The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Dreger] All Leafs players now potential trade targets

Claim Ryan White from waivers

Raymond, Ballard, White, 2nd, for Kessel and Rielly.

Why the Leafs do this: they get a true play maker in Raymond to help Kadri become a 100 point player. Ballard provides excellence defensive awareness which will help Dionne. White and Komarov will pound the opposition into next week. And if the Leafs are careful, that second rounder will be a Datsyuk type player.

Phaneufs actually having a decent season, and, for some reason, last time I checked Leaf stats he was a + player :0 . His and Phils contract would be tough to unload, however I can see a cap basement team taking a chance, I bet Edmonton would be interested in Phaneuf, he's obvously not the answer defensively, but he can get the puck to the forwards, he is still a good puck moving guy, and a good PP guy, something that Edmonton desperately needs.

I agree with a previous poster.........does every player have to have defensive game? Kessel is a scoring machine and has done so without laying with a legit #1 cman.

No I guess they don't. But it would help if he scored more if he offers nothing else for $8mil per. 36-37 goals per year, scored only when the game is going well for the team, combined with no hits, no blocked shots, no aggressiveness, no faceoff wins, plenty of giveaways, a pile of ghost efforts in a season, simply isn't ever going to get it done.

Remember, at the time they traded great picks to get a legit #1 cman. Instead they got Kessel. Whoops.

But overall, Snow has made the right decisions - and it shows in the standings. The Islanders have never been higher in the standings than in recent memory.

They're turning Grabner (which they picked up on waivers for free) into an all-round player - and he is on their PK with Capuano. Nobody could've seen that. McKenzie called him a 'one-dimensional' player with lots of offence and speed.

Their defence core is young but producing right now.

Islanders are fun to watch now.

Grabner's been on their pk before there. 2nd unit. That's to introduce a speedy scoring threat to keep 2nd unit pointmen honest. Nielsen is the all-round player.

They have a lot of young forwards in the lineup right now. Canucks better be quick on their feet.

But overall, Snow has made the right decisions - and it shows in the standings. The Islanders have never been higher in the standings than in recent memory.

They're turning Grabner (which they picked up on waivers for free) into an all-round player - and he is on their PK with Capuano. Nobody could've seen that. McKenzie called him a 'one-dimensional' player with lots of offence and speed.

Their defence core is young but producing right now.

Islanders are fun to watch now.

With that deep a prospect pool (and high end) they were bound to make improvements if they figured out how to get a goalie worth having and stabilized their D. Snow made good moves this year in Leddy and Boychuck but he's also made bad moves in the Moulson/Vanek debacle and his handling of prospects like Neidereitter.

Nonis is capable of a good trade now and again as well, he did bring in Luongo after all.

But speaking of the Leafs, they'll have open phones on their overpriced, underperforming roster players but they won't be willing to part with anyone of any value to another team - at least without an overpayment. I don't see us going after anyone, apart from to ask about the good prospects/players and find out they want way too much.

The Leafs have a winning record... just saying..

They are currently in 8th, but have Boston 1 point behind (they can't stay as bad as they've been of late) and Florida 2 points back - with 3 games in hand.

What they've been trying hasn't been working and it's showing no signs of getting better soon. They're like the Oilers in that sense - but with less young talent - and need to make something happen to get the team in the right direction. I don't think removing Carlyle is enough.

Claim Ryan White from waivers

Raymond, Ballard, White, 2nd, for Kessel and Rielly.

Why the Leafs do this: they get a true play maker in Raymond to help Kadri become a 100 point player. Ballard provides excellence defensive awareness which will help Dionne. White and Komarov will pound the opposition into next week. And if the Leafs are careful, that second rounder will be a Datsyuk type player.

Why wouldn't we just keep the 2nd rounder then if it means getting the next Datsyuk? :rolleyes:

Perhaps some reality / objective outcomes will help you understand. He is quite possible the premier floater in the entire NHL.

Kessel is an absolutely horrible puck possession player. He has the second highest offensive zone starts among Leafs forwards and arguably the worst underlying numbers on the entire team - only JVR can really compete in that sense. Kessel's corsi on of -20.31 is all about himself - he's the weak link that sinks his line's possession. Quite possibly the worst two way player in the entire NHL.

He's 3rd worst among all NHL forwards with a -17 turnover differential already this season - and if that's not indication enough of his irresponsibility (even with the puck) - he was an epic -51 last season, the worst among NHL forwards bar none, with 88 giveaways (2nd worst among NHL forwards).

Add to the reality that he is an absolute passenger without the puck, and one of the NHL's most prolific producers of turnovers when he does have the puck - add to that his lack of commitment to fitness (shows up in Vladimir Krutov condition lol) - "I skated maybe 10 times in the summer" herpaderp. How to earn that 8 yr 64 million contract! Perhaps the most irresponsible (literal and intangible) player in the NHL.

