The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating during the world juniors Canada V. Russia

TheJoker

Even though the fans booed them at the end (It was in Toronto after all ;))I'd say that's one of the best and most evenly called games I've ever seen. The penalty's to the offsides and icings were spot on IMO.

How I wish the NHL would have refs like that, but we all know Buttmans agenda of pushing American teams forward in an effort to increase their $&!#ty hockey markets is the real reason we don't. As well IMO the game changer in games 4-7 Boston vs Vancouver SCF.

My question is how long until that guy gets replaced, gets rid of his biased officials, or rolls over ;)?

/rant

In general the game was well officiated. At first they let the player play and really gave fluidity to the game. After a few scrum they penalize Russia which really settle down both teams.

However the only part I didn't like is when Canada broke out and gain momemtum there is a few call that were not made because Canada was dominating. But then when Russia was trailing they decided to start calling penalties that were not called at the start (always easier to call penalties when a team is trailing 5-1). And that gave Russia the momemtum back, and when the game was close again, then decided not to call anything on both side for the rest of the game.

But overall, they let guys play physical, didn't call to much penalties which gave the game a really good flow.

Missed an elbow to petan, missed a high stick (I forget against who on a follow through which is a penalty), Virtanen's hit wasn't a penalty (they called it boarding?), gave Fucale a snow shower.

idk how you could argue against those points. A biased Russian could point out the ones I missed on Canada ( I wouldn't believe him)

at the end of the day the tournament was reffed okay but like the NHL its okay. Not good but okay

You should have just stopped after your first paragraph. I agree that the game was well officiated, as was the entire tournament, for the most part.

The rest of your post.... :rolleyes:

Not sure what you are rolling your eyes about, clearly someone didn't want a blowout. Pretty much nothing called until Canada got up 5-1, then suddenly the whistle comes out and Russia gets 4 straight powerplays on pretty iffy calls. When the third started at 5-4 the whistle was put away again. Not saying anti-Canada bias, maybe sympathy for a team getting pasted (Refs aren't robots) or maybe a blowout is bad for TV ratings and the IIHF wanted a closer game to help promote this tournament.

Not sure what you are rolling your eyes about, clearly someone didn't want a blowout. Pretty much nothing called until Canada got up 5-1, then suddenly the whistle comes out and Russia gets 4 straight powerplays on pretty iffy calls. When the third started at 5-4 the whistle was put away again. Not saying anti-Canada bias, maybe sympathy for a team getting pasted (Refs aren't robots) or maybe a blowout is bad for TV ratings and the IIHF wanted a closer game to help promote this tournament.

Of the 4 PP's, Russia only scored on 2 and 2 of them were iffy calls. Charging on Domi and Virtanen's boarding penalty. Other than that, the calls were spot on. Sure the powerplays helped Russia come back, but Fucale looked pretty shaky during that 4 minute span when Russia kept on scoring.

Missed an elbow to petan, missed a high stick (I forget against who on a follow through which is a penalty), Virtanen's hit wasn't a penalty (they called it boarding?), gave Fucale a snow shower.

idk how you could argue against those points. A biased Russian could point out the ones I missed on Canada ( I wouldn't believe him)

at the end of the day the tournament was reffed okay but like the NHL its okay. Not good but okay

Honestly we can nitpick all we want about refereeing but it's never gonna be perfect in hockey. It's a fast paced game, refs are at ice level so they can't see the whole play, things get heated and emotional, and on top of that hockey is a sport where refs are expected to change their style based on the flow of the game rather than just call the rules as they see them.

So even the best refs in the business aren't gonna be perfect or even anywhere close to it. Hockey is one of the most fluid, dynamic, fast paced sports in the world if not the most and I would imagine one of the most difficult to officiate.

Of the 4 PP's, Russia only scored on 2 and 2 of them were iffy calls. Charging on Domi and Virtanen's boarding penalty. Other than that, the calls were spot on. Sure the powerplays helped Russia come back, but Fucale looked pretty shaky during that 4 minute span when Russia kept on scoring.

Disagree on Domi. He left his feet, which is pretty much automatic.

I didn't have too much of a problem with any of the calls. I think it might be a case of people looking at a coincidence and reading conspiracy into it.

You're not sure? Maybe you should revisit the OP. The "Bettman agenda" is what I'm rolling my eyes at and rightfully so.

Why were the fans so classless in booing the referees?

It doesn't matter if they were "Toronto" fans or not - they cheered on Godla, so that they clearly know what is good and bad. The reffing was without a doubt one of the best parts of the tournament.

now the WJHC is fixed? The stupidity of that statement is mind numbing.

Domi one was completely his fault, Virtanen was just delivering a real good ol' hit.

Of course the IIHF want it to be no-contact hockey.

I think the refs did a great job. Didn't see any reason to even consider calling them biased or unfair.

Sure a couple calls were questionable but that's bound to happen when a game is played at that speed/tempo and with international rules when so many of the players are used to a North American style of play.

Typical delusional fan.

The reffing is superb when we win and a league conspiracy when we lose. Damn you people are petty children.

It would help if kids actually played the game these days instead of reading about it on the internet and pretending they have a clue about what they're talking about.

You're not sure? Maybe you should revisit the OP. The "Bettman agenda" is what I'm rolling my eyes at and rightfully so.

Maybe you should try quoting the post you are actually referring to then, I'm not going to track down every post the guy made and try to guess which one you are referring to, I assume when you quote someone you are referring specifically to that particular post.

He didn't say it was fixed. Trying to keep a game close =/= fixing it. We would have seen the same thing happen if Russia had the 5-1 lead.

Exactly, deliberate attempts to provoke me like this are why Stawns is on my ignore list, I already let Tas sucker me into a warning, I'm not about to let another obnoxious kid do the same.

Archived