The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yannick Weber Appreciation Thread

Dazzle

Give Sbisa, Bieksa, or Stanton Weber's minutes, zone starts, and competition they would look good too. The other 3 haven't played that well, but Weber plays less minutes and is given sheltered minutes.

This is a Weber appreciation thread. Go shove your advanced stats say something different where the sun don't shine!

Actually, Weber doesn't do that badly with the advanced stats. Using war-on-ice.com for Canuck defencemen, Weber stands 3rd behind the 1st pairing of Edler-Tanev in CorsiFor% and CorsiForRel.

Those that want him to play top-4 role will be disappointed. Those who realize that as a #7 d-man of course he's going to get some sheltered minutes, who consider his salary and his role and look at what he does dispassionately should be more than satisfied. I don't know what the Canucks intend to do with their 5 RFA defencemen for next year (plus Sanguinetti as an UFA) but I'd be pleased to see Weber stay.

• 2 months later...

Weber and Clendening are both horrible It should definitely be Stanton or Corrado playing right now.

We've seen both of the latter two play and they are "horrible".

I assume you're judging Weber and Clendening on the fact that they don't "produce" and Stanton/Corrado are not very offensive. Stanton does good with block shots, but is a tad slow and is prone to giveaways. Corrado is young so he gets a bit of a pass.

Weber had a poor game against the BJ's but then so did Bieksa, and Hammer. Too much pussyfooting around in their own end and Bieksa had one of those "Are you talking to me" games where he gets distracted all over ice with trying his little shoves, crosschecks and generally in a separate game of his own.

What I liked about when our D was riddled with injuries was the guys who came in generally ONLY played defence. That was all they wanted to do, keep the other guy from getting the puck and keeping it out of the D zone.

Now all the regulars are back we are seeing all the pinching nonsense, distracted play, over playing the puck and AOWL capers these veterans are capable of.

It seems they only turn up to play against the 'big" teams.

I liked Willie's comment after the game though. "That team you saw out there to-night, is who we are, until we show something different"

You could tell he was hurting and he was pointing the finger not only at himself but at the way these guys can't get up for the "lesser" teams and how it will come back and bite us.

Weber had a poor game against the BJ's but then so did Bieksa, and Hammer. Too much pussyfooting around in their own end and Bieksa had one of those "Are you talking to me" games where he gets distracted all over ice with trying his little shoves, crosschecks and generally in a separate game of his own.

What I liked about when our D was riddled with injuries was the guys who came in generally ONLY played defence. That was all they wanted to do, keep the other guy from getting the puck and keeping it out of the D zone.

Now all the regulars are back we are seeing all the pinching nonsense, distracted play, over playing the puck and AOWL capers these veterans are capable of.

It seems they only turn up to play against the 'big" teams.

I liked Willie's comment after the game though. "That team you saw out there to-night, is who we are, until we show something different"

You could tell he was hurting and he was pointing the finger not only at himself but at the way these guys can't get up for the "lesser" teams and how it will come back and bite us.

I really agree with this comment.

Seems like the regular players going back in (our defense) is causing the most trouble. People are so lazy to point it at one depth defenseman which is hardly an accurate observation of why 6 goals went in the back of the net after obtaining a two goal lead.

It's obviously more than just one player "at fault" if you were to do the blame game.

I think the blame game is very childish. Professionals just take the responsibility and help rectify the issues.

Hes okay as a depth defenseman but i hate how he gets overconfident and starts making bad pinches all the time.

Maybe he feels pressure to make things happen. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case because he has some good defensemen breathing down his neck. He should be told by Willie the same thing Kenins and Kass was told, keep it simple. Mind you, as I said above there are a hell of a lot of others who need to keep it simple too.

At 650k he's a decent defenseman. He gives away the puck far too often, but other then that he's solid. That being said I don't think he's played well enough to deserve a doubling of his salary. 1m or under is my cap especially with a few AHL defenseman ready to make the leap here that can do exactly what he does for less.

We can bash or not bash the players but that doesn't change the fact that they have to play when they step on the ice. How many of us would like to be paid this kind of money for playing a kid's game? Sign me up. However, if the $10 an hour person fails to show up and perform on his/her job they are gone. Why do we hold our athletes up to different standards?

The Canucks don't have a defenceman that can control the play, play the point on the power play and also be a dominate force in his own end. We have a couple that have a few of these attributes but we don't have THAT guy to play the blueline. Until we do we will keep bashing (or not) the players we have.

Notice the record of the team when Bieksa and Hamhuis were out of the lineup. Has it dramatically changed either way since they have returned?

Bobby Sanguinetti another 2 assists, currently sits at +23, much better then your beloved warrior Bieksa's numbers in the AHL. The biggest mistake Doug Lidster made was not seeing what Bobby Sanguinetti could have brought to this team.

Enjoy your Weber and Bieksa because mark my words, these two will cost you a series or a playoff spot! Worst management decision ever, still angers me.

Edit he got another assist now at 3 points lol

gfycat.com/MarvelousDemandingHawaiianmonkseal <-- perfect shot by the D-man low and tippable. Oh, who on the Canucks' can shoot the puck like that currently?

We've seen both of the latter two play and they are "horrible".

I assume you're judging Weber and Clendening on the fact that they don't "produce" and Stanton/Corrado are not very offensive. Stanton does good with block shots, but is a tad slow and is prone to giveaways. Corrado is young so he gets a bit of a pass.

How the bloody hell is Stanton "horrible"? Argue all you want about the caliber of the players he's defending against from the other team, but the fact is when he's on the ice we score and the other team doesn't. Isn't that the point of a defenceman? He's our top plus minus player ahead of Alex Edler for god's sake and he's better then Weber, Corrado and Clendening. The only reason he's not on the ice right now is seniority.

Bobby Sanguinetti another 2 assists, currently sits at +23, much better then your beloved warrior Bieksa's numbers in the AHL. The biggest mistake Doug Lidster made was not seeing what Bobby Sanguinetti could have brought to this team.

Enjoy your Weber and Bieksa because mark my words, these two will cost you a series or a playoff spot! Worst management decision ever, still angers me.

Edit he got another assist now at 3 points lol

gfycat.com/MarvelousDemandingHawaiianmonkseal <-- perfect shot by the D-man low and tippable. Oh, who on the Canucks' can shoot the puck like that currently?

you do know points and success in the AHL doesn't always translate to the NHL?

what do you see that - actual professionals don't?

by your logic... every leading scorer in that league should be in the NHL.

I wish we had you as our GM

How the bloody hell is Stanton "horrible"? Argue all you want about the caliber of the players he's defending against from the other team, but the fact is when he's on the ice we score and the other team doesn't. Isn't that the point of a defenceman? He's our top plus minus player ahead of Alex Edler for god's sake and he's better then Weber, Corrado and Clendening. The only reason he's not on the ice right now is seniority.

You missed my point.

The other poster had no real justification or standard for calling Weber and Clendenning 'horrible'. He made mention about Weber's limited offensive production, yet neither Stanton OR Corrado have shown it either when in the line up.

I just assumed that his rationale was offensive production - because even when Weber was out of the line and one or both were in the line up, they didn't do very much, if at all.

Stanton's a really good shot blocker, which I had already mentioned in the post, but he's not great with offensive nor has he been all that reliable with his slow speed and giveaways.

Nobody's perfect but people are/were overrating Corrado, who's basically just a rookie.

Archived