The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Islanders @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I know we've played a few less games, but the Canucks are suddenly playing like a very defensively-sound two-way team (and that's without Hamhuis). GA is tops in the division, and a our differential is +12 (also tops). Last night's game could have been mistaken for a road game. Kept it very simple. Even with a few gaffs by Juice, the usual bonehead Stanton penalties, and the faceoff dominance by the Islander, they couldn't really generate much meaningful zone time on us. Gap control was A+.

Let's keep putting up 2's with our games in hand.

I wouldn't have called a penalty on him, one of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed. Burrows was tripped going for a loose puck, could have been a two one one, no call, yet they call a ticky tack penalty on Stanton.

I wouldn't have called a penalty on him, one of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed. Burrows was tripped going for a loose puck, could have been a two one one, no call, yet they call a ticky tack penalty on Stanton.

And a two on one on an empty net. I can't believe they miss a call like that.... It happened right in front of the linesman and referee.

Listen. There is 0 doubt in my mind nhl officials have it out for Vancouver. Had games been called even this year Vancouver would be ahead of Anaheim who had many wins handed to them. The two canucks games , the Detroit game, the Winnipeg game, etc.

The nhl referees are single handedly decided who finishes first in the pacific and are trying to make sure Vancouver finishes last. It's a freaking joke.

I wonder if all fanbases think the refs have it out for their team or is it just a Canucks fan thing? Don't get me wrong, I've seen the refs crap the bed quite a few times during our games but that's true for any team in the league as well.

The difference is, the refs are consistent with the Canucks.

Unfortunately, it's not the type of consistency fans of any team want to see. Consistently bad.

It's not just 1 game here or there - it's almost every game.

Probably both plays that he would like to have back. Was in good position on the first but you're still disappointed when that isn't enough. Second one was pretty careless given the time in the game. According to the box score he's a plus one so he still find a way to make up for errors last night. He still plays hard and gritty and he's a leader.

Would he like to have the first one back? I'm sure he would. However, if by that you're saying that he deserves the blame for that goal, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I wonder if all fanbases think the refs have it out for their team or is it just a Canucks fan thing? Don't get me wrong, I've seen the refs crap the bed quite a few times during our games but that's true for any team in the league as well.

Many fanbases do, I am sure. Even when watching the same game as another.

Pretty poor reffing job last night, but it's a lot easier to take when the Canucks still get the win. Earlier in the game, it looked more like they were just letting them play, but when Stanton gets called, but Henrik and Burrows gets dropped in similar fashion later on and no call, I was surprised. Hopefully just a bad day. While I get pissed about bad reffing, I try not to be one of the conspiracy guys. There are some in my family who are, but I need to drown it out to stay sane and enjoy the game.

Well done Eddie and the gang!

canucks fans have it fresh in their collective memories getting absolutely jobbed by the refs in the playoffs two years in a row

it's a sore spot for sure

"They are legit after running 5-1-1.

Again, I hate to bring up last year, but this team still needs to win their next two games just to match them, and get 5 points in 3 games.

It's still too early to tell whether or not this team has turned a corner.

as I said in another thread......f we were to go back and look at posts, you'd see there were quite a few knowledgeable posters warning that the shoe was going to drop because they were playing very very poorly through December and were lucky to have an extremely easy sched.

Their play this season is much much much better and regardless of how they finish, this season has already been a successful compared to last season.

Not sure why people here hate Bieksa so much. He played a high number of tough minutes again and is one of the only guys back there we have who can make a play with the puck. This defense without him right now would be perforated.

so nice of you to chime in after he has a good game...

canucks fans have it fresh in their collective memories getting absolutely jobbed by the refs in the playoffs two years in a row

it's a sore spot for sure

Thank you for that. The NHL does its best work when trying to make sure that traditional hockey markets don't get a sniff. They tease their fanbases with second place finishes, and that's it.

This is a pretty big contradiction. Players can perform at a high level but still be on the decline.

The Sedins are still getting a good amount points. Doesn't mean they haven't deteriorated. Daniel is on pace for roughly 18 goals this season which is even worse then his 16 in 73 last season. And everyone knows last year was one of our worst in the past decade. The player who used to be our primary goal scorer at $7 million isn't on pace to even break 20 goals? That's kind of bad. As for Henrik... sigh. SO MANY times have I wanted to throw something at the TV when Henrik goes for a pass yet he had a great chance to score.

When the team is asleep, the Sedins are also asleep. As leaders, they need to be able to breathe some life back into the team... which hasn't been noticable on the ice. Hockey fans understandably want more from their team's best players.

On paper, yes they are pretty consistent. But if you watch most Canucks games these days, you'd notice the twins feel like they're missing something. Mind you both of them are still great players, but its hard for fans to watch their team's top players lose that "super" in "superstar". It's as heartbreaking as seeing someone not finishing their beer.

good post.

Seems like some on this board are over-reacting to anyone that comments on the very real fact of the Sedins' decline, especially Daniel. Its not "hating" on them to just recognize this. And its transparently disingenuous to imply they are still at the top of their game. Perhaps there's no conequences if a CDC poster is fine with convincing themselves that nothing has or ever will change with the Sedins as they age, but i hope Benning doesn't have the same twin glasses on.

I think we have much more excellent Sedinery to watch and enjoy in the next years, but I can face it, it will be more far and few between. The remorse is partly selfish of course. We were spoiled for years watching these great players in their prime, and I miss that. And I'll always be grateful. But lets not kid ourselves, the Sedins chance at a Stanley Cup in Vancouver is over...at least as dominant players. Benning will have to be a wizard on the phone and trading, plus one or two of our prospects will have to magically mature way beyond their projections in the next couple of years in order for us to have a chance at the Cup when the Sedins are still here.

Nothing to dwell on, but its kind of sad. The same would have happened if Bure had remained with the Canucks.

Archived