The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video Shows Russian Player Throw Stick Into Crowd After Loss To Canada

hsedin33

If I caught the stick...

"Sweet! Free stick!"

If I got hit in the face by the stick...

"F--- that guy! He should get suspended, then fined, then kicked out of any future international competition!"

I'd get one of the Canadian players to sign it ;)

This is kind of an odd thing to say, but this totally seems like something Vladimir Putin would do if he was in that game...

Well, I think that is a pretty classless thing to do...And now I'm just over-thinking whether it might be intentional or not because it could be like the Russian player didn't even think about what would happen after when he's going to throw his stick into the crowd. In that means, more like maybe he had intentional to throw it of course, but not to hurt someone?! Could possibly be just an act of being super upset that they lost the Gold Medal on the spot?...Plus, knowing that the players at the juniors are pretty young, he's probably just a young guy who didn't think about the consequences of throwing that stick at the moment of frustration? However, even that is no excuse. He should apologize. I feel bad for the fan who gets hit by it, looks like he threw the stick really hard. Hopefully nobody was really hurt badly by it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/06/vladislav-gavrikov-stick-canada_n_6425306.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular&ir=Canada

Sorry cant get video or pic to work, just use the link. I never even saw this until now..

Video Shows Russian Player Throw Stick Into Crowd After Loss To Canada

Talk about a sore loser.

A Russian player was captured on video tossing his stick into the stands in frustration after losing 5-4 to Canada at the World Juniors on Monday. The video was posted toYouTube by Cameron Smith and enhanced by Global News.

TSN's BarDown reports that a fan was hit by the stick and that Toronto Police met with the victim after the game.

It's not immediately clear which Russian player threw the stick. Global and Sun News suggest it was Russian defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov, but BarDown identifies the player as Paigin Ziyat. BarDown also snagged a photo of the unsportsmanlike conduct.

One thing is for sure, whoever threw the stick will likely face some form of punishment from the IIHF.

RELATED ON HUFFPOST:

or, they could have just looked at the scoresheet to see that it was Ziyat (at least according to the refs):

Penalty 60:00 60:00 RUS 20 min. 4 PAIGIN Z - Throwing a Stick or any Object

Something little?

If you're a fan getting a stick hurled at you after a game I'm sure you're thinking it's not just "something little". What if it was a kid that got hit? Don't let him off the hook so easily....sportsmanship is a huge part of the game and this has no place in it.

This is not "a kid"....this "kid" is an adult in that he could vote, drive, drink and would be considered an adult in court here. That makes him an adult.

What if the stick hit nothing but the stairs? What if someone had caught the stick and it was one of the greatest moments he's ever had? What if someone caught the stick, and gave it to a little kid and he was the happiest little boy alive?

I don't know about you, but if i caught a stick and got to bring it home, that would be pretty fricken' awesome. Having that stick as a memory of the game would be so legit..

EDIT: But yes, i agree, stupid move by the kid.. Doesn't need to act like such a sore loser, but still, "what if" arguments are rather weak

Disgraceful

classless goal celebration, all out classless.

glad we beat those clowns.

caught me by surprise. Throwing into the stand like that? that dangerous, I've also never seen that before, you argument is weak.

Not classless. Its emotion. They are still kids and this was probably the biggest game they've played in so far in their careers. Losing isn't fun

Archived