The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Netflix cracking down on country restriction bypassing

Xbox

The problem was we only have one TV, and use the PS3 to access it. I'd have to turn it off to play online games (since the US DNS would slow the connection down too much), then turn it back on again to watch Netflix. Then DNS codes would stop working, etc...

But now that I think of it, I just got a PS4, and never use my PS3 for gaming now. Guess I could set up the PS3 for US and the PS4 for Cdn, and not have to switch the latter.

You need a better VPN service. Try privateinternetaccess.com

Exactly.

Technically, if you are in Canada and bypassing Netflix terms and conditions - you are pirating - that is, you are illegally streaming shows / movies which you have NOT paid for. Your subscription in Canada entitles you to only what is provided by Netflix in Canada.

What you could do to be more productive is to lobby the CRTC and their counter partner in the USA to work towards a "free trade" kind of agreement and end the buying/selling of program rights to individual corporations...or something like that...

Yet if I go on vacation in the US and access my Netflix account I get access to the US content. I still only pay for the canadian service though.

It would be easy for Netflix to blacklist all the public VPN IPs.

You could get a cheap hosting account with a US IP and create your own private VPN server with OpenVPN.

What ISP are you using? Just curious. Looking to potentially ditch mine.

If they are still making their monthly fees why does Netflix care? If anything they are just going to lose customers instead of gaining new ones

Well, they are providing the infrastructure for the apparent "pirating" of content so they could be made to feel pressure by the very companies (IE: Hollywood movie studios) that provide them with said content, or the local providers (Discovery Channel to keep with the Aladeen example) who have deals struck as the sole provider.

However:

It's 100,000,000,000 easier to VPN and watch Netflix vs lobbying for change. They can kiss my ass.

Yet if I go on vacation in the US and access my Netflix account I get access to the US content. I still only pay for the canadian service though.

Yeah - that what I don't understand - why don't they just go by your mailing address?

Sure...some die hard break the rules twits will use a US address to circumvent....make it so it's the same as the billing address for your credit card....

I use Teksavvy. It's $40/month for 25Mbit. The same speed on Shaw is around $70. There is no difference at all between the services as Teksavvy uses Shaw's infrastructure.

Good call. I was looking at Internet Lightspeed, which is a local outfit. A little tired of being soaked by the monopoly guys.

Yeah - that what I don't understand - why don't they just go by your mailing address?

Sure...some die hard break the rules twits will use a US address to circumvent....make it so it's the same as the billing address for your credit card....

you don't understand it because you are misrepresenting their business model. I don't have a "canadian" netflix account.. there is no such thing as a canadian or american netflix account just a NETFLIX acount and the content available to you at the time you sign in is based entirely on your geographic location.. which is stupid given that two people using the exact same service less then a km away from each other have different experiences. The licensing people need to join us in the current century.

I use Teksavvy. It's $40/month for 25Mbit. The same speed on Shaw is around $70. There is no difference at all between the services as Teksavvy uses Shaw's infrastructure.

Been on the lookout for another internet/phone company since Shaw just raised their prices. Seems expensive for install and modem though.

I sense a shift from Netflix to Shomi for lots of Canadian customers in the near future.

Hard to say. Netflix owns a lot of exclusive material. I'm currently using Shomi on a free trial, they have a long way to go to be decent.

What popular shows/movies are on the US netflix that isn't available for Can netflix?

Was looking last night. Didn't notice a huge difference in newer movies, etc.

The biggest difference is in TV. Like for comedy series, US Netflix has the whole back catalogue of Frasier, Cheers, 30 Rock, The Office, and more.

Archived