I have to laugh at the suggestion that Kessel plays without a #1 center. He is gifted with a two way center however - Bozak not only has 30 points, but he's already a +27 with 42 takeaways, is 52.5% in the faceoff circle - without Bozak that line simply never has or regains possession. Bozak is the one who doesn't deserve the trash he is served.

Yet he continues to produce elite offensive numbers. For the past 4 years he is in the top 10 points scored. Yes he has flaws and they would be even more meaningful if he wasn't producing offensively.

I get your argument and I know you put 100% faith in analytics but they don't discount actual production. I can personally over look his flaws (or anyone's) as long as they are proficient at other aspects. Though I do agree that he deserves criticism for his poor defensive play only because he has a high salary. It comes with the territory.

And Kessel isn't out of shape; unless you call 6 feet 200 pounds 'fat'. He doesn't have to train all summer and come to camp in the best shape because it doesn't affect his play at all. He still produces offensively regardless. Will losing 10 pounds improve his defensive play? I highly doubt it.

Franson could really help us right now. I wonder if we could get away with Shinkaruk for him. Let's be straight Canucks fans, rumors have been floating around Shink since Benning got here.

That's fine to think that but IMHO Franson isn't the guy to help us. He's a nice complimentary piece but isn't a puck rusher which is our first need on D. Certainly not worth a recent 1st when we have little chance of re-signing him...if we'd even want to, which I don't think we would at his expected asking price for a LTC.

Franson has some decent creativity on the backend and a plus shot but he's a below average defender and not at all physical for his size. Someone will want him...I'd say Carolina...but he's a bad fit for us. Personally I would be disappointed if he was our target. Reilly all day long but that would require Nonis signing his own termination papers immediately.

I could see something like Eric Staal for Franson and Kadri though.

David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor 1m1 minute ago

"They (Phaneuf and Kessell) are untradeable...they are both grossly overpaid."--former Leaf exec @RealBillWatters on #mackoandcauz #tsn1050

They should chop off Nonis now too. Start that search so that the new GM can pick his own coach and dismantle the roster himself.

Bill waters needs to go take a nap, has he not heard of retaining salary...

This is the guy who said that if Toronto traded for Luongo they would be screwed, last time I checked TO still doesn't have a bonafide goalie

Trade Reilly for O'Reilly

Small cap hit, highly touted defensemen for an already overpaid RFA? Nothing at all against O'Reilly and his play, but he won't re-sign with Toronto for anything less than what he's currently getting paid. Great trade for Colorado, awful for Toronto.

Trade JVR for Shattenkirk

Shattenkirk currently has 35 points in 39 games and gets paid $4.25/year. St. Louis literally barfs all over this trade.

Trade Nylander for Lack

Lack is no better than Reimer, how does this help them?

All in all, awful proposals.

Bill waters needs to go take a nap, has he not heard of retaining salary...

This is the guy who said that if Toronto traded for Luongo they would be screwed, last time I checked TO still doesn't have a bonafide goalie

wtf Without Bernier they would not have assembled their winning streak they recently had.

This is why this firing is hilarious to me. They win when Bernier is hot. So Carlyle managed to get the wins he could from his group.

Yet he continues to produce elite offensive numbers. For the past 4 years he is in the top 10 points scored. Yes he has flaws and they would be even more meaningful if he wasn't producing offensively.

I get your argument and I know you put 100% faith in analytics but they don't discount actual production. I can personally over look his flaws (or anyone's) as long as they are proficient at other aspects. Though I do agree that he deserves criticism for his poor defensive play only because he has a high salary. It comes with the territory.

And Kessel isn't out of shape; unless you call 6 feet 200 pounds 'fat'. He doesn't have to train all summer and come to camp in the best shape because it doesn't affect his play at all. He still produces offensively regardless. Will losing 10 pounds improve his defensive play? I highly doubt it.

It's not simply analytics RM.

It's also just the facts around his production.

Kessel is spoon fed opportunity - and yet he has only 25 even strength points this year. To put that in perspective, it's a shade better than Bonino who's been on a month stretch where he's struggling to produce - but in Bonino's case, he has among the lowest offensive zone starts on the team, strongest quality of competition, a great deal of takeaways, and far better underlying numbers - and his production is with 2nd line minutes.

40% of Kessel's production comes on the powerplay.

The opposition takes 20 more shots per 60 minutes with Kessel on the ice than the Leafs do - and outscore them. . That is a massive deficit, considering they taylor his minutes as best they can for him. Hockey is a two way game - and Kessel overall is a wash imo.

Archived