The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mock Draft 1.0 - 2015

chickenman92

Here's a mock draft I did up for a site I write for. Enjoy

Canucks Pick: Nicolas Meloche, D, Baie-Comeau

http://www.puckrant.com/index.php/component/k2/item/1613-mock-draft-1-0-mcdavid-eichel-strome-oh-my

Good, solid, all-around defenceman that should play in the NHL for a long time. The guy can play in all situations and isn't shy about taking the body. He doesn't fight much, but he will stick up for teammates when needed - the guy can seriously go.

I think Meloche would be a good pick. But assuming this mock draft was accurate, I'd consider taking Mikko Rantanen, Konecny, or Sprong.

Rantanen is a big 6'4 PWF that would look real nice on the wings with Virtanen in the future in my opinion.

However, picking Meloche would be a good pick too since he's a right handed D that seems to be putting up some really nice numbers in the Q.

Edit: Actually, if Rasmus Andersson is available, I'd definitely take him instead of Meloche. Nothing on Meloche, I just think Andersson would be a really good fit for the Canucks,

i'ld like meloche too, but part of me would like us to take big lawson crouse...

If anything Crouse's performance at the world juniors gave him a big boost in terms of his draft rankings. I feel he will go early.

Canucks need to take a high quality Dman, there is just no option because if we continue to ignore that area our D will suffer likes the Oilers do now in the future.

Meloche, Andersson, Roy or Werenski would do

More from NHL.com. Looks like a can't-miss type of prospect.

Defenseman Rasmus Andersson, who is considered a top prospect eligible for the 2015 NHL Draft, will join the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League in 2014-15.

The announcement was made on Monday by Colts general manager Jason Ford.

The 6-foot, 214-pound right-shot Andersson spent the past two seasons with Malmo in Sweden's Allsvenskan. This season will mark his first playing hockey in North America.

"Andersson will enter the OHL as a rookie but already brings a wealth of experience; having played against men the past two seasons in Sweden," Ford told barriecolts.com. "He is a well-rounded defenseman that will help stabilize the back-end, and enters the OHL trying to pursue his dream of being an NHL player. We are very excited about this addition to our lineup."

In July, Andersson was named to NHL Central Scouting's Futures list of the top players eligible for 2015 draft in Sunrise, Fla. He is the son of former NHL player Peter Andersson, who played for the New York Rangers and Florida Panthers, and the brother of Calle Andersson, drafted in the fourth round (No. 119) by the New York Rangers in 2012.

Andersson, 17, had three goals, 13 points and a plus-4 rating in 43 games for Malmo in 2013-14. The youngest player on the roster ranked fourth in team scoring among defensemen.

Not sure why he's outside of the first round in any mock, considering he's a big, solid ppg d-man in the OHL.

Definitely way better option for defenseman in the mid-late 1st round than last year. Can't see the Canucks picking yet another forward unless we are top 10-12 (which so far is unlikely).

However way too early to say which one, lots of time for players to climb/drop in the rankings.

Really liking Rasmus Andersson for that later 1st pick. I think we should try for Werenski or Kylington if we end up picking higher.

Second round option for a forward could be Yakov Trenin 36p in 31gp, has the size just needs to put on 10 pounds. In goal there's big 6'3 Maxim Tretiak out of the MHL, recently got called up to the K, he's a project but could be a reliable backup to Demko some day.

Really liking Rasmus Andersson for that later 1st pick. I think we should try for Werenski or Kylington if we end up picking higher.

Second round option for a forward could be Yakov Trenin 36p in 31gp, has the size just needs to put on 10 pounds. In goal there's big 6'3 Maxim Tretiak out of the MHL, recently got called up to the K, he's a project but could be a reliable backup to Demko some day.

Call me crazy, but you don't pick a "future backup" goalie with a 1st round pick. Specially when the one he's backing is actually a 2nd rounder lol

EDIT : NVM missed the part about second round option

If Konecny is available when the Canucks pick (which he is in your mock) I can't see them not taking him. Especially that late. He has 1C potential written all over him, is a competitive guy, and plays a great game. He was a top ten projected pick in this draft class before he got out to his slow start which can be somewhat accounted for since he isn't playing on the greatest of teams. Also, he is Horvat's cousin.

Archived