The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Islanders @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I would imagine the Kass-hatians will be silent tonight. Some solid play from him in just his second game back. Like he was doing before he got injured, he's back to controlling and protecting the puck along the boards, using his size and reach. Made a slick play to get in on goal and passed it to... Richie-Rich who did his usual flub, missing the net on a 2-on-1. Just like last year, how many countless times did we see Kass set him up and nothing to show for it?

We keep hearing "should Kassian play on the second line" when the question should be more, does Kassian need to play with more-skilled guys. The answer is YES. He looks good and works well with Matthias, but they need someone with hands in the middle who can do something with the puck when given to them. Undoubtedly why the name Bonino keeps coming up. If he continues to play well, Willie will recognize this, NOT because Kassian "deserves" it but because it's the right thing to do.

You're a noob that is jumping on the Bieksa haterz train.

This is the Canucks - go ahead and be critical when they make mistakes - but don't be a hater making snide remarks.

First of all, I haven't called you any names, so let's show a little maturity here.

Second of all I don't jump anyone's trains... I drive my own.

Sure Bieksa ended up a +1, however the particular play that really could have turned the tide is where he tried carrying it out of his zone after sustained pressure by the Isles instead of knocking it of the glass or a simple flip out. He figures he can skate it out, he's on his forehand making the high flip a real possibility. That particular play is a prime example of the many high risk plays he wants to make but doesn't have the skill set of other dmen to pull off. Make the simple play Bieksa, that is your strength

I agree with some posters. Sedins look like they are slowing down alot. Its so hard to watch. They are becoming too predictable and can't overpower the opposition when they have the puck. I dont know what else to say about them.

First of all, I haven't called you any names, so let's show a little maturity here.

Second of all I don't jump anyone's trains... I drive my own.

Sure Bieksa ended up a +1, however the particular play that really could have turned the tide is where he tried carrying it out of his zone after sustained pressure by the Isles instead of knocking it of the glass or a simple flip out. He figures he can skate it out, he's on his forehand making the high flip a real possibility. That particular play is a prime example of the many high risk plays he wants to make but doesn't have the skill set of other dmen to pull off. Make the simple play Bieksa, that is your strength

Don't. Just don't. He made a mistake - yes - but that;s not what you said earlier. Maturity? Oh the irony....

How are the Islanders one of the top teams in the league? They didn't look very dominating. Tavares didn't get a shot on goal. They lost to the Oilers and then to us. Are they overrated or just unmotivated?

Yeah they were nothing special tonight. Canucks basically stopped playing in the last 10 minutes though, and that's the only time the Isles really got anything going. Was expecting a bounce-back after getting beat in Edmonton.

To everyone hating on Bieksa let's be fair... The 2nd goal was caused by his inability to clear the puck but the first one was kind of a fluke. Could he have checked the stick? Sure. But it wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be - he was in good position.

And lets not forget his role in Bonino's goal..

That idiot O'halloran needs to check his phone, because he missed a bunch of major calls. I only started watching at the start of the 2nd, and the 2 refs did not call a SINGLE call against the Islanders despite my count of 7 obvious infractions, including 2 high sticks. The too many men wasn't even called by the refs but by the linesmen, so it's not like they even gave that.

I don't need the refs to favor us, but please for the love of hockey keep this slimy little pig away from Canucks games. Give as an honest ref, not this official who has shown an obvious bias in the last 5 years against this team. He should be banned from ever reffing again in the NHL, but I would settle for not having him ever call a Canucks game again.

He was on the ice for 2 goals against and one the ice for the 3 goals we scored.

I'll take that. If every player is on the ice for more goals for than against... Then we win the game.

Still. He has to be better. But that game wasn't horrible for him... He's plus 1

Sure, but at some point that catches up with you. It's like when you lose games but are playing very well -- eventually things turn around. Everyone's prone to mistakes and brain farts, but his tend to be so glaring. Something just seems to be off this year for him.

Guest Dasein

"That's what I need to do to stay in the lineup." - Kassian on playing physical

Lesson learned. Hopefully he finally puts it together and keeps it consistent from here on out

How are the Islanders one of the top teams in the league? They didn't look very dominating. Tavares didn't get a shot on goal. They lost to the Oilers and then to us. Are they overrated or just unmotivated?

Sitting Kassian and Vey seemed to have motivated them. Both played with a purpose. Nice to see Bonino break his slump. It's always a good win when the Sedins don't hit the scoresheet.

Well we have 2 games in hand and if we win both, we would be tied with NYI.

And some nights when you watch the Canucks you can hardly believe that they are one of the top teams in the West right now (2nd in Pacific division with games in hand).

Teams don't play their best every night and we certainly didn't get NYI's best game tonight.

I would imagine the Kass-hatians will be silent tonight. Some solid play from him in just his second game back. Like he was doing before he got injured, he's back to controlling and protecting the puck along the boards, using his size and reach. Made a slick play to get in on goal and passed it to... Richie-Rich who did his usual flub, missing the net on a 2-on-1. Just like last year, how many countless times did we see Kass set him up and nothing to show for it?

We keep hearing "should Kassian play on the second line" when the question should be more, does Kassian need to play with more-skilled guys. The answer is YES. He looks good and works well with Matthias, but they need someone with hands in the middle who can do something with the puck when given to them. Undoubtedly why the name Bonino keeps coming up. If he continues to play well, Willie will recognize this, NOT because Kassian "deserves" it but because it's the right thing to do.

Matthias Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson (when back) Burrows/ Hansen

Dorsett Horvat Hansen/ Burrows

That third would lose some of the size, but would become a solid shut down line. The second would be hard to beat along the boards with size in Matthias and Kassian, passing ability in Kassian and Bonino, and speed in Matthias.

If Weber is out PLEASE call up Sanguinetti to play a couple of games. His play in Utica is just begging to get a crack at some NHL minutes.

That idiot O'halloran needs to check his phone, because he missed a bunch of major calls. I only started watching at the start of the 2nd, and the 2 refs did not call a SINGLE call against the Islanders despite my count of 7 obvious infractions, including 2 high sticks. The too many men wasn't even called by the refs but by the linesmen, so it's not like they even gave that.

I don't need the refs to favor us, but please for the love of hockey keep this slimy little pig away from Canucks games. Give as an honest ref, not this official who has shown an obvious bias in the last 5 years against this team. He should be banned from ever reffing again in the NHL, but I would settle for not having him ever call a Canucks game again.

Arg I didn't want to mention it after a win but the canucks once again won IN SPITE OF THE HORRIBLE OFFICIATING. This league is a joke. The non call on the trip against burrows with 1 minute and change left... That just made me lose it.

Matthias Bonino Kassian

Higgins Richardson (when back) Burrows/ Hansen

Dorsett Horvat Hansen/ Burrows

That third would lose some of the size, but would become a solid shut down line. The second would be hard to beat along the boards with size in Matthias and Kassian, passing ability in Kassian and Bonino, and speed in Matthias.

If Weber is out PLEASE call up Sanguinetti to play a couple of games. His play in Utica is just begging to get a crack at some NHL minutes.

I would rather sit Bieksa and have Sangs and a half-brained Weber as 3rd pairing.

Arg I didn't want to mention it after a win but the canucks once again won IN SPITE OF THE HORRIBLE OFFICIATING. This league is a joke. The non call on the trip against burrows with 1 minute and change left... That just made me lose it.

They took a beating tonight, gonna be a lot of icepacks gettin' used.

Weber needs maintenance, Bobby needs a game jersey!

Archived