The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Signs You Grew Up In Vancouver In The '90s

nux4lyfe

Does anybody remember what used to occupy the spot where Futureshop & Winners is now at the corner of Granville and Robson? For the life of me I cannot recall.

I don't recall, but I remember it was a big empty space for a really, really long time?

Eaton's used to be where Sears is but I can't remember what was across from it. Was it just an office building?

Does anybody remember what used to occupy the spot where Futureshop & Winners is now at the corner of Granville and Robson? For the life of me I cannot recall.

Back in the 1980's, right at the corner of Granville and Robson was a Royal Bank building with a branch on the ground floor and offices on top. The building was about 6 stories tall. It was a pretty modern building. Next to that building was several small buildings, older 1 or 2 story buildings that housed various businesses including a Sony store. All of these buildings were torn down in the 1990's to make way for the current Future Shop/Winners. Before the new complex was built the land was a vacant lot.

A little before my time, but the location of current Pacific Centre Mall with Eatons/Sears was the location of the old Vancouver Hotel, a theatre, and a whole bunch of old buildings from the 1920's and 1930's. They were torn down and became a parking lot in the 1960's before the mall was built.

Back in the 1980's, right at the corner of Granville and Robson was a Royal Bank building with a branch on the ground floor and offices on top. The building was about 6 stories tall. It was a pretty modern building. Next to that building was several small buildings, older 1 or 2 story buildings that housed various businesses including a Sony store. All of these buildings were torn down in the 1990's to make way for the current Future Shop/Winners. Before the new complex was built the land was a vacant lot.

A little before my time, but the location of current Pacific Centre Mall with Eatons/Sears was the location of the old Vancouver Hotel, a theatre, and a whole bunch of old buildings from the 1920's and 1930's. They were torn down and became a parking lot in the 1960's before the mall was built.

Thanks, I was able to find this image:

vancouver-block-1900s-copy.jpg

credit: https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/granville-street-700-block-east-side/

Actually that picture is a bit old, from the 1930s. It's changed since then with a modern Royal Bank building that was probably built in the late 1960's. That building lasted until the mid 90's. Anyone over 30 should remember that newer Royal Bank building.

Archived