The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton fired Tyler Dellow (summer of analytics hire)

Further to what oldnews already said, it seems a bit unrealistic to expect analytics to make an on-ice difference in the space of half a season.

Yes, they might tell you which players match up better is certain situations, but if you don't have enough players who can make a difference in the first place, what good are all those numbers? IMO, the value (or lack thereof) should become evident a few seasons down the road, when GMs use the information provided by the analytics guys to decide on which free agents to pursue, what trades will help help the team in the immediate future and what draft picks will make a difference down the road.

Far too small a sample size to call Analytics a failure or a success, IMHO.

Further to what oldnews already said, it seems a bit unrealistic to expect analytics to make an on-ice difference in the space of half a season.

Yes, they might tell you which players match up better is certain situations, but if you don't have enough players who can make a difference in the first place, what good are all those numbers? IMO, the value (or lack thereof) should become evident a few seasons down the road, when GMs use the information provided by the analytics guys to decide on which free agents to pursue, what trades will help help the team in the immediate future and what draft picks will make a difference down the road.

Far too small a sample size to call Analytics a failure or a success, IMHO.

I'm totally assuming here but I doubt he would have had much input anyway. Management is going to be making all of the key decisions, not some blogger plucked off of the internet.

Regardless, for anyone to use this as the launchpad for some anti-analytics rant is pretty ridiculous. Exploring different avenues of analysis to evaluate your team isn't some magical pill that makes your team exponentially better overnight.

I'm totally assuming here but I doubt he would have had much input anyway. Management is going to be making all of the key decisions, not some blogger plucked off of the internet.

Regardless, for anyone to use this as the launchpad for some anti-analytics rant is pretty ridiculous. Exploring different avenues of analysis to evaluate your team isn't some magical pill that makes your team exponentially better overnight.

It's not as much a rant on analytics as it is a rant on how stupidly overblown the story was over the summer. I would have fully expected all NHL teams to have their numbers guys employed for years and years, but last summer this was all apparently new to everyone? Please.

If Edmonton has decided that analytics are a waste of their time, and are going to revert to trusting the judgement of the Oilers alumni club, this could get even more comical.

I'd take an intelligent, number crunching geek over their management any day.

The Oilers third line for the first half of the season was Draisaitl and Yakupov, getting 70%+ offensive zone stars, giving up a sink hole of territory (27% and 24% lower offensive zone finishes than starts!) , and producing virtually nothing. This while they already have a bunch of youngsters in their top six that have their own tendencies towards one-way, one dimensional hockey.

That could quite possibly be the stupidest approach to winning hockey games I have ever seen at the NHL level.

Archived