The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Dreger] All Leafs players now potential trade targets

I'd have to wonder who again would be better for the job than Nonis ? I mean Carlyle is an excellent coach, perhaps in a losing situation where it appeared from the outside he could not crack the whip on players like Kessel for some reason. I don't see a better coach going to Toronto. Babcock only has to look at how the team is being run and know how good he has it in Detroit.

Yeah completely agree, Kessel and Phaneuf are overpaid or at the least have a higher value remaining in Toronto than anything another team could justify in paying on top of the salary commitments.

Franson is a player the Leafs should try and re-sign as there really is nothing better come free agency, true he may command more but can they afford to let him go ?

Yes, they can and should afford to let him go. Not because Franson isn't good, but because you don't correct previous botched signings by continuing the trend and overpaying to keep guys.

To set a precendent, the Leafs need to stop overpaying guys right now, and that starts with Franson. And because the fans and the organization are starting to admit that they are going to have to restart their rebuild, part of that process begins with the way they have handled the contracts they've dished out. If Franson was on a different team (i.e. Detroit), then no, you don't get rid of him. However, Toronto has so many issues, and contracts is a huge one.

If they want to be able to re-sign players like Rielly, Nylander, and whatever future draft picks they get to reasonable contracts, they have to begin the process now. Otherwise, you will see those players re-sign for far too much, making the rebuild even worse in hindsight.

If you're Franson and you are going to re-sign with Toronto, you look at contracts you've signed with them in the last few years, and then you look at Phaneuf's contract and you say, "I've given them pay-cuts before, now they can pay me what they are paying guys who produce far less than I do (i.e. Phaneuf, Clarkson).

Carlyle is a really good coach, but The Leafs looked like they weren't buying into his game. Bad goaltending and poor on ice IQ leads to these blowouts.

And I blame the goalie coach, for one, because you have 2 guys who have shown starter potential at one point, and turned them into embarrassments.

Secondly, Kessel must have the lowest defensive aptitude for a first liner in the league. Seriously, he's like that one guy in NHL 15 that floats around looking for a long lead pass.

And thirdly, there's rarely any sort of leadership in the locker room anymore. You're in a locker room after a loss, and who's there to motivate you? Phil Kessel and Dion "Don't Salute The Fans" Phaneuf. Two of the most douchebaggy players in the league. Aside from (insert Bruins player), I hate those two guys the most. It's just their faces, idk.

Anyways, I could keep listing off reason why the Leafs suck, but then I'd be here all day.

I don't think I'd be too quick to help them out. JVR's cap hit isn't bad. Bozak's better than our current 2nd line center, but not by much. I'm not all giddy about Kadri's upside. Franson has potential, but isn't affordable. Gardiner isn't quite worth his cap hit. Don't think they'd part with Reilly, who is their latest 'future stud' d-man. Even Bernier is going to get a huge raise instantly.

Jeez, TO really is in cap hell now. And there' no standout prospects there except for Nylander, who stands out in a bad way.

Nonis managed to ruin what Burke was doing in a season and a half. Good work.

If we wanted to lend them a hand, I'd trade Jensen for JVR. They could use some cap relief going forward.

While I'm sure everyone here would love that, that would horribly bad for the Leafs, even for a cap relief trade. Pretty sure they can get a better prospect then Jensen for JVR, if cap relief by trading JVR was the route they would go.

David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor 1m1 minute ago

"They (Phaneuf and Kessell) are untradeable...they are both grossly overpaid."--former Leaf exec @RealBillWatters on #mackoandcauz #tsn1050

They should chop off Nonis now too. Start that search so that the new GM can pick his own coach and dismantle the roster himself.

Burke....Nonis.....Gillis?

Lol

Dave Nonis is a terrible GM, not Milbury or Snow bad, but still pretty high up there.

As a huge Islanders fan, I've gone through the lowest of lows with them. And although Snow has made some brutal trades, I've always said that you can't say he doesn't at least try and improve the team. While you have some GMs on one end of the spectrum who are too afraid to trade away any pieces (i.e. Oilers), Snow is on the opposite end and is not afraid to cut ties with players or picks to improve.

While this does not work out all the time (i.e. Nino, Vanek/Moulson/1st rounder), the guy has absolutely handled his contracts he's handed out better than any other GM in the NHL, and was able to shore up his goaltending and defensive problems this off-season very, very quickly.

Again, I'm a huge Islanders fan and have slapped my forehead more than enough times over Snow's boneheaded decisions, he has not set back the Isles nearly as badly as Nonis has.

Guest Dasein

Dave Nonis is a terrible GM, not Milbury or Snow bad, but still pretty high up there.

Give Snow some credit. He screwed up for so many years, but he's really turned it around since drafting Tavares

relax everyone... things couldn't get as worse as it did for the oilers... the leafs will trade just there older players and hopefully tank all the way so they can get a good draft pick...im waiting for them to prove me wrong... in a sense i am in a belief that the canucks should do the same thing just for the fact that they don't have any potential number 1 centers to replace henrik when he is done...

Just not much that we need...that would be affordable, anyway.

Franson would be nice now, but will be too expensive to re-sign next year. Not really wanting to give up valuable assets for a rental (unless we can somehow convince Bieksa to waive his NTC to make room).

I would think Franson would love to play for his hometown Vancouver Canucks since he grew up in Surrey and played for the Giants. A small hometown discount to play for a team trending upwards. Maybe a bridge contract of 2 years for 3.5 million a year and see how he does and if he works out, give him a long term extension.

As a huge Islanders fan, I've gone through the lowest of lows with them. And although Snow has made some brutal trades, I've always said that you can't say he doesn't at least try and improve the team. While you have some GMs on one end of the spectrum who are too afraid to trade away any pieces (i.e. Oilers), Snow is on the opposite end and is not afraid to cut ties with players or picks to improve.

While this does not work out all the time (i.e. Nino, Vanek/Moulson/1st rounder), the guy has absolutely handled his contracts he's handed out better than any other GM in the NHL, and was able to shore up his goaltending and defensive problems this off-season very, very quickly.

Again, I'm a huge Islanders fan and have slapped my forehead more than enough times over Snow's boneheaded decisions, he has not set back the Isles nearly as badly as Nonis has.

I'd have to say that's fair. But I was just spitballing names. It's just whenever I hear Snow, I think of the 2012 draft. Could you imagine if that trade happened!!?

Archived