it gets you in trouble with the mods.

Lu put himself in a vulnerable position and when he comes out to challenge for the puck like that, stuff happens. But in a climate where they want to eliminate unnecessary risk of head shots/injury, a goaltender sliding out like that on his knees who IS in a compromised position should be avoided at all costs (I think). Or, let's have a free for all which would be fun too.

You're screenshots miss the part where Ovi is getting up off one knee after being tripped up slightly prior to contact. The first screenshot shows how low he is as a result though.

It's pretty hard to react and regain your balance enough to make a move to avoid contact. Maybe he doesn't try all that hard, but he still doesn't have a lot of chance to even do so and it doesn't look to me like he aims to actually hit Luongo in any way.

I sucked as a goalie in hockey, but I play keeper in soccer and I know well enough it's not always possible for someone to get out of my way when I charge out. I'm prepared to accept much of the contact that might happen as a result. You get a good sense of when that person is giving you anything extra because they have the opportunity, and when it's unavoidable.

Hockey goalies don't do that nearly as much, but they have to be aware as well and Luongo gets caught. I can't blame Ovi for anything on this one.

I actually thought the same thing as you when I first saw it, Deb. I thought Ovie had plenty of time to avoid Luo and, as you pointed out, since Luo's in a lowered, vulnerable position Ovi would have the responsibility to avoid him if at all possible. However, I don't think Ovi had time simply because he dropped down to his knee just before the contact. He had just got back to his feet a second before contact was made and I don't think he had enough time to actually make a significant change to his trajectory at that point.

I wasn't terribly happy with Ovi's first reaction, which was obvious concern for himself getting a penalty and/or possibly a suspension. But I can't say I blame him too much either. I don't think he did it on purpose but I do think he was concerned it was the kind of thing he could be seriously punished for. (If he'd been wearing a Canuck jersey he'd be suspended until March.) Still, it would have been nice to see him show a little more concern for Luo quicker but once he realized the refs weren't going to give him a penalty he did seem concerned. He went over to Luo and said something (hopefully, "Sorry.") and they tapped gloves, so I'm guessing Luo wasn't blaming him either. (link with video)

In the post game interview with Gallant the media asked about Luo not playing the 3rd period and he joked that he had pulled him. Then he said that the trainers just came and told him they were pulling him for precaution due to an "upper body." He said he hadn't talked to the trainer and didn't know any more, but one would hope it was just muscle tightness or something like that and not a concussion given that he played the rest of the first and then the second period. Even if he stubbornly stayed in for the first they should have given him the concussion assessment between the first and second.

Gallant also said that he thought it should have been a penalty because Luo played the puck first and then was hit and that goalies should be avoided at any cost. He did say, though, that he didn't think Ovi did it on purpose. He said the refs told him they didn't call it because it was a "bang bang" play and he even admitted it was when he saw the replay but still said he thought it should have been a penalty. He didn't call for a suspension or anything.

Obviously the NHL thought it was fine too because they made Ovi second star of the week.

That's the wrong train to step in front of.

Hope is alright, but Ovie is not the player you want to collide with lol.

Seems like Luongo is alright? Damn though, Ovi 8 is not a train you want to get in front of.

Ovie is one of the few guys I wouldn't want running into me. Built like a brick #$/^house

so what you guys are trying to say.... is what exactly?

Archived