The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Vancouver-Buffalo (Grigorenko)

With Buffalo having a log jam in the middle with Reinhart, Girgensens, Ennis, Hodgson and potentially another high drafted center this year, Grigorenko is probably available for the right price.

He's a good, skilled center that hasn't done well in Buffalo. He's got the Russian factor but despite being sent to the minors and AHL he hasn't bolted for the KHL so that's a good sign.

We have no offensively gifted young centers in our system. Just a bunch of good two way centers. Grigorenko would be a welcome addition and potential 1C to take over for the Sedin's in a couple years.

They are not really missing anything from their prospect pool besides a good young goaltender and another young winger. They could use some good vets to help bring up their prospects and avoid becoming the Oilers, having a team consisting of junior players and NHLers who couldn't play good defense to save their life.

Would a trade around Higgins and Lack for Grigorenko work? Maybe Jensen? What would it take to pry him out of Buffalo?

I would prefer a canadian #1 center. This isnt anything against players from other countries. But your #1 center is arguable the most important position outside goaltending. Canadian kids grow up watching, obsessing about hockey. Look at the magic, the swagger, and the intensity canadian kids have. Having a #1 center who grew up in this climate would only make them and their team that much better. No knock on any non canadian center. Just my thoughts. Sounds kinda elitest but look at team canada. Canadians centers usually have another gear. Russians are pretty good 2 but then u gotta worry about the KHL.

Reinhart be my first choice. That poise in the world jrs in the final seconds. Thats a guy thats going to win championships.

I'd pull the trigger.

That said, Buffalo's been good at getting value in their trades so even if it's for an "excessive" prospect (not sure that exists, if anything a stacked pipeline is a luxury that should be exploited to its full value) they should at least get fair value, maybe another good young prospect or player. Even then, I'd do it as long as we don't give up a D-man, we don't have enough of those going forward.

With Buffalo having a log jam in the middle with Reinhart, Girgensens, Ennis, Hodgson and potentially another high drafted center this year, Grigorenko is probably available for the right price.

He's a good, skilled center that hasn't done well in Buffalo. He's got the Russian factor but despite being sent to the minors and AHL he hasn't bolted for the KHL so that's a good sign.

We have no offensively gifted young centers in our system. Just a bunch of good two way centers. Grigorenko would be a welcome addition and potential 1C to take over for the Sedin's in a couple years.

They are not really missing anything from their prospect pool besides a good young goaltender and another young winger. They could use some good vets to help bring up their prospects and avoid becoming the Oilers, having a team consisting of junior players and NHLers who couldn't play good defense to save their life.

Would a trade around Higgins and Lack for Grigorenko work? Maybe Jensen? What would it take to pry him out of Buffalo?

Why would Buffalo need or want Lack and Higgins?

Your proposal makes no sense.

I would prefer a canadian #1 center. This isnt anything against players from other countries. But your #1 center is arguable the most important position outside goaltending. Canadian kids grow up watching, obsessing about hockey. Look at the magic, the swagger, and the intensity canadian kids have. Having a #1 center who grew up in this climate would only make them and their team that much better. No knock on any non canadian center. Just my thoughts. Sounds kinda elitest but look at team canada. Canadians centers usually have another gear. Russians are pretty good 2 but then u gotta worry about the KHL.

Reinhart be my first choice. That poise in the world jrs in the final seconds. Thats a guy thats going to win championships.

Datsyuk and Kopitar have been the #1 centres on 3 of the past 8 SC winners (Krejci was arguably the #1 when Boston won as well which would mean 4 of 8). So yeah, a Canadian #1 centre isn't really a necessity.

At the rate we are going we will be picking 20-30. At that range there are two way forwards and defensemen. Nothing of Grigorenko's calibre or size. And its going to take more to move up in the draft than it would take to grab Grigorenko.

I don't think anyone would have a problem if our pick was 30th overall.

Higgins is a good two way 3rd/2nd line tweener to give the young guys a vet presence and help bring them up . Lack is arguably better than both Enroth and Neuvirth. Jensen gives them a potential top 6 winger. I never said these guys only. Its just an idea.

And Horvat is another C that would add to the log jam.

I would be ecstatic if we picked 30th also. But that has nothing to do with the discussion

Datsyuk and Kopitar have been the #1 centres on 3 of the past 8 SC winners (Krejci was arguably the #1 when Boston won as well which would mean 4 of 8). So yeah, a Canadian #1 centre isn't really a necessity.

Very good point. I'd take either of them any day of the week. I think though that I understand the Canadian perspective too. Vancouver hasn't had any Canadian icons up front since Linden in his Prime, and even then, he wasn't a superstar or anything. We did have Luongo, who was an all star goalie, but up front on forward, we've had Naslund, the Sedin's, and Kesler leading us. Bertuzzi had amazing seasons, but he's really been the only Canadian star forward we've had in over a decade.

.......orrrrrr the Canucks can just wait until Grigorenko becomes a restricted free agent after the season is over and offer him more money than everybody else. Then the Canucks would get him for free. If they traded for him now, he would basically be a rental.

Why would you even trade for him? He's going to be a restricted free agent this summer.

Trading ensures contract rights. If you offer him something stupid when he's a RFA, he'll take it, nobody will match, and Van will be stuck with another overpriced contract based on what the guy could possibly do. If the Nucks offer him what he's actually worth, then Buffalo will match. Also, offer sheeting players is a good way to piss off other teams. Buffalo and Van have a decent relationship, and I would hate to see that go to waste over a kid who's done nothing.

Just read your other post....How is trading for a player who's set to become a RFA bringing in a rental?

.......orrrrrr the Canucks can just wait until Grigorenko becomes a restricted free agent after the season is over and offer him more money than everybody else. Then the Canucks would get him for free. If they traded for him now, he would basically be a rental.

It's not for free.

Grigorenko to Vancouver is definitely an interesting prospect though.

Most of them are failed future top line centers, I'd either make a serious play for Reinhart who is going to be a star in this league, or their 1st round pick which will most likely be a top-5 pick. McDavid and Eichel will probably fall to Edmonton, Columbus or Carolina and I think Buffalo will do better than bottom-2, but a top-5 pick would still snag us a future first line center with the likes of Strome etc.

Shinkaruk or Virtanen + our 1st round pick in 2015 (most likey around 20th overall) + Stanton/Markstrom if required for Buffalo's 1st round pick (most likely top-5).

Archived