The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal (youth swap) (of course another one) (duh)

Mr.53

I've been a fan of Madison Bowey for a while now. And yes, I'll admit the WJC win got me a little jazzed up. Sue me. But I was thinking of a three-way trade that could benefit all teams.

To Vancouver: Madison Bowey

To Washington: Reilly Smith, Anton Cederholm

To Boston: Zack Kassian

The deal basically comes down to this.

Vancouver does this because: We get a great young stud right handed D prospect. Bowey would fit perfectly with the Canucks lineup. Especially if it does look like Kevin Bieksa's time is running out, Bowey would be a suitable replacement. The loss of Kassian will hurt, but I think Bowey could be better for us, as early as next year or 2. We need to address our back end issues if we want to stay competitive for the future. Bowey is the least proven as he's the youngest, but the only way he's getting pried out of there is for youthful talent back. A right handed shot stud defenseman is the last piece in my opinion to have a solid complete youth pool.

Washington does this because: They get Reilly Smith, who is capable of putting up high end offensive numbers who is still a young talent. He makes the Caps better, and more of a contender in the East. I feel like after the David Perron trade, some East teams may look for upgrades as well. They add tons of offense without really touching their roster. He gives them good offensive talent, and since he's young, he can be adopted into their core. Anton cederholm pretty much just acts as a consolation for losing Bowey. A lessor prospect with far less potential, but still enough potential to maybe crack the roster in a couple years.

Boston does this because: According to reports and word of mouth, (we all know how reliable that can be) Boston is looking to get heavier and add muscle. First off let me say this, I like Zack Kassian, and think he is going to be a good player in this league. However, you have to give to get. Kassian adds the muscle they've been looking for, and could fit the Bruins play style well. Imagine Lucic AND Kassian beating down opposing teams lines. That is an Eastern Conference team I don't think anyone would like to match up with in the playoffs. If anyones system knows how to bring the power forward out of a player, I think it's the Boston Bruins.

End result is.

+ Van: Madison Bowey

- Van: Zack Kassian, Anton Cederholm

+ Wsh: Reilly Smith, Anton Cederholm

- Wsh: Madison Bowey

+ Bos: Zack Kassian

- Bos: Reilly Smith

I know the trade is a little "out there" to say the least, but what do you guys think? Any tweaks or throw the whole thing out? (que the sarcastic comments. I always love them. Best part of CDC)

You definitely are not the only Canucks fan that would love to have Bowey. A few Canucks fans on HF are also quite enamored by Bowey and it was well before the WJC even began.

The general consensus among Washington fans for a prospect swap was Bowey+ for Horvat. They have a surplus of wingers so the need for a guy like Smith is not really there. They are looking for a 2C, its what that team has needed for a long while. The + they were willing to offer (for Horvat) was not really that significant though unless it was a C who was more proven and established than Horvat. They weren't that interested in Bonino either and I don't think that makes any sense from the Canucks perspective either.

I don't think there is a trade here imo. I expect Bowey to be the replacement for Green someday and I don't see the Canucks meeting any of the Caps demands.

You definitely are not the only Canucks fan that would love to have Bowey. A few Canucks fans on HF are also quite enamored by Bowey and it was well before the WJC even began.

The general consensus among Washington fans for a prospect swap was Bowey+ for Horvat. They have a surplus of wingers so the need for a guy like Smith is not really there. They are looking for a 2C, its what that team has needed for a long while. The + they were willing to offer (for Horvat) was not really that significant though unless it was a C who was more proven and established than Horvat. They weren't that interested in Bonino either and I don't think that makes any sense from the Canucks perspective either.

I don't think there is a trade here imo. I expect Bowey to be the replacement for Green someday and I don't see the Canucks meeting any of the Caps demands.

I respect you opinion. If they wanted Horvat, I think it would have to be a straight 1 for 1. I don't think people realize the significance of cracking a roster at the age of 19. The last guy to do that for the Canucks was Ryan Kesler. Out of the other 19 year olds to crack the roster for us, whether itbe the Sedin's or the Trevor Lindens of the world, he is put in elite company. I'm sure other fan bases see Horvat the way we see Lazar or Bowey. Super valuable/almost untradable. I just thought this would address every teams needs in a sufficient deal. Every team gets what they want and need, but at the price of something valuable still.

I respect you opinion. If they wanted Horvat, I think it would have to be a straight 1 for 1. I don't think people realize the significance of cracking a roster at the age of 19. The last guy to do that for the Canucks was Ryan Kesler. Out of the other 19 year olds to crack the roster for us, whether itbe the Sedin's or the Trevor Lindens of the world, he is put in elite company. I'm sure other fan bases see Horvat the way we see Lazar or Bowey. Super valuable/almost untradable. I just thought this would address every teams needs in a sufficient deal. Every team gets what they want and need, but at the price of something valuable still.

I would put Horvat above Lazar. Lazar isn't ready for the NHL yet, Horvat is a regular.

