The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Dreger] All Leafs players now potential trade targets

Kassian for Bozak? It's close, but I really don't think we'd need Bozak other than for his faceoffs.

For one, his faceoffs are a big thing. He's taken 1045 of them (so is definitely the go-to guy for Toronto, getting the tough draws) and is at a respectable 51.8%. In comparison, Henrik is getting the bulk of the tough faceoffs for us (860, going 47.9%). Getting a guy like Bozak would free him up (and Bonino too) to concentrate on offense and take easier matchups.

Secondly, he has scored 14 goals. That's 4 more than anyone on our team not named Vrbata. Now, he probably won't score as many if he gets traded away and is not playing with Kessel, but at the same time, it shows he's at least a quality secondary scoring option.

And lastly, he has 49 takeaways! Second only to Ryan O'Reilly in the league (Bonino is 11th in the league with 36, next closest is Hansen with 25). His defensive play is really underrated - especially considering that he has to cover for arguably the worst back-checker in the league being his regular winger.

Dreger is saying on TSN that the Leafs can trade Kessel tomorrow and not eat a penny in cap...

Dreger should be banned by TSN about talking about Toronto. Talk about a biasd opinion. I wonder if Dreger will be this bias against Toronto once his cuz Nonis is let go from Toronto.

Dreger should be banned by TSN about talking about Toronto. Talk about a biasd opinion. I wonder if Dreger will be this bias against Toronto once his cuz Nonis is let go from Toronto.

Amazingly a media personality actually stepped down in the last week in canada for a conflict of interest.

How the hell Dreger is not being called out for the same thing is beyond me

The Leafs were too stupid to deal from a position of strength. Instead they ignored all the writing on the wall, and now they're desperation sellers with no leverage, trying to move overpaid core assets and a bust like Gardiner, thinking they're going to hit home runs dumping their fail. Good luck with that.

How do you build a winner?

You need 7 players in particular positions that are better than the other team's 7 players, and there is a particular hierchy in terms of value

1C

1D-all purpose

1G

2D- shutdown

2C- excellent 2 way

1W

3C

Leafs have 2 of these, Kessel 1W and Reilly - maybe future 1D

That's it, so IMO. They should move Kessel to try and get 1-2 more players higher up on that list with the focus on getting the single best asset possible. When you ask for multiple pieces, the quality goes down.

No point in trading Reilly, or Nylander, everyone else should be on the block.

Worse. His audience is comprised of a lot of minors. He is feeding minors total bull**** . I think there should be a law against that.

Dreger knows what he is doing. Everyone is being traded, and every player in the league is 'rumored' to be coveted by the leafs. Hype as much Leaf participation as possible.

Its fraud in my opinion.

Dreger is saying on TSN that the Leafs can trade Kessel tomorrow and not eat a penny in cap...

laughing-lol-crazy-l.png

It's true though...if they take a bad contract back in the deal.

Carolina would happily do Semin + a good pick/prospect for Kessel. Dallas probably would do the same with Hemsky; Florida with Bolland; Buffalo with Hodgson...

Kessel should worth 6-6.5 of your cap, so as long as you shed a couple million elsewhere, it's all good.

It's true though...if they take a bad contract back in the deal.

Carolina would happily do Semin + a good pick/prospect for Kessel. Dallas probably would do the same with Hemsky; Florida with Bolland; Buffalo with Hodgson...

Kessel should worth 6-6.5 of your cap, so as long as you shed a couple million elsewhere, it's all good.

Yeah, I agree that they'll have to concede and take a bad contract back, or simply accept that his contract devlues him as a trade asset (aside from being one dimensional and out of shape lol) - but the problem with a few of those targets is his NTC - I doubt you can pawn him off on Buffalo - where he's willing to go undoubtedly complicates and further weakens their leverage.

Yeah, I agree that they'll have to concede and take a bad contract back, or simply accept that his contract devlues him as a trade asset (aside from being one dimensional and out of shape lol) - but the problem with a few of those targets is his NTC - I doubt you can pawn him off on Buffalo - where he's willing to go undoubtedly complicates and further weakens their leverage.

If Toronto really wants to do the rebuild proper, and are willing to tank for a few years, then they should retain a couple million of salary. That opens up many more potential trade partners, and greatly increases his value as an asset.

A team with a strong core and defensive structure, who simply needs a pure goalscorer, would pay a hefty price to have Kessel at 6 million. Maybe Anaheim? They have the assets, cap space, and Kesler to cover for his defensive inefficiencies (didn't they play together at the Olympics?). They could really use some secondary scoring too...having the games so close all the time can be hard on the players.

Bill Watters is breaking down the Leafs' options right now on 1040

Prognosis negative

According to the Leafs, the prospective teams for a Kessel trade are supposedly Arizona, NYI and Nashville. Watters thinks they're full of sh!t.

I think he also said Toronto might have already turned down a deal to send Phaneuf to LA but I just caught the end of that part, no details.

Bill Watters is breaking down the Leafs' options right now on 1040

Prognosis negative

According to the Leafs, the prospective teams for a Kessel trade are supposedly Arizona, NYI and Nashville. Watters thinks they're full of sh!t.

I think he also said Toronto might have already turned down a deal to send Phaneuf to LA but I just caught the end of that part, no details.

Phaneuf for Mike Richards and Jordan Weal. Phaneuf would be really interesting on a team like LA - put him beside a guy like Matt Greene and he could turn it around.

If I were the Leafs I'd be on the phone with Burkie trying to pry Wotherspoon and Culkin out of him.

I wouldn't be idling around trying to buff the beater through comical media kicks oonducted through the media.

Kessel - if you can get a couple assets among Jarnkrok, Watson, Aberg, Salomaki, Leipsic out of Nashville, I think you jump at that and turn the page.

If I'm Nashville though, I'm not interested.

Phaneuf for Mike Richards and Jordan Weal. Phaneuf would be really interesting on a team like LA - put him beside a guy like Matt Greene and he could turn it around.

If I were the Leafs I'd be on the phone with Burkie trying to pry Wotherspoon and Culkin out of him.

I wouldn't be idling around trying to buff the beater through comical media kicks oonducted through the media.

Kessel - if you can get a couple assets among Jarnkrok, Watson, Aberg, Salomaki, Leipsic out of Nashville, I think you jump at that and turn the page.

If I'm Nashville though, I'm not interested.

I think LA wants more capspace; thus, the rumours of Richards being on the block, so Phaneuf doesn't really make sense for them given his contract.

Archived