The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Dreger] All Leafs players now potential trade targets

There are a few pieces on TO that would be excellent for the Canucks. A few d men would be good fits as would Mr. Bozak as a #2 C move Bonino to 3.

I wouldn't mind that. Bozak is an underrated player, who has also become a good faceoff man.

David William Naylor @TSNDaveNaylor 1m1 minute ago

"They (Phaneuf and Kessell) are untradeable...they are both grossly overpaid."--former Leaf exec @RealBillWatters on #mackoandcauz #tsn1050

Wilbur Watters is senile these days. Anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

I will still never understand the trashing that Kessel gets. The guy is a scoring machine year in year out despite playing a lot of the time without a #1 center. Not every forward is going to be able to play defense like Toews and Bergeron. Is he overpaid? I guess so but many other players who do a lot less for their teams are 'grossly overpaid' too.

I would think Franson would love to play for his hometown Vancouver Canucks since he grew up in Surrey and played for the Giants. A small hometown discount to play for a team trending upwards. Maybe a bridge contract of 2 years for 3.5 million a year and see how he does and if he works out, give him a long term extension.

You are totally dreaming.

Franson is having a career year, and he will be the top free agent defenseman at the end of this year. He's going to get over 5 million per, and long-term - just like Niskanen last year.

I would think Franson would love to play for his hometown Vancouver Canucks since he grew up in Surrey and played for the Giants. A small hometown discount to play for a team trending upwards. Maybe a bridge contract of 2 years for 3.5 million a year and see how he does and if he works out, give him a long term extension.

Pretty sure he grew up in Salmon arm/Sicamous area... Anyways would like to have him as well but don't wanna help out the leafs whatsoever. So maybe just better of to wait till he walks

Robidas is playing very well for them. 3 million for him right now is a bargain. However, he has 2.5 years left on his deal, and will be 40 at the end of it. So that bargain may quickly become an anchor.

Also, after looking at the stats, I see that Booth has a grand total of 2 points in 19 games.

How often do players end up going back to their home province they happened to play for years and years earlier?

Mark Recchi? Nope

Steve Yzerman? Nope

Joe Sakic? Nope

Ray Ferraro? Nope

Glenn Anderson? Nope

Scott Niedermayer? Nope

Brent Seabrook? Nope

Just because someone once lived in a specific province/city, that doesn't mean they will want to come back. Not because they didn't like it, but because they understand that there are other places in the world to live that also have their advantages.

If they find a coach that get turn Kessel into a player who gives a rats behind about playing in his own zone at all I'd consider that a miracle.

I agree with a previous poster.........does every player have to have defensive game? Kessel is a scoring machine and has done so without laying with a legit #1 cman.

Just because someone once lived in a specific province/city, that doesn't mean they will want to come back. Not because they didn't like it, but because they understand that there are other places in the world to live that also have their advantages.

Dan Hamhuis, Jason Garrison - Van

Ryan Suter, Zack Parise, Keith Ballard - Min

Roberto Luongo - Fla

I will still never understand the trashing that Kessel gets. The guy is a scoring machine year in year out despite playing a lot of the time without a #1 center. Not every forward is going to be able to play defense like Toews and Bergeron. Is he overpaid? I guess so but many other players who do a lot less for their teams are 'grossly overpaid' too.

Perhaps some reality / objective outcomes will help you understand.

Kessel is an absolutely horrible puck possession player. He gets the second highest offensive zone starts among Leafs forwards and has arguably the worst underlying numbers on the entire team - only JVR can really compete in that sense. Kessel's corsi on of -20.31 is all about himself - he's the weak link that sinks his line's possession. Quite possibly the worst two way player / premier floater in the entire NHL.

He's 3rd worst among all NHL forwards with a -17 turnover differential already this season - and if that's not indication enough of his irresponsibility (even with the puck) - he was an epic -51 last season, the worst among NHL forwards bar none, with 88 giveaways (2nd worst among NHL forwards).

Add to the reality that he is an absolute passenger without the puck, and one of the NHL's most prolific producers of turnovers when he does have the puck - add to that his lack of commitment to fitness (shows up in Vladimir Krutov condition lol) - "I skated maybe 10 times in the summer" herpaderp. How to earn that 8 yr 64 million contract! Perhaps the most irresponsible (literal and intangible) player in the NHL. With a 'let my team-mates serve me' kind of attitude.

I'd have moved him long ago - however, now he comes with a ridiculous term - as bloated as his attitude. Good luck moving that for a decent return. Imo he is in pure contract/cap dump territory - and few teams can afford the sum of what you get with Phil Kessel.

He's a "leader" on an absolutely horrible puck possession team - and leads them in that sense as well - and what exactly has he actually done to improve? The opinion/attitude that not everyone can or has to play defense is laughable. It's a peewee perspective and absolutely unacceptable at the NHL level.

I have to laugh at the suggestion that Kessel plays without a #1 center. He is gifted with a two way center however - Bozak not only has 30 points, but he's already a +27 with 42 takeaways, is 52.5% in the faceoff circle - without Bozak that line simply never has or regains possession. Bozak is the one who doesn't deserve the trash he is served.

As a huge Islanders fan, I've gone through the lowest of lows with them. And although Snow has made some brutal trades, I've always said that you can't say he doesn't at least try and improve the team. While you have some GMs on one end of the spectrum who are too afraid to trade away any pieces (i.e. Oilers), Snow is on the opposite end and is not afraid to cut ties with players or picks to improve.

While this does not work out all the time (i.e. Nino, Vanek/Moulson/1st rounder), the guy has absolutely handled his contracts he's handed out better than any other GM in the NHL, and was able to shore up his goaltending and defensive problems this off-season very, very quickly.

Again, I'm a huge Islanders fan and have slapped my forehead more than enough times over Snow's boneheaded decisions, he has not set back the Isles nearly as badly as Nonis has.

But overall, Snow has made the right decisions - and it shows in the standings. The Islanders have never been higher in the standings than in recent memory.

They're turning Grabner (which they picked up on waivers for free) into an all-round player - and he is on their PK with Capuano. Nobody could've seen that. McKenzie called him a 'one-dimensional' player with lots of offence and speed.

Their defence core is young but producing right now.

Islanders are fun to watch now.

Robidas is playing very well for them. 3 million for him right now is a bargain. However, he has 2.5 years left on his deal, and will be 40 at the end of it. So that bargain may quickly become an anchor.

he's been brutal, one of if not the worst players for them this season.

i dont blame you for not watching leafs games, but don't just make $&!# up.

Archived