I would put Horvat above Lazar. Lazar isn't ready for the NHL yet, Horvat is a regular.

+1 to that. I'm just saying, I feel like theres a feeling around CDC that our prospects are lessor than others with equal or greater pedigrees. Horvat is as valuable a prospect as almost any is my point. He's a 19 year old NHL regular. We don't even need to go into the stats he's putting up on the 4th line etc etc. Guys like that are usually put in elite category. I probably didn't articulate it well but there you go. :)

+1 to that. I'm just saying, I feel like theres a feeling around CDC that our prospects are lessor than others with equal or greater pedigrees. Horvat is as valuable a prospect as almost any is my point. He's a 19 year old NHL regular. We don't even need to go into the stats he's putting up on the 4th line etc etc. Guys like that are usually put in elite category. I probably didn't articulate it well but there you go. :)

You done good :)

His role isn't to score. His role is to be a 4th line energy, shutdown, what ever you want to call it. He does his job, but he also does his job well. Not only that, he does it with a smile. This is the kind of guy you want on our roster. Some people compare him to players, but I won't. He's not like Kesler, and you can't guarantee he will be like Patrice Bergeron. But I will tell you he looks like a second line anchor. The type that shows up for the playoffs and plays a 60 minute game. People wonder who won the Horvat trade (not the Schneider trade) and I tell them both sides won. Anyways I should just go back to the Horvat thread :P.

Ok to stay on topic.... If we are going for Bowey, just keep it simple. Jensen, Cederholm and '16 2nd.

You done good :)

His role isn't to score. His role is to be a 4th line energy, shutdown, what ever you want to call it. He does his job, but he also does his job well. Not only that, he does it with a smile. This is the kind of guy you want on our roster. Some people compare him to players, but I won't. He's not like Kesler, and you can't guarantee he will be like Patrice Bergeron. But I will tell you he looks like a second line anchor. The type that shows up for the playoffs and plays a 60 minute game. People wonder who won the Horvat trade (not the Schneider trade) and I tell them both sides won. Anyways I should just go back to the Horvat thread :P.

Ok to stay on topic.... If we are going for Bowey, just keep it simple. Jensen, Cederholm and '16 2nd.

agreed. and if we could get him for that price, I would take it as well.

Um... based on what?

They're both playing like the same role and getting same production. They're pretty much at the exact same spot right now.

Although close. I give the edge to Horvat. Better in the face-off dot, and is performing with a similar impact despite coming off injury and playing in a VERY limited way by the coach. As time passes, Willie D will grow to trust Horvat more, and it's already showing, however, I still give the slight edge to Bo.

Lmao Madison Bowey is so overrated its not even funny. Guy is not that good.

To that I totally, and respectfully disagree. Bowey is going to be big time. He has a complete game. 6'2, 205+ pounds, boasting NHL ready size. He's a tremendous skater, and has good physical edge. He is capable of playing a shut down role and still has impressive passing and puck moving skills to boot. His shot gets through, too allowing him to QB the power play. Much like Bo, he also oozes leadership. Having Bo up front, and Bowey in the back would be a FANTASTIC combo going forward. He's seriously the whole package. is The only thing is converting his skills to the pros, and you never quite know how a player will do in that aspect. Especially defensmen and goalies. I hope people don't think he's that good, let him come here and show he will be.

To that I totally, and respectfully disagree. Bowey is going to be big time. He has a complete game. 6'2, 205+ pounds, boasting NHL ready size. He's a tremendous skater, and has good physical edge. He is capable of playing a shut down role and still has impressive passing and puck moving skills to boot. His shot gets through, too allowing him to QB the power play. Much like Bo, he also oozes leadership. Having Bo up front, and Bowey in the back would be a FANTASTIC combo going forward. He's seriously the whole package. is The only thing is converting his skills to the pros, and you never quite know how a player will do in that aspect. Especially defensmen and goalies. I hope people don't think he's that good, let him come here and show he will be.

He is absolutely terrible defensively. He makes so many bad decisions in his own end and has terrible positioning. I don't think he's going to be an NHL player, and if he is, he'll be a bottom pairing guy.

He is absolutely terrible defensively. He makes so many bad decisions in his own end and has terrible positioning. I don't think he's going to be an NHL player, and if he is, he'll be a bottom pairing guy.

Fair enough. I guess well have to agree to disagree. But in my opinion, I think he's going to be big time.

Fair enough. I guess well have to agree to disagree. But in my opinion, I think he's going to be big time.

I think the majority would agree with You. I'm not convinced that pimp c has watched him play.

I'm not in favour of trading Kassian, however that being said I would love to get Bowey. I don't think Washington would trade him to be honest but as far as proposals go I think you did a good job.

Well done.

Honestly (in my opinion at least) this appears to be a very plausible and fair trade all around.

Having said that, I think Washington would be very cautious before letting Bowey go, as they are counting on him to be the backbone of their D core for the foreseeable future, so I don't see this sort of trade happening.

But good trade idea. Kudos to you :)

Archived